Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need help with Water Cooling Fast!

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
August 10, 2012 10:09:52 PM

Hey everyone I am ordering my computer today but before I do I need some help!

I am getting this Water Cooling Kit - http://www.frozencpu.com/products/15402/ex-wat-207/XSPC...

I got the Swiftech MCP655Swiftech MCP655 Pump instead.

Also getting different tubings - http://www.frozencpu.com/products/12802/ex-tub-834/Prim...

My case will be an Obsidian 800D

Time for the questions...


Will this fit in my case?

What do I need for GPU cooling. EVGA GTX 680.

How many strips of Tubings do I need?

Do I need any accessories with this? I see they have an option for Barbs and Fittings.

What's the best Fluids to use for the liquid cooling?

Also, SSD's are 2.5 inches. Do I need to get a 5.25 to 2.5 converter?

Anything else I need for this? CPU & GPU cooling.

More about : water cooling fast

a c 138 K Overclocking
August 10, 2012 11:15:25 PM

Ths will fit in your case.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/15708/ex-vga-02/EVGA_...

This water block is wspecificly made for the Evga card nd if it doesn't come back in stock by the time you are ready to buy then;

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16261/ex-blc-1138/EK_...

The tubing you linked is a 10 foot pack and you would only need the one pack. It is an odd size tubing so you will have to pay attention to the fittings that you order.
Barbs are fittings and they are the easiest to use since you just have to pay attention to the ID of the tubing. ( Inside Diameter) You also need clamps to go with barbs. with compression fittings you just need the fitting because the compression ring holds down the tubing.
The best fluid to use is distilled water with a biocide additive and maybe some corrosive inhibitor.
The case should come with adaptors for the SSD and sometimes the SSD will come with a 3.5 bay adaptor.
You want to carefully plan out your loop so your not wasting tubing.
Below is several links to parts you could need.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16564/ex-blc-1169/EK_...

You can use either the biocide or the silver killkoil , you don't need both.
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11744/ex-liq-154/Iand...

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11441/ex-tub-705/Iand...

m
0
l
a c 150 K Overclocking
August 10, 2012 11:50:44 PM

You'd need more rad space in order to cool both CPU+GPU.
m
0
l
Related resources
August 11, 2012 12:17:16 AM

The tubing you selected will work great. I'm using the same stuff in UV blue. The 10ft pack will be plenty.
Also, you will likely want another 120mm in Rad space to cool the CPU and GPU, so you might want to consider the RX360 kit.
In terms of fittings you will need two more 7/16 - 5/8 compression fittings for the GPU block.
For fluid just use distilled water with the silver kill coil that comes with your kit. I would highly recommend not using any dyes as they break down and clog your blocks.
If you’re putting your SSD in an external drive bay then use a 5.25 to 2.5 converter. If you’re putting it in a hard drive bay use a 3.5 to 2.5 converter.
m
0
l
August 11, 2012 1:14:31 AM

dark-edge said:
The tubing you selected will work great. I'm using the same stuff in UV blue. The 10ft pack will be plenty.
Also, you will likely want another 120mm in Rad space to cool the CPU and GPU, so you might want to consider the RX360 kit.
In terms of fittings you will need two more 7/16 - 5/8 compression fittings for the GPU block.
For fluid just use distilled water with the silver kill coil that comes with your kit. I would highly recommend not using any dyes as they break down and clog your blocks.
If you’re putting your SSD in an external drive bay then use a 5.25 to 2.5 converter. If you’re putting it in a hard drive bay use a 3.5 to 2.5 converter.


If I would get the RX360 kit what accessories would I need? Do I need another radiator?
m
0
l
August 11, 2012 1:16:47 AM

Also would I need to get another case?
m
0
l
a c 150 K Overclocking
August 11, 2012 1:23:47 AM

You'd need distilled water, and a GPU block.
m
0
l
August 11, 2012 1:40:41 AM

amuffin said:
You'd need distilled water, and a GPU block.


Ok any suggestions for distilled water I can get online? So I don't need another radiator? Also just a GPU block? Want to make sure, even though your an expert :) 
m
0
l
August 11, 2012 2:26:13 AM

ForgeWar said:
Ok any suggestions for distilled water I can get online? So I don't need another radiator? Also just a GPU block? Want to make sure, even though your an expert :) 


The RX360 should fit at the top of the 800D. You won’t need any other accessories other than your GPU block and two more compression fittings. Also, you should be fine using distilled water from you're local market, at least that’s what I use with no problems.
m
0
l
a c 138 K Overclocking
August 11, 2012 3:27:32 AM

If you use distilled water then you need a biocide added to the water so you don't have algea growing in your water system loop. You can buy distilled water by the gallon at your local supermarket or drugstore , they do now sell colored distilled water online if you were to be using clear tubing and wanted a color in the water. You can also use colored tubing but with that your stuck with that color and with colored water you can change color any time you want without buying new tubing.

