Purchased new SSD, installing today and want to use old HD for storage

Hello,
As the title says: I am getting a new SSD in the mail today. I currently have a 500gb HDD that I use for everything. I would like to install Windows 7 (which is coming in the mail with my SSD) and a few of the games I play more than others onto the SSD. Then just use my existing HDD for storage. This is what I think I have to do, and please correct me if I'm wrong.
Transfer files I want to save to external hard drive. Install new SSD, insert windows 7 cd. Install Windows 7. Wipe Clean my old hard drive(need help in this area) and transfer files back to the HDD. The part I feel I will need the most help on is clearing out the old HDD and then reformatting/partitioning the drive to be used for storage only. Any feedback would help, and please ask if you need more information.
9 answers Last reply
More about purchased installing today storage
  1. Yes, that will work fine. I would disconnect the 500gb hdd during the win 7 install to insure that the system reserve partition goes onto the ssd. Then just reconnect the 500gb and right click it in the windows explorer and select format.
  2. Realbeast, thanks for the quick response. Do I also need to adjust anything in the BIOS as far as AHCI I believe it is called. And when I reconnect the 500gb hd and format it in windows explorer, does that in itself remove everything off of it?

Thanks
  3. Yes, make sure that AHCI is on just before you install the ssd, so win 7 will automatically enable the correct drivers. Don't do it while the 500gb is still running the OS or you'll get a BSOD.

While formatting doesn't really remove anything, it erases the FAT (file allocation table) so nothing will show up and it will look and act empty. If there is any real sensitive information that you want truly destroyed, you need to write all zeros to the drive with a program to make information unreadable.
  4. I just basically want my system to run as close to as new as possible. I just don't want anything left over on the hard drive slowing anything else down. My only concern was making sure there was nothing left of the existing OS. My system specs in case it helps are:
    COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced Case
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition
    ATI Radeon 4870x2 2GB DDR5 GPU
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
    CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W PSU
    HTOMEGA Claro Sound Card
    ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s
  5. It will run like brand new and you won't know anything was ever on the 500gb disk. The ssd will make it seem like a brand new rig.
  6. Perfect, and just for fun. After looking at my system rig what is the one thing I should upgrade? I mainly play games. I will definitely be getting D3 when it comes out, and I play most all Steam games. Thanks for the help and I appreciate your opinions as well.
  7. Other than the ssd you're installing, I really wouldn't do anything else. In a year or so, when prices come in on the new video cards, I might look at that, but now you look good to go. :)
  8. When you have your primary drive (SSD with windows) installed. You can just plug in your other two HDD and they will come up as drive letters F: G: etc... Go into your Disk managment tool in windows. You will see your new drive letters. R click them and delete the partions. Once you have done that reformat the drives using the NTFS file sytem and they should be ready to be written to. Copy data back over.
  9. I got both hard drives installed and working. They work great. now I have a new problem. Enshrine I start something graphic intensive I get a bsod. Could be gpu, cpu, or lack of power. I am going to try hooking up my wifes power supply when I get off work. She has a 850w compared to my 650w
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives SSD Storage Windows 7