THIS is why you need a quad core!

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
D6kzJ.jpg

kkiddu

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
Wow. Can I play Dave with Quad and Onboard Graphics ? Or do I need a 5970 for that ?

Honestly, though...how can someone be fooled by that ? I'm running an Athlon 2400+ and I do more than that with a single core.

Well if you look at the ad you will see that it says "The Ideal Desktop for Great Performance On a Budget." Now look a little closer: Is that a picture of a desktop? 'Cause it looks a lot like my laptop. I think I would be very careful in trying to buy from this vendor!

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

lol... Actually to the average computer illiterate person it means that more cores = always better. It's ok to make fun of quad cores Randomizer... you know that, right? They wont magically die one day if you do :lol: :lol:

randomizer

Champion

Which is different to saying "you need a quad to check your email." And being an ad that is trying to get you to pay more, making it sound like more = better, or anything = better (when in fact it isn't), isn't exactly surprising. Perhaps you've never done marketing. Twisting the facts is what they do.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

yeah and some people buy into it huh? I mean... you love more and more cores yet here we have an amazing thread on toms on the front page talking about how 4 cores > 4 cores with 4 logical threads. Oh silly me could it be that you were wrong for once in assuming more cores > * like the average consumer does because of faulty marketing? No... never.... :lol:

randomizer

Champion
I don't assume anything. You assume I assume. I also never said that more cores > all in every situation. But you enjoy gross exaggeration and misrepresentation of facts so I've come to expect that from you. The only thing in your post that I can see that is correct in relation to what I say is that I love more cores, which I do. But that's because I can use them. If you can't well that's your problem, stick with your dual core.

I also can't find the article you're referring to.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

Its called a thread not an article as I said above.

And the only reason you love more cores is just to USE more cores. It is circular reasoning. You have no real need for more cores - you just want them so you can use them. You are not a professional in the field of rendering or photo editing so the time you shave off having a 6 core 12 thread processor is meaningless. I don't know about you but I do not notice a .00001 time difference when adding 7 filters on a photoshop design. Whatever suits YOU though. You can keep your circular reasoning but it might not be applicable for 99.9999% of people.

Are you trying to say not needing more cores invalidates wanting more cores? Just because he doesn't NEED them, doesn't mean he can't LOVE them. If he finds software that helps him take advantage of four cores isn't that reason enough? Why do people insist on telling others they shouldn't have something unless they absolutely need it? If he wants a gazillion-core processor who really gives a ***? Let him have it. The need is irrelevent. Buy what you want and let others do the same. You don't NEED to stand on a soap box.

randomizer

Champion

You also said it was on the front page so I assumed you just used the wrong word. My bad, which thread is it then? I don't have time to search through every thread on this forum for it, especially since I don't even know the title...

Incorrect assumption again, you're arguing a straw man. I am a very impatient person when I have to wait for the computer to complete a task. If I can shave 5% off rendering times then that's a good thing. Fortunately, having more cores does alot better than that. Scaling is almost linear. My i7 without HT would render the same image in half the time of an equally clocked dual core of the same architecture. Enabling HT drops render times by another 15%, which is significant for a longer render. Perhaps if you tried doing something other than playing games you'd understand more about the world outside your little box.

I could also argue that you don't need anything more than a P4. All your software runs on it, why would you ever want 2 cores?!

I don't care what you don't notice when you've clearly never done what I do. No I am not a professional, I'm an amateur and I do it because I enjoy it. I do not use photoshop, I'm hopeless at it. I would not buy a quad just for that. But rendering, as I stated above, does not receive an insignificant time reduction with more cores.

I never said it would.