Solved

Grahpics Card making terrible rattling sound (Radeon 1650)

Yesterday, without prior warning, a loud rattling sound began emanating from my computer.

I'm pretty sure its the graphics card, and the fan,
i've tried cleaning it (dust spray) but to no avail.
I cant really test for sure thats whats making the noise, as i cannot plug my screen in, if i take it out.
I know i'll have to buy a new one
My question is, can i somehow disable the fan, or just be able to view my screen without the card being enabled.
If all else fails, should i still be using my PC (with the rattling) or is it bad for everything else on board? I keep fearing something will happen!!
I know my language is a little amateurish, but if someone can help i would greatly appreciate
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about grahpics card making terrible rattling sound radeon 1650
  1. Best answer
    Just touch the fan gently on the central hub to stop it while the comp is running. Mind the blades and direction of rotation. Short time stopping of the fan won't damage the card as the heat wont have time to build up (especially when the card is basically idling in windows desktop).
  2. Kari said:
    Just touch the fan gently on the central hub to stop it while the comp is running. Mind the blades and direction of rotation. Short time stopping of the fan won't damage the card as the heat wont have time to build up (especially when the card is basically idling in windows desktop).

Problem is , I will have to turn it, on its side, as its in a tower, and the fan faces the floor, right at the bottom of the unit
    Not enough for me to get my hands in
  3. yeah, that will make things more complicated...
    I suppose you could unplug the fan (if the fan header is easily accessible) and start it up briefly. Some cards have wierd safety systems that prevent complete boot up if there isnt anything connected into the fan header. But then again, when the fan on my old 9800pro failed, I just tossed the little fan in a bin and strapped a 80mm molex powered case fan ontop the heatsink and it worked just fine. :)
  4. Kari said:
    yeah, that will make things more complicated...
    I suppose you could unplug the fan (if the fan header is easily accessible) and start it up briefly. Some cards have wierd safety systems that prevent complete boot up if there isnt anything connected into the fan header. But then again, when the fan on my old 9800pro failed, I just tossed the little fan in a bin and strapped a 80mm molex powered case fan ontop the heatsink and it worked just fine. :)

Yes , I managed to put something on the fan to stop it for a moment, and the noise completely went away
    Now
    Is there any way to stop it , coz its really irritating, until a new card arrives?
    or even remove it safely?
    And can I / should i still be using my PC?

Thanks so so much!
  5. so tell me how bad this is, i taped some electrical tape over the fan,
    there's just a little bit of tic tock rattling noise from the card.
    How bad a (temporary) move is this?
    its pretty cold here right now (east coast NY) and I do have 2 fans inside the system.
    Have a new card on order now
  6. When the fan on my 7300GT died, I took the 7300 out, unscrewed the HSF combo, then took the fan out, and screwed the heatsink back. Then I took a PCI slot fan & put that on top of it.
  7. If your motherboard has onboard graphics you could use that until your new card arrives.
  8. i dont think i have on board graphics, i see no screen port on the outside
    my motherboard is gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6
    this morning my video card fan head (the part with the blades) just stopped spinning, and came right off,
    i dont seem to be able to use it without,
    Help! if only i could go back to the rickety noise , i would take it, coz i need my pc.
    is it safe to crazy glue it back on?
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics