HD5870 crossfirex on Asus P6T

Status
Not open for further replies.

metallicaus

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
Hi guyz, I have just built my 2010 PC. but I'm facing a problem here and I need your help pls.

my question: I have asus p6t motherboard that support xfirex. But the problem is that the 5870 is too big and cant installed the sec gpu. the first card is blocking the sec PCI-E slot.

So it is possible to use the third slot instead? And I don't think the length of the crossfirex bridge enough, do they sell any of them longer.

i7 920 3.33 Ghz
6Gb ddr3 kingston hyperx
asus p6t mobo
hd5870 gpy
902 antec

please help :sarcastic:

here is some pictures showing my problem

img0008k.jpg

img0009fr.jpg

I have the P6T and a 5870. Do you currently have a 2nd that you want to install? I am pretty sure they have to stay within spec. Look at this image. It is of an ASUS p6T with (3) 5870's installed. They seem to fit. I am downloading the Manual now to skim over because I am not wondering the same thing, if the 3rd PCI-e slot will run at x16. The setup is x16,x16,x4 however i do not know if the 3rd slot is x4 ONLY or if it is x16 but x4 if 3 cards are installed.

Granted I don't think I would even try and crossfire if I couldn't use the 3rd slot instead. I had tried to crossfire (2) 4870's on this board and the top card would top 100C and crash. I was mad and sold both for a 5870. They do make longer crossfire cables, but I did not pursue.

SapphireHD5870_tricf_01.jpg

Yeah I just read through the manual. The Blue slots are x16 and the white is x4 only.

That kind of stinks. I know the Deluxe version has an extra slot between the first 2 x16 slots. But the 3rd does not have any slots between. So the Deluxe won't be able to have the configuration above, but would be great for 2x crossfire.

metallicaus

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
thanks jay2tall, yes I have checked my mobo user guide and it says x16 x16 x4.

I have it with me and want to install but the space is too blocked.

but after the picture you have posted, I can see they are almost adjasent.
So I will try and let you know.

thanks mate

Yeah you will want to make sure you get some good airflow in there. They have those bat-mobile vents in the back, but not sure if they really allow air to be sucked in or not. I just had a bad experience already with crossfiring on this motherboard because of heat. Performance was awesome, but heat was bad. Granted the cooler on the 5870 was bigger than the one on my 4870's. But still I would make sure you try and move some air between the cards. You have that side fan that you can install, and I would DEFINITELY install something that moves some air between them, just some advice.

I noticed that you have an antec 900 or 902. I believe both have a spot to mount another fan on the side of the case which just happens to face between the two crossfired cards. Perhaps you could add a fan there to blow air between them.

There should be enough room to fit the cards, it's just the air flow might suffer. I also have the P6T.

That link shows the exact same spacing as the P6T. Remember that the two cards take two slots due to their size.

whatspeakyou

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010

it's similar, but not the same. I know for a fact that motherboard fits 2 5870s in it. It's a tad cramped, though. That's the one downer of these mobos.

BionicSteve613

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
It's not the motherboards being too small, it is the video cards getting too massive.

I too have the P6T with a 5870 in it. It breaks my heart to know that I bought a mobo that said 'supports up to quad gpu' and now I know I won't be able to run two gpu's!

People let me know if you have any luck squeezing two 5870's onto a P6T.

Thanks guys.

mercil355

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
Yesterday I put two Asus 5870s on my Asus P6T. Heat is not being kind. I also can't see the temps, activity and fan speed on the second card :( Card is running 49C at idle and stock i7 920 is running at 45C idle with liquid cooled (Corsair H50) on it... Case is Antec 902. I also have no HDDs in the top drive cage so the fan is free to blow on the GPUs... Also the side fan is an exhaust for the GPU heat - but maybe i should make it an intake - since the top fan is so big... suggestions?

Pics V

mercil355

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
Heres how it all went down. The 2 cards together produce a lot of heat and it can't go anywhere. The top card was suffocating due to the lack of breathing room between cards. I am using the rear antec fan that came with the case as an intake fan on the side panel - to blow air between the cards. I also went out and bought 2 120mm 79cfm antec fans for the water cooler. If you have $70 USD to spend on cooling you should get the Corsair H50! My CPU is running cooler than ever - on idle and load. My 5870s are running SO cool now. Even dropping down as low as 29C in idle. Also you should use the Asus SmartDoctor to adjust your 5870's fan speeds. Right now my cards idle fan speeds are 35% where they wouldn't go higher than 22% through Catylist Control Center. Just turn all your fans inward except your top fan (which is now your new exhaust) or unless you don't have the H50...

Oh yeah - Redid all the wiring so as not to have that block any airflow to and from the cards.

ei8htbit

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010

I'm looking to do something similar except I'm running two matrix 5870s on a P6x58D Premium mobo - noticed you're running everything on an 850psu (which I'm also running) have you had any power stability issues or is everything just fine?

Status
Not open for further replies.