What psu do i need?

robin banks uk

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
Hello i was looking at some Power Supply Calculators but they seem to say Different Power Supplys to use!

please someone help!!!!

do i need a 700w?

The parts i am going to use:

AMD Phenom 965 Bundle Deal Including ASUS M4A79XTD EVO Motherboard, Phenom 965 Black Edition Processor (maybe overclock), GEIL 4GB DDR3 Black Dragon Memory and Windows 7 Home premium Edition plus, Colin Mcrae Dirt 2,sapphire redoeon hd 5770,

for the pc case i will have Front: 140mm Red LED Fan x 1
Top: 140mm Fan x 1 120mm Fan x 1 (might Included)
Rear: 120mm Red LED Fan x 1
Side: Acrylic window; supports 120mm x 2 (might Included)

please help

Regards rob

RickyT23

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
Well it depend on the brand or quality of the PSU. An good PSU like a Corsair or Antec or suchlike you would get away with a 550 or 600watt. A very poor make and 700 watts could not even be enough.

The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the +12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the +12 volt rail(s) can power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are a few exceptions like the new ATI Radeon HD 5770 cards which use less power due to their energy efficiency.

A high quality 500 to 550 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 40 amps. A high quality 700 to 750 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 60 amps.

In addition the power supply should be at least 80+ Bronze certified for energy efficiency. There are some models available which have achieved 80+ Silver and 80+ Gold Certifications.

Before purchasing a new psu you will need to decide whether you will eventually have a pc with one or two video cards.

Here are the official ATI power supply requirements for the ATI Radeon HD 5770 and 5750 video cards:

450 Watt or greater power supply with one 75 watt, 6-pin PCI Express® power connector recommended

600 Watt or greater power supply with two 75 watt, 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode

The recommendations are for an entire pc system.

Corsair and Seasonic are two of the brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units.