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g30/c103/s753/list/p1/L...
m
0
l
a c 150 K Overclocking
August 11, 2012 7:31:07 AM

Just buy tubing from the hardware store!
m
0
l
a c 138 K Overclocking
August 11, 2012 3:52:36 PM

Buying tubing from a hardware storeis not a good idea unless you know what your doing. The tubing comes in different wall thickness and different ID so you have to know your fittings as to what will work and some of that tubing is not as flexable.
I've gone to the hardware store and Home Depot and Lowes but prefer to buy it online because you are getting tubing designed just for water cooling.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
August 11, 2012 4:07:46 PM

You might get by with the XSPC RX360 on a cpu and single gpu loop but the 240 is not going to be enough for both especially if anything is overclocked. I'd hang a 360 from the top and put a120 or a 140 on the rear exhaust of the case. I have the same case by the way.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
August 11, 2012 4:10:47 PM

You could possibly get there with a Raystorm RX360 kit w/ DDC or D5 pump upgrade, 1 universal GPU block, some ram sinks and only using barbs and tubing of choice but this is going to run you closer to $350-$400 when it's all said and done. I highly recommend you send rubix_1011 a message ask him for help not saying others don't know what their talking about because they do i just find him very helpful is why i am recommending you to do that and read this http://tinyurl.com/73tkccb good luck!
m
0
l
a c 138 K Overclocking
August 11, 2012 4:31:55 PM

I have a 360 rad cooling two GTX 580's and a 240 rad cooling the cpu and the ram , temps never go above 50c for any situation.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
August 11, 2012 4:35:30 PM

inzone said:
I have a 360 rad cooling two GTX 580's and a 240 rad cooling the cpu and the ram , temps never go above 50c for any situation.
Yeah i seen pictures of your rig before on here somewhere can't recall where though lol looks kick ass though :sol: 
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
August 11, 2012 4:41:46 PM

I think your case will work fine it's a great case personally i would just buy one of these cases though as i am pretty sure they are cheaper and will get the job done just fine Case:NZXT SWITCH 810 Matte Black CA-SW810-M1 Steel / Plastic ATX HYBIRD Full Tower Gaming Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Case:COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
a c 138 K Overclocking
August 11, 2012 4:58:35 PM

The Cooler Master is the one that I have and it's enormous inside and you can fit a 360 rad up top and it's completely out of the way. You can add a lot of things to the indie of that case.
m
0
l
a c 150 K Overclocking
August 11, 2012 6:09:07 PM

inzone said:
Buying tubing from a hardware storeis not a good idea unless you know what your doing. The tubing comes in different wall thickness and different ID so you have to know your fittings as to what will work and some of that tubing is not as flexable.
I've gone to the hardware store and Home Depot and Lowes but prefer to buy it online because you are getting tubing designed just for water cooling.

Hardware tubing is the SAME as watercooling tubing. Where do you think all of these companies BUY there tubing from? They don't make their own tubing, it's bought from the SAME guys that make the tubing. They just charge you more money because they know people will buy it.
m
0
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
August 11, 2012 7:06:18 PM

It depends what tubing you buy...not all hardware store tubing is the same, so please don't advertise that it is.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
August 11, 2012 7:22:32 PM

rubix_1011 said:
It depends what tubing you buy...not all hardware store tubing is the same, so please don't advertise that it is.
This guy is the water cooling god ask him OP :sol:  :hello: 
m
0
l
a c 138 K Overclocking
August 11, 2012 9:08:43 PM

Well I have never seen any colored tubing in the hardware stores and maybe they come from the same manufacturers but they also make it according to the spec's of what the water cooling companies want.
The hardware store is selling tubing for plumbers to use in drains and different plumbing applications.
Like I said I have gone to the stores looking for a cheaper alternative to buying it online and paying more , but there was maybe one tubing that I found and it was clear and it was close to what could be used buy it was not cheaper so I didn't bother with it. Plus it was not as flexable as the tubing that is sold for water cooling and flexability is important when trying to make bends that will not kink and colapse.
m
0
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
August 12, 2012 2:27:20 AM

bigcyco1 said:
This guy is the water cooling god ask him OP :sol:  :hello: 


I appreciate the kind words, but this is far from true. There is a lot to learn and understand which is why I put the sticky together, but tech changes all the time and there are always changes that can be made; tweaks for improvements. I mainly try to piece together as much knowledge that I can for beginners and intermediate watercooling folks can utilize. There are more advanced methods out there, but not typically on this forum.

