Are these readings ok? asus p8v68v-pro/gen3 OC

oprahb747

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
Hi guys, I've recently OC my asus p8v68v-pro/gen3 i5-2500k. It's currently sitting at 4700mhz, with temps idling at 40 degrees, and so far I've read the max temp at full load was 53 degrees (only after an hour of use). My voltage is set at 1.405 (as I started at 1.350 and move in increments of 5.) I've had to deal with freezing and a few BSODs up until now (with the new voltage setting), where it seems to be holding fairly well at the current voltage. I'm wondering if I should be concerned about these temperatures and voltage setting? Is 1.405 too high for 4700mhz on my mb?

My case is: COOLER MASTER HAF 912

Power supply is : Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-750 750W ATX12V v2.3

System has 16 gigs of ram (windows 64bit)

Using a cool master Hyper 212

Case has 3 Intake fans (2 on the front, 1 big one on top) and 2 exhaust (side panel, rear panel).

*EDIT* System is stationary in a 68-75 degree environment.

I will say that the temps are just fine and are not high at all , however the volrage is another factor that you want to think about. The voltage setting over 1.38v will shorten the life of the cpu. As you can see by what your settings are that the cpu can defietly take the 1.405 and be stable and you can go higher still with the voltage and the cpu can handle it as well. But when it comes to the expected life span of the cpu it will be shortened with any voltage over 1.38v. How much will it be shortened by is anybodys guess since every cpu chip is just a bit different and some may take 1.39v to shorten it but there's no way to tell how much shorter the life span would be.
Your temps are certianly low enough to maybe work for you and not contribute to the damages , If it were me I might just keep things the way they are and take the chance that the cpu will last a fair amount of time.

oprahb747

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
Hi inzone, I appreciate your response. I acknowledge what you're telling me is basically it goes 50/50. This is true, as anyone who overclocks will need to accept that it is "anybodies" guess on the life expectancy of overclocked hardware.

I decided to get cracking on google to see what I could find on voltages for the i5-2500k and overclocks at 4700mhz +. I discovered that it is typically average to be setting voltages around 1.38-1.39 for a 4700mhz overclock. 1.4v+ (usually 1.42,1.43) are used for a 4800mhz overclock. This is of course only assuming the user has adequate cooling/airflow for their system, and can maintain their system in a steady air cooled environment.

Lastly, I read that if temperatures go past 70c, that the voltages and overclock are something to be concerned about, and should be reverted to safer measurements.

As of writing this post, my system had been running the 1.405v for nearly 6 hours without a single problem, and stable temperatures (idling at 40c, with a max of 55c for gaming). I have thus updated my bios (found a update) and changed the voltage down to 1.39v at 4700mhz. So far everything is running fine, and my temperatures have dropped (no surprise) leaving my system at a comfortable 36c idle.

Nice! Like I said before the 2500k can and will work great with higher voltages and higher overclocks and because of sufficient cooling will be normal running and stable and that's what ends up fooling most people . They think that because the cpu is running so great at these high overclocks and voltages that they are all set , while lurking below the surface is the life shortening voltage of 1.4 , 1.5 and so on.
I have seen in these forums people saying how great thier system is running at 4.9 ghz and 1.5 voltage and everything is just great , the best cpu ever.
I think that you will be very happy with reducing the voltage to 1.39 and preserving the life expectancy of your cpu.

oprahb747

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
Since the time I posted, I've raised my voltage to 1.41v and am now running 4800mhz with max load temperatures not passing 58c. I have read alot of forum posts regarding this common voltage for this type of OC on this particular CPU, and the general consensus (granted the system is operating within the previously mentioned parameters) is that it is not close to the "shortening" life expectancy more so than any other stable overclock, but oddly enough quite a few people seem to stress this to be very dangerous.

If the temperatures are right, and the system is stable, it will not be any more different than any other OC running stable. OK, sure it may work harder than some overclocks, but the life expectancy rate will not be "far more" different than some would like to believe. In my opinion, if operating in the given specifications & proper monitoring/regular maintenance and de-dusting of computer components, there is not much risk involved. With the right circumstances (IE: right environmental controls, as well as adequate internal cooling) these voltages and the particular OC settings are not going to be a significant decrease on overall life expectancy (at least for my particular build). By the time the hardware fails (at these current settings/rate) I would/will be using a new computer! :)

Anyways, I'm pleased with coming here (as usual) because it allows me to refine my thinking and explore alternate possibilities. Thanks Tomshardware Forum, the internet is that much better of a place because of you.