Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What exactly are these readings from CPUID?

Last response: in CPUs
March 16, 2010 2:52:21 AM

Okay, I've been trying to understand the readings from CPUID. Here is a snapshot of my temperature readings:

Specifically, Under ITEIT87, there are 3 temperature readings. I think the first (TPMIN0) is my system temperature. The TMPIN1 is my CPU temperature but I have NO idea of what TMPIN2 is and why it's reading 72C.

But then, under the AMD Phenom II X3 720, I see the three core temperatures sitting at 29C.

So, when I'm trying to determine what my CPU temperatures are, I know if I use my hardware monitoring software that came with my motherboard, it reports my CPU temperature as being what CPUID lists as TMPIN1. Is this correct or is my CPU temp what CPUID reports in the Core #0/#1/#2 areas (which is 29C in the picture above)?

Which is the correct CPU temperature? The TMPIN1 or the Core #x readings? because if it's the Core #x readings, then I'm definitely keeping my CPU temps down whereas before, I was thinking I was idling at 41C.

Thanks!

More about : readings cpuid

a c 105 à CPUs
March 16, 2010 3:11:24 AM

TPin2 is most likely your northbridge
m
l
a c 133 à CPUs
March 16, 2010 3:13:56 AM

ct1615 said:
TPin2 is most likely your northbridge

If it is 72c is way too hot
m
l
Related resources
March 16, 2010 3:13:59 AM

Thanks, ct1615.

As far as my CPU temps go, which do I go by: the cpu core readings or the TMPIN1 reading?
m
l
a c 105 à CPUs
March 16, 2010 3:15:50 AM

is it a gigabyte board by any chance?
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
March 16, 2010 3:16:01 AM

isamuelson said:
Thanks, ct1615.

As far as my CPU temps go, which do I go by: the cpu core readings or the TMPIN1 reading?

core. they are the temperatures of each core.
m
l

Best solution

a c 105 à CPUs
March 16, 2010 3:16:25 AM

isamuelson said:
Thanks, ct1615.

your core

a c 133 à CPUs
March 16, 2010 3:18:53 AM

If that is indeed your northbridge at 72c that could cause a problem max temps for a northbridge should not exceed 60c. You might want to look into better case cooling or a northbridge heatsink with a fan.
m
l
a c 105 à CPUs
March 16, 2010 3:20:39 AM

saaiello said:
If it is 72c is way too hot

i have a board that will hit 80c. The heatsink is attached with springs. I should probably go get some screws and re-seat it but from the tech forum, it seems all of the models have that build (issue) and they run fine.... :??: 
m
l
March 16, 2010 3:21:48 AM

ct1615 said:
is it a gigabyte board by any chance?

yes. GA-MA78LM-S2H. Any reason why?
m
l
March 16, 2010 3:23:21 AM

ct1615 said:
your core

Okay. I just know that the Hardware Monitor that came with my Gigabyte board reports the CPU using the TMPIN2 reading. What exactly is that reading then? Ambient temperature around the CPU itself? You state I want the Core reading, so that's what I really want to keep low?
m
l
March 16, 2010 3:25:56 AM

The TMPIN2 sensor is a dead sensor on the CPU itself, but isn't connected to anything. I have a Gigabyte board myself and my TMPIN2 is at 81 degrees C at the moment. The only answer I've found is from here:

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/t293321.html
m
l
a c 105 à CPUs
March 16, 2010 3:26:10 AM

isamuelson said:
yes. GA-MA78LM-S2H. Any reason why?

see my post above, that board is a Gigabyte-MA770. You have the same heatsink, its how they designed it and they say its how it supposed to work.
m
l
a c 133 à CPUs
March 16, 2010 3:35:34 AM

Wow thats crazy it stays that hot my northbridge never gets above 45 and Im overclocked quite a bit I would hate to see how hot that would get if you started overclocking.
m
l
a c 105 à CPUs
March 16, 2010 3:43:36 AM

i have OC the northbridge , temp does not change a single digit. like Look stated, its accuracy is questionable at best and Ive yet to read about one board failing to perform due to it.
m
l
March 16, 2010 10:30:51 AM

One final question (I hope). Since TMPIN1 matches what the hardware monitor states as being the CPU temperature (in this case 41C), what exactly is that temperature representing since the core temps (in this case 29C) are much lower than the TMPIN1 temperature? Should I be concerned if this gets too high yet the core temps stay low? I do know that the TMPIN1 also matches the value that is shown in the bios and not the core temp reading.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 16, 2010 10:46:01 AM

saaiello said:
Wow thats crazy it stays that hot my northbridge never gets above 45 and Im overclocked quite a bit I would hate to see how hot that would get if you started overclocking.

My X58 chipset idles at 80C (loads about the same too). It works perfectly fine. Since none of us has any knowledge of how hot the chipset is capable of running safely, there's no point making up "safe" temperatures. It could be 50C, it could be 150C, we don't know. The only thing that matters is that it is stable.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 16, 2010 10:51:28 AM

isamuelson said:
One final question (I hope). Since TMPIN1 matches what the hardware monitor states as being the CPU temperature, what exactly is that temperature representing since the core temps are much lower than the TMPIN1 temperature? Should I be concerned if this gets too high yet the core temps stay low? I do know that the TMPIN1 also matches the value that is shown in the bios and not the core temp reading.

It makes sense that the core temps must be hotter than any other temperature related to the CPU. After all, they are the source of the heat. Given this assumption, it is still difficult to know whether or not the core temp is being reported too low or the other temp is too high. I have a feeling that TMPIN1 could be a sensor in the socket itself, but perhap I am still thinking of the old days. Information on AMD temperatures is scarce compared to information on Intel temps (although there is potentially still more correct information given how much rubbish there is online about the latter) Note that you are actually only reading one unique temperature for the cores, not 3. K10 CPUs only have one DTS per package.
m
l
a c 133 à CPUs
March 16, 2010 10:53:08 AM

randomizer said:
My X58 chipset idles at 80C (loads about the same too). It works perfectly fine. Since none of us has any knowledge of how hot the chipset is capable of running safely, there's no point making up "safe" temperatures. It could be 50C, it could be 150C, we don't know. The only thing that matters is that it is stable.

Wasnt makeing up temps i have read it in several different articles around that 60 to 70c is the safe temp for a northbridge. But you are right as long as its stable its more that the temp sensor is probably wrong.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 16, 2010 10:57:23 AM

Every NB will be different. Sweeping generalisations can't be made with hardware :)  I think most of those articles would be making guesses as well, although if they ran some tests on stability at different temperatures they could possibly have some more accurate data. Otherwise it's just hearsay and guesswork without component specs. ;) 
m
l
March 16, 2010 11:16:35 AM

randomizer said:
Every NB will be different. Sweeping generalisations can't be made with hardware :)  I think most of those articles would be making guesses as well, although if they ran some tests on stability at different temperatures they could possibly have some more accurate data. Otherwise it's just hearsay and guesswork without component specs. ;) 

Dead on the money, I have an eVGA x58 board, and the northbridge ranges from 60 - 80 celsius and I have good airflow. I think it varies on mfg and chipset really.
m
l
March 16, 2010 11:29:59 AM

Best answer selected by isamuelson.
m
l
July 7, 2010 12:17:17 AM

randomizer said:

according to intel if your running below 70 c all is well.
m
l
!