Cloned hard drive for new build and received BSOD

ryfe12

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
Story:
I wanted to upgrade my mom's small business computer. The computer currently has Quickbooks Point of Sale software and she has no installation discs and the company no longer supports her outdated version. It would cost $800 to get another copy and I'm trying to avoid that.

It was time to upgrade the computer. I cloned the hard drive using an adapter ( Apricorn Drivewire Universal HDD Adapter USB To 2.5IN & 3.5IN Sata & Pata ).The clone was somewhat successful, I am able to access all her files and programs in safe mode.

I was confronted with a blue screen at startup, and entered into safe mode. In safe mode, I was able to install the drivers that came with CDs. I am currently unable to get into normal mode.

The blue screen:
STOP: 0x0000007E (0xc0000005, 0x00000000, 0xB9CC70BC, 0xB9CC6DB8)

I've tried a couple methods posted on 'http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm'.
So far I have tried:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=900485&sd=RMVP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953356/en-us

Current Build:
Pentium 4
768mb ram
40gb hard drive (windows xp sp2 home edition)

New Build:
Celeron G530
BIOSTAR H61MGC LGA 1155
PNY Optima 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) PC3-10666 1333MHz DDR3
250gb hard drive (cloned)

I'm not sure what my next step is here, any help would be appreciated.

Instead of trying to get that old copy of XP Home to work with new hardware (and half that 8GB of memory will be unusable anyway), I would suggest the following, which I have used several time to migrate software from an old PC to a new PC.

Install Windows 7 64-bit on the new PC so you can take advantage of more than 4GB of memory.

Connect the old drive using your cable.

Copy the entire QB software folder to the new PC.

Create a shortcut to the QB software, and try running it.

If it complains about a missing DLL file, search the old hard drive for the file and copy it to the same folder in the new PC.

Repeat the last step until the software runs.

ryfe12

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
Install Windows 7 64-bit on the new PC so you can take advantage of more than 4GB of memory.
Found this out too late. Also, just found out this version of Quickbooks POS (3.0), is not compatible with Windows Vista or 7. So installed it on a fresh copy of XP SP3.

If it complains about a missing DLL file, search the old hard drive for the file and copy it to the same folder in the new PC.
I was never prompted for missing .DLL files with Quickbooks POS. It simply prompted me with 'Error reading security file' after I opened it.

However with Quickbooks Pro, I was prompted with missing .DLL files. After moving the required files, the app opened, but shut down almost immediately.

Afterwards, I made a copy of the registry from the original and copied to the new hard drive. Nothing changed.

ryfe12

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
Regarding the cloned drive. A similar hard drive with a fresh install of Windows XP works fine on the new build.

So I'm guessing it's one of the drivers from the previous setup that is preventing it from booting up.

Where do I go about checking for old drivers?