Putting together a system, and I need some guidance.

egil87

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
Hello!

So I'm setting up a new system, and I plan to have it water cooled. Never done this before, so I need some guidance!

The computer I will be cooling is:

Case: Obsidian 800D
CPU: i7 2600K @ 4.6Ghz
GPU: 2X EVGA 680 GTX (reference cards)
MB: Asus P8Z77-V Pro
AC: Asus Xonar STX
Fans 120mm: 6 Corsair air series SP120 performance
Fans 140mm: 4 Corsair air series AF140 quiet

I will be cooling both of the GPU's and the CPU.

Here is a quick sketch of how I plan to have it set up: http://i.imgur.com/9oBdT.jpg
As for the cooling equipment I have a list over at aquatuning: https://www.aquatuning.no/shopping_cart.php/bkey/02f82f280854af1720985dc4b2a211b8

I don't know what's missing, and I have selected a bunch of different SLI-connectors, because I don't know which is the best one.
The 120mm fans and 360 rad will be running in Push-Pull at the top and plugged into the fan controller, and the 140mm rad will sit beside the GPU's over the 140mm intake. The other 3 140mm fans will sit: 1 at the bottom of the case, 1 beside the HDD's, and 1 will be pulling in air at the back of the case under the 360 rad. I have also invested in a filter for the 140mm at the back of the case, so I don't get too much dust in there.

I don't know what coolant to put in my loop though, what do you guys use? I read that distilled water is the best, different people say different additives, like silver coil or PT_Nuke.
If you see anything I'm missing, please tell me. Other tips and suggestions are also very much appriciated!

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
In order to prevent corrosion within your system I would suggest limiting the number of different metals being utilized within the loop itself, try to find copper, brass, or plastic compression/barb fittings for the loop. With only distilled water there are no corrosion inhibitors to prevent the different metals from reacting with each other.
If this is not possible and you start to see corrosion within the loop starting on the fittings remember that water wetter can stop and prevent further corrosion in the loop and save you from having to replace components of the loop itself.
Many people use only distilled water with no issues but they do take the time to assemble the parts with this in mind and with a little research you can find the answers on how they were able to achieve this without having any issues.

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Well your asking the black sheep here at Toms about water mixes. I use a mix of water wetter at 3% and distilled water for 97% and HTH super extended algae guard 3 drops added every 2 months ,flush and fill every 6 months, but that is because I am too scared to go straight distilled water. I used a mix of water wetter 3% antifreeze 17% distilled water 80% for about 12 years flushing and filling every 8 months and it works fine too.

To answer your question, What they said is true; running straight distilled water in the long run has a greater chance of turning into a strong acid and eating your blocks than water that has an additive added to it to prevent this from happening. With is why I use water wetter but as I stated many people use distilled water without issue simply by building there loops with this in mind and trying to eliminate the factors that contribute to this happening like the reaction of different metals together will quicken this occurrence so limit as much as possible the different metals within your loop.