What exactly are these readings from CPUID?

isamuelson

Distinguished
Okay, I've been trying to understand the readings from CPUID. Here is a snapshot of my temperature readings:
2117810130045005480S600x600Q85.jpg

Specifically, Under ITEIT87, there are 3 temperature readings. I think the first (TPMIN0) is my system temperature. The TMPIN1 is my CPU temperature but I have NO idea of what TMPIN2 is and why it's reading 72C.

But then, under the AMD Phenom II X3 720, I see the three core temperatures sitting at 29C.

So, when I'm trying to determine what my CPU temperatures are, I know if I use my hardware monitoring software that came with my motherboard, it reports my CPU temperature as being what CPUID lists as TMPIN1. Is this correct or is my CPU temp what CPUID reports in the Core #0/#1/#2 areas (which is 29C in the picture above)?

Which is the correct CPU temperature? The TMPIN1 or the Core #x readings? because if it's the Core #x readings, then I'm definitely keeping my CPU temps down whereas before, I was thinking I was idling at 41C.

Thanks!

isamuelson

Distinguished

Okay. I just know that the Hardware Monitor that came with my Gigabyte board reports the CPU using the TMPIN2 reading. What exactly is that reading then? Ambient temperature around the CPU itself? You state I want the Core reading, so that's what I really want to keep low?

isamuelson

Distinguished
One final question (I hope). Since TMPIN1 matches what the hardware monitor states as being the CPU temperature (in this case 41C), what exactly is that temperature representing since the core temps (in this case 29C) are much lower than the TMPIN1 temperature? Should I be concerned if this gets too high yet the core temps stay low? I do know that the TMPIN1 also matches the value that is shown in the bios and not the core temp reading.

randomizer

Champion

My X58 chipset idles at 80C (loads about the same too). It works perfectly fine. Since none of us has any knowledge of how hot the chipset is capable of running safely, there's no point making up "safe" temperatures. It could be 50C, it could be 150C, we don't know. The only thing that matters is that it is stable.

randomizer

Champion

It makes sense that the core temps must be hotter than any other temperature related to the CPU. After all, they are the source of the heat. Given this assumption, it is still difficult to know whether or not the core temp is being reported too low or the other temp is too high. I have a feeling that TMPIN1 could be a sensor in the socket itself, but perhap I am still thinking of the old days. Information on AMD temperatures is scarce compared to information on Intel temps (although there is potentially still more correct information given how much rubbish there is online about the latter) Note that you are actually only reading one unique temperature for the cores, not 3. K10 CPUs only have one DTS per package.

Wasnt makeing up temps i have read it in several different articles around that 60 to 70c is the safe temp for a northbridge. But you are right as long as its stable its more that the temp sensor is probably wrong.

randomizer

Champion
Every NB will be different. Sweeping generalisations can't be made with hardware :) I think most of those articles would be making guesses as well, although if they ran some tests on stability at different temperatures they could possibly have some more accurate data. Otherwise it's just hearsay and guesswork without component specs. ;)

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009

Dead on the money, I have an eVGA x58 board, and the northbridge ranges from 60 - 80 celsius and I have good airflow. I think it varies on mfg and chipset really.

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010

according to intel if your running below 70 c all is well.