VaultBoy13

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
I recently bought the following and built my new gaming system:

Case/PSU: Antec Nine Hundred + EA650 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 650W Power Supply
MB: ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard
CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor Model ADX620WFGIBOX
RAM: G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBECO
GPU: SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
DVD: LITE-ON 24x DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model DH-24AAS
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders

When I booted the computer for the first time, I simply used the default BIOS settings. But, I imagine there are probably some settings I should be setting. I looked at the BIOS for beginners article, but being nearly 5 years old, I wasn't sure how much of it still applied. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Solution
Outside of overclocking... You want to review your DRAM timings and voltage in your BIOS to make sure they match the specific timings and voltage on the RAM stick. If they don't match, you'll want to set each section to Manual so you can adjust them in the BIOS. Adjust them to the appropriate settings, save and exit.

tecmo34

Administrator
Outside of overclocking... You want to review your DRAM timings and voltage in your BIOS to make sure they match the specific timings and voltage on the RAM stick. If they don't match, you'll want to set each section to Manual so you can adjust them in the BIOS. Adjust them to the appropriate settings, save and exit.

Solution

TipsyMcStagger

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009

Hey VaultBoy...I'm getting ready to assemble a very similar configuration (see my thread here).

I'm very much a novice, having followed online guides in the past for my current setup. Just wondering if you have any assembly advice or suggestions for a guide I can follow?

Thanks.

Tipsy

tecmo34

Administrator

VaultBoy13

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
Tipsy, that's the guide I used. I looked over the guide to have a good idea of what I needed to do and be aware of before I did my build. Building the PC was pretty straight forward and during the build I never had to refer to the guide. It wasn't until Windows was installed and I wanted to do some benchmarking and monitor the temperature that I referred back to it.

As far as learning experiences, verify which screws to use to mount the motherboard. I had already placed my motherboard in the case and there were a variety of small screws. The first I tried was the right size but wrong threads (making it slightly loose), it was a real PITA to remove that screw.

TipsyMcStagger

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009

Thanks for the info! Hopefully I'll get to it this weekend!

Tipsy