Sign in with
Your question

32-bit to 64-bit Win 7 worth it for 1gb increase?

Last response: in Memory
August 5, 2010 1:10:31 PM

Ok guys.

I'm currently running an Intel Core 2 CPU 6400@2.13ghz 2.13ghz with 4gb RAM (3 usable) with Win 7 32-bit.

I believe that processor could do 64-bit, but I'm not 100% sure.

Anyway, my question is, is it worth custom clean installing Win 64-bit for the extra 1 gb usable RAM? Obviously if I upgrade to 6-8gb it would be. But is there a significant performance increase from using all 4 gb RAM compared to 3gb? Or should I not mess with going to 64-bit until I upgrade to more RAM, which I may or may not do. (computer came with vista 32-bit.. so that's why I went with Win 7 32-bit b/c I didn't want to mess with custom installing everything back) Thanks in advanced.
August 5, 2010 1:12:02 PM

Or, is there some kind of fix to make Win 32-bit use all 4gb? It says 1gb is used for hardware reserve. I'm only currently running a 256mb graphics card.
August 5, 2010 1:40:17 PM

hi m8
it depends on what you use your pc for if your a gamer it could be benificial for games however if you just use your pc for everyday computing you would'nt really see a speed/performance increase.
Related resources
August 5, 2010 4:06:13 PM

It's usually used for everyday things; the only games I play are Starcraft 2, maybe WoW, and definitely Diablo 3.
August 5, 2010 4:06:35 PM

But I don't do any hardcore gaming like Crisis or CoD 4 or w/e on the PC>
August 5, 2010 4:37:14 PM

4gb of Ram is sufficient for Windows7 as Win7 actually runs quicker than Vista anyway. Your performance should actually increase with Win7, so I would most definitely upgrade.

However, you may want to do a clean install of Win7. This will produce the best results.
August 5, 2010 5:59:58 PM

ahthurungnone said:
4gb of Ram is sufficient for Windows7 as Win7 actually runs quicker than Vista anyway. Your performance should actually increase with Win7, so I would most definitely upgrade.

However, you may want to do a clean install of Win7. This will produce the best results.

No, I have Win-7 32-bit installed and I have 4gb RAM. However, due to the 32-bit crap, only 3gb of RAM is available.. the other 1gb is set for hardware use or w/e. Supposedly, I read if I use 64-bit Win 7 over the 32-bit, it'll allow for all 4gb to be utilized, rather than the 3... So will 64-bit run ok with 4gb and will there be a big enuf performance increase from utilizing 4 rather than 3?
January 29, 2011 12:24:13 AM

RowdyLeprechaun said:
No, I have Win-7 32-bit installed and I have 4gb RAM. However, due to the 32-bit crap, only 3gb of RAM is available.. the other 1gb is set for hardware use or w/e. Supposedly, I read if I use 64-bit Win 7 over the 32-bit, it'll allow for all 4gb to be utilized, rather than the 3... So will 64-bit run ok with 4gb and will there be a big enuf performance increase from utilizing 4 rather than 3?

Oddly enough, I just upgraded my laptop to Windows 7 64-bit, and it's STILL saying 4g with only 3 usable!! WTF??
a b } Memory
February 23, 2011 6:20:34 AM

Ghett, try to run msconfig and uncheck all "Memory limitation". Then restart your laptop. If still can't, go to BIOS and look for "Memory Remapping", then set to Enabled.

This matter is trivial, some of us desktop users are able to solve the 4GB (...GB usable) problem by unplugging and re-plugging the memory into the slots again. Some are solved by various ways, including dusting the dusted memory slots.
!