That being said, I wanted to clarify- there are some hardware store brands that WILL work quite well for watercooling, and there are a vast number that will 'just work' but have their shortcomings. Most of your cheap, hardware store tubing is very thin-walled vinyl tubing that makes very poor bends, stains easily with dyes/coolants, tends to become misshapen when loop temps get to working equilibrium and as a result don't stand up well to powerful pumps; especially on the intake leg of your loop. I've tested thin walled tubing on my MCP350 and D5 and both will actually start to collapse thin tubing at working temps due to the suction of the pump. Same concept when slurping up a thick shake through a straw and the straw walls start to collapse.
m
0
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
August 12, 2012 4:47:40 AM

It would, yes, but do you know the total loop TDP to be cooled? You don't need to add a pump- it already has the MCP655/D5 pump.

You do not need to watercool RAM.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
August 12, 2012 5:04:24 AM

rubix_1011 said:
I appreciate the kind words, but this is far from true. There is a lot to learn and understand which is why I put the sticky together, but tech changes all the time and there are always changes that can be made; tweaks for improvements. I mainly try to piece together as much knowledge that I can for beginners and intermediate watercooling folks can utilize. There are more advanced methods out there, but not typically on this forum.

That being said, I wanted to clarify- there are some hardware store brands that WILL work quite well for watercooling, and there are a vast number that will 'just work' but have their shortcomings. Most of your cheap, hardware store tubing is very thin-walled vinyl tubing that makes very poor bends, stains easily with dyes/coolants, tends to become misshapen when loop temps get to working equilibrium and as a result don't stand up well to powerful pumps; especially on the intake leg of your loop. I've tested thin walled tubing on my MCP350 and D5 and both will actually start to collapse thin tubing at working temps due to the suction of the pump. Same concept when slurping up a thick shake through a straw and the straw walls start to collapse.
Your being modest which is good your not full of yourself or stuck up but you know quite a bit about watercooling and your a watercooling god in my eyes! ;) 
m
0
l
August 12, 2012 5:16:04 AM

What do you mean by TDP? :) 
m
0
l
August 12, 2012 5:41:21 AM

I've read a lot of it yesterday. Just read the TDP part, I went to the eXtreme Power Supply and for my i7 over clocked to 4.8GHz and my GTX 680 is Maximum 330W. For the processor I chose 100% CPU Utilization.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
August 12, 2012 6:19:08 AM

o.k. well maybe that's a bad idea is that including your harddrives led fans GPU OC elect.Because i wouldn't listen to that it's wrong For a system using a single GeForce GTX 680 graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 550 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) will require an additional increase to the combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock you are trying to achieve.A650W that's reliable would do i would say play it safe especially because if you ever decide you want to add another 680 in the future you won't need to hassle with upgrading your psu $40 off w/ promo code EMCNBJN25, ends 8/12

Seasonic X750
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
80Plus Gold, 62A 12V power, 5 year warranty, fully modular
m
0
l
August 12, 2012 6:20:47 AM

Will the RX 360 Extreme do it for Watercooling? Also thanks for that link! Going to use it :) 
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
August 12, 2012 6:29:41 AM

ForgeWar said:
Will the RX 360 Extreme do it for Watercooling? Also thanks for that link! Going to use it :) 
Watercooling your cpu sure
m
0
l
a c 138 K Overclocking
August 12, 2012 5:59:36 PM

ForgeWar said:
Will the RX 360 Extreme do it for Watercooling? Also thanks for that link! Going to use it :) 



The 360 will cool the cpu and the video card just fine , but if you add a second card then you will have to reconfigure.
I currently have a two loop system and one loop has a 360 rad , pump and resivoir and cools the two GTX 580's , then the second loop with a pump , resivoir and a 240 rad cools the cpu (980 X) and the ram (24 gb) and both loops are cooling their parts just fie and there are never any temps going over 50c for anytthing that the computer is doing.
m
0
l
August 13, 2012 6:33:21 AM

Thanks to everyone who helped! Can't pick a Best Answer because everyone was so helpful! Love this community! I will be posting all my PC Spec's soon and see if you guys would advise to change anything.
m
0
l
!