How to fix external hard drive 1tb not recognized seagate

empoweredboss

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
hi i have a 1tb seagate hard drive and i is working but when i plug it at the mains a green blink comes on but when i put my usb in my laptop nothin happens it did work but i aint tried it for a while but i need it as it has my famliy pics and videos on it. thank u

jsmakkar

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Hello empoweredboss,

Welcome to Forums!

1. Try to connect this HDD to another computer and see if it is detected
2. Try to reseat the cable or even try another cable connecting your HDD to computer
3. Try to connect to a different USB port on your laptop
4. Does this HDD appear in BIOS
5. Does this HDD appear in Disk Management (Right Click on Computer >> Manage >> Disk Management) - if it appears here, it should have a drive letter assigned (like D: or E: etc). If there's no letter assigned, you need to assign one.

Hope something works out for you - Good luck and A Happy New Year!!!

jsphillips33

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012

jsmakkar,

thank you for the steps but none of these worked. What is interesting to note, when I plug my External HD in, the computer seems to bring the HD out of "hibernation" mode and the little blue light light goes on. When I unplug the HD, the light goes off. If I try to restart the computer with the HD in, it causes the computer to hang in the "Shutting Down" mode/screen.

any other ideas?

samronny

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012

hello gurus,

i dropped my seagate 1 tb HD and now its only getting detected in the device managment but not in my computer. The harddisk gives a scratching sound timely oat a gap of 2-3 secs. In the device manager it shows the device is working properly but not detecting. Please help me what can i do in this case..??

i have some very rare fotos which i need to recover anyhow. I have asked Stellar and they said a quote of 70k which is impossible for me. Please help me in this case.
You can reply me on ronny.witty@gmail.com