Sign in with
Your question

Need information from Water Cooling users!

Last response: in Overclocking
August 12, 2012 1:38:47 AM

Hey everyone.

When it comes to water-cooling, I have been extremely put off by the idea.
Just the thought of water going through my system terrifies me.

But with the times moving forward, It has become quite a big thing and is quite effective.

I need to know some things about water cooling before I make a decision to move from air to water.

My case was already built for a water-cooling system to be installed so I don't need to worry about that.

What I really want to know is how reliable is it?
What's the process of making sure it will not break?
How often do water tubes break?
How easy is it to set up?
How much of a difference does it make compared to air cooling?

Just the general basics of water cooling.

Also, what brands do I look at?
Which brands do I avoid?

I want to be able to move to water cooling but I want to be assured that it won't destroy my system because of a leaking pipe.

All information will be greatly appreciated! :D 
a c 330 K Overclocking
August 12, 2012 2:17:45 AM

Please read through the watercooling sticky at the top of the forum (likely several times)...it is also linked in my signature below.

Quote:

But with the times moving forward, It has become quite a big thing and is quite effective.

So why are you now considering it? Are you sure you really want to?
Quote:
I need to know some things about water cooling before I make a decision to move from air to water.

The sticky should help you immensely.

Quote:
My case was already built for a water-cooling system to be installed so I don't need to worry about that.

How so? There are several factors that ultimately go into this such as pump mounting location and total amount of radiators needed to cool your system.

Quote:
What I really want to know is how reliable is it?

Depends on what you buy.
Quote:
What's the process of making sure it will not break?

Depends on what you buy.
Quote:
How often do water tubes break?

They don't...they are made from silicone/PVC/vinyl, etc.
Quote:
How easy is it to set up?

Depends on your overall knowledge and understanding. It could be difficult if you don't know what you are doing, but once you understand what is needed and why, you can work on planning your install and getting it setup and running.
Quote:
How much of a difference does it make compared to air cooling?

For a CPU, not as much unless you are looking at some significant overclocks. For GPUs, you can expect around 30-40C drops in temps.

Quote:
Just the general basics of water cooling.

The sticky will cover this and a lot more. Trust me...you'll want more than just the basics.

Quote:
Also, what brands do I look at?
Which brands do I avoid?

Just avoid Thermaltake, Zalman and Larkooler, among others. You don't want anything with aluminum in it.

Quote:
I want to be able to move to water cooling but I want to be assured that it won't destroy my system because of a leaking pipe.

Assurance is only as good as your ability to purchase, setup and build your loop...we can't guarantee you'll do a good job at it. If you don't have much attention to detail or tend to do things half-way, you might find yourself with a leak.

Quote:
All information will be greatly appreciated

Read the sticky and all links contained within as much as possible.
August 12, 2012 2:44:14 AM

What is your case? how is it prepared for water cooling?

Regarding bransds, I advice you to take a look at Koolance and swiftech. I can recommend what I have used and this is my setup:

Koolance CPU block. (they make really nice looking ones, but swiftech is good too)
Swiftech pump (you want the MCP-35X, dont get any other)
Swiftech Radiator/Reservoir combo (any brand is fine here)
Zalman tubing (tubing is same among any brand)

You know, I was terrifeid at first too, but the water doenst touch anything, it just run trough some tubes, and the tubes do not leak, the fittings are really well done and works flawleslly. It is reliable and wont break. Its easy to set up, but it takes time and you have to like doing it..have fun!

My CPU dropped from 50oC to 30oC

My picture has a Sweiftech Radiator attached to the side of my case. It has 2x 120mm fans
Related resources
August 12, 2012 4:36:07 AM

I would have to agree, read the water cooling sticky over and it will give you a really good idea. In my opinion i think it is quite safe as long as you take the precautionary steps and leak test properly you shouldn't have any problems. that being said *** happens and there is always a chance of a leak. Between this forum and Overclock.net forum for water cooling you should be able to find all the answers you need. Also Stick with quality parts ( Bitspower, Swifttech, XSPC, Koolance est . . ) Take your time building it. Plan your loop out well and you should have no problems. As for transportation you probably could transport it without problems but its not something i would be moving around a ton. that'
s just me though. For difference between air and water you will see a better yield in GPU temp drops then CPU but over all will see a big temp drops. the bigger the OC the bigger difference you will see in the performance between air and water.
a c 239 K Overclocking
August 12, 2012 3:12:35 PM

nate vongrimm said:

You're not going to be running raw water flow over your electronic components like taking it in the back yard and hosing it down, the water will be contained in the cooling system, you will leak test before any actual power is applied to your components, to make sure the water to cool stays within it's controlled parameters.

All you have to fear, is fear itself!

Who said that? FDR Maybe?

The fear of the unknown is very common, but once you overcome that fear and apply what you learn from the sticky as suggested, and put your first water cooling into operation it is no longer the unknown.

Cars are water cooled and the majority of motorcycles as well, but you don't see that as weird or uncommon, but it's easy to be fearful relating water to a computer, but water cooling a computer is becoming more common every single day.
a b K Overclocking
August 12, 2012 5:35:48 PM

Is water cooling the right choose I asked myself that question 15 years ago so I asked what am I using it for? What am I expecting from it? And how much will it cost me?
1) The CPU and GPU
2) To extend the life of the components
3) My first build was the swiftech q-power case and kit $600 US
This was acceptable to me and I haven’t looked back since
Here is a look at where I am at today

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274855-29-experimenta...
!