Can u use the core multiplier for over clocking

zroow

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
i have read in some others forums that that is all you have to do, on the forums they also state that you might have to mess with vcore and the north bridge if i am under standing correctly. so why i am asking is i would be more inclined to over clock if i just have to up the multiplier. i want to know also be cause i want to have no bottle neck neck when i get my other 6850 :cry:

M5a88-v evo
phenom ii x4 965 BE
rosewill HIVE 750
radeon 6850
G.Skill Ripjaws 8 bgs 1600mhz

ps i didnt know if my sig would show up because this is first time posting btw i know my english sucks

I don't have the AMD cpu but I do know that when overclocking the AMD cpu that you have to add voltage when you increase the multiplier.
It's not a hard thing to do and you can even try doing it without increasing the voltage and just increase the multiplier because all that will happen is it won't work if it needs the voltage and you can just set the multiplier back to what it was.
If you do decide to add voltage you have to add it in very small increments , like literaly just the next number above what it currently is now.

bobusboy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
I believe the max voltage for all Phenom II CPUs is 1.55v.

You shouldn't have to adjust the voltage just that much to just adjust the multiplier. But if you mess with the core speed at all then you will need to increase the voltage.

There are 2 ways to overclock, the simplest way is to increase the multiplier. The only way you can increase the multiplier is to buy a CPU that has an "unlocked" multiplier, and most standard CPUS the multiplier is locked, or cannot be raised beyond the highest stock setting. (It can be lowered however) Your BE edition multiplier is unlocked, and can be raised.
The second more complicated way is to work with the front side buss. Both methods can usually accomplish minor success without having to mess with voltage or anything else. The further you go, the more likely you will need up the voltage, or a host of other tweaks made need to be brought into the factor that we don't really need to get into here, there are entire websites devoted to overclocking.
Its a trial and error type deal.

You quoted his original post stating what he already has.

phenom ii x4 965 BE

BE stands for Black Edition (Unlocked Multiplier CPU)