Sign in with
Your question

Advices in building budget/gaming rig around $1200

Last response: in Systems
January 9, 2010 7:29:52 PM

Need a lot of advices from people who know things about building:)  I've already know a lot but my weakest area is the motherboard which i'm almost completly unsure about. I want to have a system that will is ready for upgrading in the future such as two PCI-E slots for another grapphics and maybe potential to overclock?. The three main questions are:

1. An intel Quad core OR Intel core i5 in a socket 1156? But is it really necessary to go for the i5?

2. DDR2 or DDR3 memory? Really necessary in a budget/gamer rig? or is it good to have ddr3 to keep up with the development in the future?

3. Is it a given fact to have support for PCI-E 2.0 on the mainboard or will that only raise the bill for me? Im thinking of something like a Geforce GTX 260 for the grapphics.

4. What gives the most performance for the money? An SSD or two HDD's in RAID 0* around 300gb?

* I'm not really sure about RAID but where the sama data is written on both drives, and where you then have 2 drives reading the same data which gives more perf.

5. Please give a few examples of mainboards that may go along with my demands so i can check them out.

January 10, 2010 3:50:26 PM

1. i5 750 is a quad, but the newer Clarkdale 32nm chips are dualies. If you want a quad, 750 is the best bang. LGA 775 is outdated, and in my books, dead. Nope, not necessarily i5, if you have a small budget, AMD is a good choice. i.e. Athlon II x3.

2. DDR3 no contest. Yes, if you, say, get 4 gigs for now, you can always pick another 4 gigs and throw 'em in the pc. DDR2 will be discontinued and is on the way out. It'll get more and more expensive by the day. FYI, DDR2 & DDR3 cost about the same for the same amount of memory. i.e. 4gb vs 4gb.

3. Most of the boards support PCI-E 2.0. It's a non-issue. GTX 260 is a good mid-range non-rebrand.

4. SSD for performance. HDD for storage. Bet a small 30GB SSD & a large 1TB HDD. Call it a day.

5. If you're going i5, you want this one. It does BOTH SLI & Crossfire, in addition to USB 3 & SATA 6. The difference between this and the slightly cheaper GB board is the GB will disable USB 3 & SATA 6 when the 2nd PCI-E slot is used. Get the ASUS.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
January 10, 2010 6:06:49 PM

p55ibexpeak said:
1. i5 750 is a quad, but the newer Clarkdale 32nm chips are dualies. If you want a quad, 750 is the best bang. LGA 775 is outdated, and in my books, dead. Nope, not necessarily i5, if you have a small budget, AMD is a good choice. i.e. Athlon II x3.

2. DDR3 no contest. Yes, if you, say, get 4 gigs for now, you can always pick another 4 gigs and throw 'em in the pc. DDR2 will be discontinued and is on the way out. It'll get more and more expensive by the day. FYI, DDR2 & DDR3 cost about the same for the same amount of memory. i.e. 4gb vs 4gb.

3. Most of the boards support PCI-E 2.0. It's a non-issue. GTX 260 is a good mid-range non-rebrand.

4. SSD for performance. HDD for storage. Bet a small 30GB SSD & a large 1TB HDD. Call it a day.

5. If you're going i5, you want this one. It does BOTH SLI & Crossfire, in addition to USB 3 & SATA 6. The difference between this and the slightly cheaper GB board is the GB will disable USB 3 & SATA 6 when the 2nd PCI-E slot is used. Get the ASUS.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks for the reply man! This got me a bit smarter is choosing components.

Just 2 more quick questions?

Are there any SSD's of around 200gb or slightly less available?

And RAM, Should i go for 1333Mhz or 1600Mhz?
Related resources
January 10, 2010 10:14:10 PM

Another Question about memory, how much does the latency affect the performance? should i even bother looking up memory with a low timing or whatever it's called?
January 11, 2010 1:00:33 PM

On Black Friday & X-MAS, there were good SSD deals, but now the prices have gone up. If money is no object, get an Intel SSD. Otherwise, look for Vertex of any size you want.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

For i5 750, up to DDR3 1333mhz. The reason is 750 has a Turbo mode which overclocks the cpu from 2.66 to up to 3.2Ghz. I leave it on. If you don't need turbo or don't overclock, get the 1066mhz.

DDR3-1066/1333

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=42915

Gen-speak, the lower the cas latency, the faster & more expensive. i.e. CL 7 > CL 8/9. However, it's not that simple. You need to factor in the ram speed. i.e. CL 8 1600mhz > CL 7 1066mhz. If you find it confusing, go with whatever is the cheapest. Only overclockers would spend the extra for lower latency.
January 11, 2010 1:35:25 PM

On the SSD size: There are large SSDs, but expect to pay nearly $900 for a 250 GB one.

You don't need one that big. SSDs are only used as boot/app drives. And I wouldn't get anything smaller than a 60 GB (usually $200-300), as they don't operate as well when near full capacity. Get a standard HDD for the data.
!