Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New Computer, good build?

Last response: in Components
March 15, 2010 2:32:34 PM

I am making this new computer and was asking what would be my best option for the power supply. I bought a Phenom II x4 965 BE and a Nvidia Ge force 9800 GT. Everything else on this computer is pretty generic. Now to my power supply, as of now i have Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...).

Is that power supply good enough to run my computer and not blow it up?
If not how much PSU and which PSU would you guys recommend?

More about : computer good build

a c 248 ) Power supply
March 15, 2010 2:46:56 PM

The +12 volt rails in the Rosewill psu are weak for what is supposed to be a 600 watt power supply. The current (amps) should be around 50 amps instead of the 38 amps listed. Looks more like what one would expect in a 450 to 500 watt power supply. Rosewill has a history of inferior power supplies.

The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the +12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the +12 volt rail(s) can power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are a few exceptions like the new ATI Radeon HD 5XXX series cards which use less power due to their energy efficiency.

A high quality 500 to 550 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 40 amps. A high quality 700 to 750 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 60 amps.

In addition the power supply should be at least 80+ Bronze certified for energy efficiency. There are some models available which have achieved 80+ Silver and 80+ Gold Certifications.

Before purchasing a new psu you will need to decide whether you will eventually have a pc with one or two video cards.

Corsair and Seasonic are two of the brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units. One example would be the Antec Earthwatts series which is a major improvement over Antec’s older psu’s like the Basiq models.
m
l
March 15, 2010 2:56:03 PM

I will be only using this video card and not updating for long time to come. This power supply might not be on the top level as others you have mentioned but it does have good reviews and rating on newegg and other website. Do you suggest i change it to one of those name brands you mention even tho i am short on cash? Any other suggestion guys keep em coming please! need more help :bounce: 
m
l
Related resources
March 15, 2010 3:48:56 PM

Should i pull the trigger and get Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W for 69.99?(its on sale 30.00 off)
What other options do i have? keeping this rosewill 600, antec 650, oczec 700 or any PSU?
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
March 15, 2010 4:17:32 PM

OK! The Rosewill 600 watt power supply you mentioned cost $59.99.

Lets take a look at your actual power requirements. You listed an AMD system with one 9800GT video card. If you are positive you will only be using one 9800 GT video card and will not be updating for quite some time, then the power requirement is a 400 watt or greater power supply with a +12 volt rail rated at 26 amps and one 6 pin, 75 watt PCI-e power connector.

The Corsair CX400 is currently on sale at newegg.com for $54.99 and shipping is free. In addition, there is a $15.00 mail-in rebate that brings the final price down to $39.99. The psu has +12 volt rail rated at 30 amps and one 6 pin, 75 watt PCI-e power connector:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For $5.00 more plus $9.65 shipping you could bump it up to the Corsair VX450 which also has a $15.00 mail-in rebate:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Corsair is a brand that has a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and can deliver their rated power.

I checked Antec prices. The Earthwatts models are good power supplies but they will cost you a little more. Antec is undergoing some changes. It appears they are phasing out the Earthwatts series and replacing it with a new Earthwatts Green series. That means no power cord included with the newer psu's. According to Antec by reusing your existing cord, you can reduce waste and help protect the environment. That's fine unless you sell or donate your old pc.
m
l
March 15, 2010 4:22:32 PM

I already have 600 rosewill from my old computer lol... did i forget to mention that :pt1cable: 
Wouldn't it be better then to keep my 600 rosewill which is close to 400/450 corsair? Like i said i am kind of low on cash ATM :cry: 

Thx for your replies and time john! keep em coming :D 
m
l

Best solution

a c 248 ) Power supply
March 15, 2010 5:17:00 PM

Hmmmm......Well, since you already have the Rosewill 600 watt power supply and you do not have a power hungry system, you'll probably be okay.
March 15, 2010 5:23:47 PM

Best answer selected by darkreborn.
m
l
!