What Happens When a Storage Drive Fails

Hey all,

My laptop is experiencing some issues and I'm wondering if it's my SSD.

Specs:
Toshiba Portege R835-P56X
8GB RAM
128GB Kingston SSDNow V100

I shut it down and can't get anything other than a black screen with my cursor (I try booting to all 3 safe modes and regular Windows), and my laptop detects issues with the drive and recommends scanning (which it does with CHKDSK).

I'm hoping it's just the drive, but it's odd that it *almost* boots to Windows and then just doesn't entirely get there.

Thanks!

017b917e.jpg

Thought I would mess around with the Installation tools and am now confused. When doing a fresh install, the drive appears in the list as shown in the picture below.

My next question is: are there drivers that I should be installing for the recovery tools? How do I find out what drivers I need and where to get them?

IMG_20120102_081023.jpg

The other day I scoured through the recovery menu, and I could not restore from any of my restore points, and I don't have any recovery images to try and restore. Also found out that the (D) drive in the first picture is my (C) drive in Windows - recovery tools read the (C) drive as the 100MB Reserved Partition.

I also heard back from Kingston Tech Support, and all they recommended to do was erase my drive using HDDErase and reinstall Windows. Not extremely helpful if you ask me (at least, beyond what I was going to do).