Sign in with
Your question

Should i re-apply thermal paste if i loosen the water block screws?

Last response: in Overclocking
August 10, 2012 11:52:06 PM

hi folks,
i'm looking to add a back plate to my gtx680 that already has a water block. i was wondering if i gently and evenly loosen the screws little by little in a criss cross pattern, can i get away without having to re-apply the thermal paste to the water block and gpu.

i'm just looking to add a back plate, but don't want to have to go through re-appling the thermal paste again if i can get away with it.

thanks
a c 150 K Overclocking
August 10, 2012 11:54:14 PM

You shouldn't have to, unless the actual block comes off.
m
l
August 11, 2012 12:01:05 AM

oh that's great to know. i hate doing the thermal paste chore, it soo tedious and time consuming to get perfectly flat and i have it seated so perfectly right now with great temps and would prefer not having to go through all of that again for at least another year or so.

thanks for the quick respond
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
August 11, 2012 1:14:14 AM

amuffin said:
You shouldn't have to, unless the actual block comes off.

this
if your temps go way up, you may want to re tim the card
m
l
a c 138 K Overclocking
August 11, 2012 5:08:54 AM

The best way is to lay the card flat with the block side on the flat surface and you can take out the screws needed to put a back plate on the card. I have done this and not had to reapply the thermal compound because the block was not removed.
m
l
August 11, 2012 7:41:05 PM

well, i was under the impression that since the thermal compound takes time to seat in after you applied it. and since i will be loosening the screws it might affect the seating of the thermal compound. i got it just the way i like it with great temps, and i don't want to have to go through all these process again unless i absolutely have to. it takes me an average of thirty minutes or more to apply the thermal compound and get it perfectly flat to my liking (OCD) before i commit the water block to it. and since i have to do it to two of them, you can understand why i prefer not to do it again unless i absolutely have to, like in another twelve or fifteen months or so. :D 
anyway, here it is. oh, and by the way. for those of you who are wondering. the heat killer water block has fitting issues the stock evga back plate. this is due to the socket cap head screws used by the water black, does not fit into the screw holes of the back plate. i had to grind down the head of the screws so they can be fited into the screw holes of the stock back plate. took me fifteen minutes to do. all is good now.

m
l
a c 138 K Overclocking
August 11, 2012 8:57:26 PM

Even though I like the look of the Heat killer block the screw problem is one of the reasons that I stay with the Evga block and back plate. It just seems like things don't line up when you get two different brands one for the block and one for the back plate. EK makes some nice looking back plates but the only way I would use it if I were to use the block also.
You are going to have a nice looking setup once you get that in your case.
m
l
August 11, 2012 9:48:10 PM

it's not so bad actually. grinding down a few screws and all. i mean i can easily get the heat killer back plate that would match with the water block nicely, but that another $35 bucks a piece for each card, or i can just spend 15 minutes and grind down the screws and use my existing back plate and save myself $70 bucks.

i like the idea of having the back plate there, it make handling the card so much easier. before i had to be careful when handling them because i don't want to touch the surface mounted components, and holding the card by the edge i can feel the flimsiness of the card. it's like the weight of the water block overwhelm the stiffness of the card, making it feel like the card has some flex when holding the card around the edge. but with the back plate on i can hold the card from the center of the card and not worrying about touching the surface mounted components, and the card do feel stiffer overall.

i'm done here,

thanks folks
m
l
a c 138 K Overclocking
August 11, 2012 11:38:47 PM

Plus it does help somewhat with the cooling of the ram chips. You can't beat saving a few bucks by grinding a few screws. Gives you more money to spend on something else.
m
l
!