Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Amd return policy

Last response: in CPUs
March 15, 2010 7:05:48 PM

ok so a few days ago i bought a Amd Phenom II x4 955 BE from Newegg, however i f4cked up and accidentally broke off 2 pins. i think the processor actually still works because i can get into the Bios without problem (havent tried installing my OS yet though)

so im guessing i cant return the CPU to Newegg or Amd but does anyone know for sure what their return policy's are? also if i can get into the Bios does that mean the Cpu still works? possibly not up to its potential but will it at least work?

More about : amd return policy

a b à CPUs
March 15, 2010 7:18:45 PM

You broke it, why in the hell would they take it back. Thats like buying a car and crashing it on the way home, and asking for your money back. Suck it up and buy a new one.
a c 158 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 15, 2010 7:20:53 PM

1- Yeah, the CPU still works, but will be not stable after few hours or some strong game.
2- I think that AMD return policy or newegg return policy don't cover your problem, this is a problem of the user not from the processor.
Related resources
March 15, 2010 7:55:44 PM

saint19 said:
1- Yeah, the CPU still works, but will be not stable after few hours or some strong game.
2- I think that AMD return policy or newegg return policy don't cover your problem, this is a problem of the user not from the processor.

what do you mean by not stable? is it possible it could cause damage to my motherboard?
a c 158 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 15, 2010 8:26:04 PM

I mean that you can be playing and your PC suddenly shutdown, and maybe the suddenly shutdown can damage your mobo and other components.
a b à CPUs
March 15, 2010 8:34:37 PM

Depends on which 2 pins you broke off and where they broke off at - If there is enough of the pin left attached to the CPU to make contact in the socket it may work fine - if not then whatever those 2 pins were for will not work and thus depending on what portion of the chip they are for the CPU will error out anytime info is expected to be sent or received using those 2 pins.

In any case I wouldn't want to take a chance using it - best bet is to trash it and buy a new CPU and be more careful with it !!
a b à CPUs
March 15, 2010 10:20:19 PM

It really depends on what two pins they are. A lot of pins are redundant.
March 16, 2010 5:38:46 AM

you could always measure how much of the pins broke off, and then cut a similar length piece of metal and pop it into the matching pin-holes on the mobo. ive never done such with a cpu, but it works fine with ide HD's. might wanna make the pieces of metal ever so slightly longer to ensure better contact

Best solution

a b à CPUs
March 16, 2010 8:15:32 AM

I would suggest that if they won't take it back that you keep using it and see what happens.

Frankly I'd overclock the hell out of it just to punish it for daring to drop two legs.

Now give me best answer for making you laugh ... its important for my self esteem.

March 16, 2010 12:22:54 PM

Best answer selected by CrysisComa.
March 16, 2010 12:25:01 PM

Reynod said:
I would suggest that if they won't take it back that you keep using it and see what happens.

Frankly I'd overclock the hell out of it just to punish it for daring to drop two legs.

Now give me best answer for making you laugh ... its important for my self esteem.

lmfao!!! yes i have easy overclock switches on my mobo. one flick of that switch will show that cpu whose boss lmao, but seriously thanx everyone for your help. i think im just going to try it out and see what happens, if it doesnt work i have a backup Athlon X2 i can use instead
!