madman322

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
I have all of the latest drivers installed as well as CCC. My monitor is an Acer H243H 24" 1920 x 1080. After installing windows 7 64 bit I am having a bit of trouble getting my resolution the way i want it. First off, if I try to set the resolution to 1080p in Windows, the screen becomes completely fuzzy and unreadable. I can adjust the setting in CCC but when I do, I receive about an inch of black bars around the perimeter of the screen. I get the same bars when i set the resolution to 1080p in windows as well, but when I adjust the settings in windows the screen is unreadable in addition to the black bars. If i change the resolution settings to 1680 x 1050, the screen takes up the entire length of my monitor and is completely readable. I have already tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers and CCC and that didn't help at all. Everything else about the card is fine. Games play smooth and I have almost no trouble with anything else. If anyone has any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help.

Solution
I used to have that same problem with my HTPC and my LCD TV. It maybe the same although I use HD4200 onboard. You can try this, first run CCC click Graphics tab and select desktop and display, at the bottom there is an icon of your display right click on that and click Configure. Navigate to Scaling options and set Overscan to 0%, that fixed my problem with black borders. Hope this would help.
Try uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers.

Something similar happened to me with my old X1900XT. At a point in time if I tried to set my monitor to native resolution (1920 x 1200) everything was distorted. Nothing I tried worked. I set it to 1920 x 1080 and everything was fine except I'm not using 120 rows of pixels.

After researching and scratching my head, I ultimately decided to re-install Windows XP because I figured the Registry became corrupted. A fresh install solved the problem. You may need to do a fresh install because maybe something got corrupted in your initial install.

boljack

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2007
I used to have that same problem with my HTPC and my LCD TV. It maybe the same although I use HD4200 onboard. You can try this, first run CCC click Graphics tab and select desktop and display, at the bottom there is an icon of your display right click on that and click Configure. Navigate to Scaling options and set Overscan to 0%, that fixed my problem with black borders. Hope this would help.

Solution

madman322

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
@ boljack - that did it! unbelievable! you really made my night. Granted, it doesn't solve the problem that I can't change the resolution in windows but hey, i'll pick my battles. I have a feeling that a clean installation of windows would solve the issue, however, at this point I'm happy with the results. Thnks so much for the help.