New Micro ITX: Need Mount Points for HDD's

eddieparker

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
Hello:

I'm trying to build myself a new backup server, using a micro-ITX chassis.

Currently I have:

A micro-ITX chassis, Morex Venus 668.
A set of three HDD drives, 3.5 inch, 1.5 TB Western Digital.
An intel motherboard: DG45FC
As well as a power supply, ram, and a CPU w/fans.

Unfortunately the Venus doesn't seem to have many viable mount points inside. It looks like it can hold one hard drive and two CD-ROM drives, unfortunately the hard drive slot is too tight for even one of my HDD's to fit, and I'm wary of mounting anything in the CD-ROM slots in case they move around.

Can anyone recommend some options? I've found a hot swappable module which sounds neat [1], but I'm not sure if it would work since I don't think the DG45FC has the requisite 'raid controller'? Or maybe it does?

Is there a way I can change the internal layout of the chassis to accomodate three hard drives?

Cheers,

-e-

[1] http://ncix.com/products/?sku=48405&vpn=SS%2D500&manufacture=Norco%20Technologies%20Inc%2E

Solution
Usually there is a bracket that comes with the case for the extra drive bay, but I don't know if you have one. In a bind you could tie wrap/strap the HD to the underside of the 5 1/4" drive bay (if possible) or locate the HD somewhere else that you have room. I'd just make sure that it's tied down and not touching any electrical parts of the PC.

Now you could install the HD/DVD drive externally, if needed. They would need to be hooked up via a USB port, but it would still work.

eddieparker

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
Genius - I didn't know those things existed.

Now, the only thing I forgot to mention is that I have a DVDROM drive in there as well, which eats up one of the 5.25 slots. There's enough clearance beneath the 3.5 slot to mount another hard drive, but there's no bracket there. I'm at a loss as to how to either build a bracket, or where I can find/buy one. Where would I look?

Cheers, and thanks!

-e-

Usually there is a bracket that comes with the case for the extra drive bay, but I don't know if you have one. In a bind you could tie wrap/strap the HD to the underside of the 5 1/4" drive bay (if possible) or locate the HD somewhere else that you have room. I'd just make sure that it's tied down and not touching any electrical parts of the PC.

Now you could install the HD/DVD drive externally, if needed. They would need to be hooked up via a USB port, but it would still work.

Solution

eddieparker

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
Good idea!

Should be safe enough to strap it down pretty snuggly underneath the other hard drive, now that I think about it.

Thanks for the help lunyone. I have a few more questions, but they're not really related to this subject, so I'll start a new thread.

Thanks again.

-e-