Sign in with
Your question

Help me fix a disk read error that has occured on my home computer?

Last response: in Windows XP
August 2, 2012 5:01:52 PM

Help!
I downloaded some pictures from my Kodak digital camera (about 20). I took them from my 'My Photos' to a desktop folder. Then tried to download them to an e-mail on my AOL account to send to a friend. For some reason, the photos were trying to show individually in the e-mail as opposed to an attachement. It was taking forever and the system seemed to freeze (after about 10 - 15 minutes). While the cursor would move, nothing else would respond. I tried to close the process of downloading. I tried to close AOL. I tried to mimize the whole thing. Nothing worked. Finally, I pushed and held the 'On - Off' button till the computer shut down. I waited a few minutes and tried to start the computer again. All that I am getting on the screen is: "A disk read error has occured. Press Crtl+Del+Alt to restart." I do this and the computer goes dark for 2 or 3 seconds and the 'Gateway' (brandname) insignia comes up as it usually does. However, shortly thereafter, it goes back to the "Disk read error" message.
What can I do?
August 2, 2012 5:07:28 PM

Sorry to say, it sounds like your hard drive has failed. The only fix is to replace it. If the unit is under warranty, then call Acer (who owns Gateway) about getting a warranty replacement.
m
l
!