[CPUs] AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE Running hotter than normal?

Look

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
I just built a new AMD rig a couple days ago with the Phenom II x4 955 BE as the processor. It has a 6MB L3 cache, not the C3 8MB. Everything is stable, no problems have arose. Running Prime95 using small FFTs brings the processor up to 57 degrees C on full load. I am using an Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro for the HSF, this is the second application of AS5. The first time I used the grain of rice method, and now I'm using the thin layer spread out. I also put some paste on the heatsink and wiped it off to fill in the tiny gaps. I am running no OC, it is at stock 3.2 GHz.

Also, I put on my old Scythe Katana 2 heatsink from my Dual-Core 5000+ BE, and it hit 61 degrees C really fast in Prime95, so I killed that before the temp rose any further.

For case flow I have 2x120mm fans, the exhaust being an Arctic Cooling, and the intake is a Thermaltake. PSU has braided cables, and I've done everything possible for cable management, nothing is in the way. Taking the side of the case off doesn't change the temps, so I don't see an airflow problem being the culprit. My setup is:

AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE
XFX GS250XZDFU GTS 250
4GB GSkill DDR3 1333 RAM
GIGABYTE GA-770TA-UD3 Motherboard
550W Corsair CMPSU-550VX PSU
22x LITE-ON IDE DVD Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F3 SATA HDD
COOLER MASTER Elite NV-334-KWN1-GP case

Does this chip just run hot? Or is there some other factor that is causing my high temps?

Solution
Yeah, those temps are about what I would expect with the Freezer 64. It is not a fantastic cooler, it is about what one would expect for $20. Running prime 95 with my X4 940 at 3.5 Ghz, 1.3 volts and a Tru I get my CPU into the low 50's.

I recommend looking for something in the $40 range such as a BTF90 or a Xigmatek 1283. The C2 is 140Watts as opposed to the 125Watt C3, yes?
I wouldn't put a Freezer 64 on a 140Watt Cpu.
57C under load isn't too out there when under load. Still, seems a little odd with a 1.28 vcore. The Scythe Katana 2 is more of an average cooler, but I would think the Freezer 64 capable enough for that system. Anyway, yes the 955BE runs hot, especially the C2 version. If you want it to run cooler you may want to go with a tower cooler, or at least some higher CFM fans to move more air through your case.

Yeah, those temps are about what I would expect with the Freezer 64. It is not a fantastic cooler, it is about what one would expect for $20. Running prime 95 with my X4 940 at 3.5 Ghz, 1.3 volts and a Tru I get my CPU into the low 50's.

I recommend looking for something in the $40 range such as a BTF90 or a Xigmatek 1283. The C2 is 140Watts as opposed to the 125Watt C3, yes?
I wouldn't put a Freezer 64 on a 140Watt Cpu.

Solution

Look

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
The C2 is 125W, as well as the C3 stepping. I should definitely look into a new cooler, and I will throw this one on my old Athlon x2 5000+ BE and see what temps that gets, haha.

Look

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
Alright, I did a couple more things to try and improve airflow. First, I accidentally removed the back PCI slot panel for the slot above my PCI-E slot (toolless mounting so I couldn't put it back in), so I covered that up with 2 neat layers of masking tape. Next, the front bezel of my case is all mesh-grill with neat air filter behind the whole thing. I put in a 2nd 120mm fan as intake, so now I have 2x120mm in the front, and 120mm exhaust fan in the back.

These 2 adjustments seem to have taken my small FFT temperature on full load to 54 degrees C, expecting a couple degrees lower when playing games. Before was 57 degrees C max load on small FFTs, but maxed out at 55 degrees C after 2 hours of playing Battlefield Bad Company 2. 38-54 degrees C seems about right from what I have read, correct?

Look

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
Thanks for the input everyone. Shaving off a few degrees Celsius makes me happy, considering I just had to use parts I had around the house. I will definitely get a new cooler when the time comes to overclock, I heard a lot of good things about the Freezer Pro 64 for being at such a low price-point, so I figured I would take a shot with it. Oh well, it does its job for now.