2500k + Noctua NH d14 normal temp

The Dark Lord

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
Hi,

I recently bought a D14 for overclocking my 2500k and I'm somewhat not sure if these reading are normal or not (no overclocking):

ideal: 40c
Full load Prime 95 for 15min: 60c

should I proceed with overclocking or these numbers are too high for that?

my case is Xpredator Evil Black and I done my best in cable managing, so I guess I should have enough air flow in there.

should I apply more thermal paste? I followed the Noctua's own installation manual and just applied a tiny bit of paste on the center.

G

He wrote didn't oc the cpu, these are not normal for NH-D14 under this chip i got at 35 C ambient 38 C idle with NH-D14....

Assuming you didn't do any mistakes applying the thermal paste, is very difficult to change it, because noctua stock thermal past is far more better from what they sell in aftermarket! Only Indigo 2 extrem is your next choice and your cpu will run in ambient temprature for sure in idle.

You need to increase the airflow to your cpu cooler and your box, using the 4 incoming fans by the side, then you can get 4.5 or 4.7 Ghz with this chip and the same tempratures you post now.

The Dark Lord

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
He wrote didn't oc the cpu, these are not normal for NH-D14 under this chip i got at 35 C ambient 38 C idle with NH-D14....

Assuming you didn't do any mistakes applying the thermal paste, is very difficult to change it, because noctua stock thermal past is far more better from what they sell in aftermarket! Only Indigo 2 extrem is your next choice and your cpu will run in ambient temprature for sure in idle.

You need to increase the airflow to your cpu cooler and your box, using the 4 incoming fans by the side, then you can get 4.5 or 4.7 Ghz with this chip and the same tempratures you post now.

I'm not sure about the mistake with thermal paste, I just did as noctua manual states, then I saw this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/LGA-2011-i7-3960X-Air-Overclocking,3130-10.html

and as you can see the tom's people bathed the CPU in thermal paste! :??: I searched around the forums and most people recommending not to apply this level of thermal paste.

I don't know how I'm going to increase the air flow inside, it has already 8 working fans. there is no place left for adding another fan.

G

What was the room temprature when you got these tempratures? You see there is no way to get below the ambient temprature.

A Thermal paste round up is here:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/274824-11-thermal-compound-roundup-2011

Trust me Notua stock thermal paste is more than enough.

Another link is here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooling-air-pressure-heatsink,3058-9.html

But yes you aplly all the Noctua in the middle and after you place the cooler you must not move it or remove it.

The Dark Lord

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
Room temperature is 30c and motherboard sensor reports ambient temperature at 35c.

Currently I'm hitting 70c with 4.5 GHz overclock in Prime95, it's stable and I done some offset overclocking tweaks to lower the Vcore a little bit to add some temperature headroom which I guess was not effective enough temperature wise.

is 70c normal with Noctua and 4.5 GHz overclock?

cbrunnem

Distinguished

read the original question throughout before answering

those are fine considering the ambient temp.

nacos

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012
I hit 85c on my 3570k in prime95 @ 4.5ghz. You shouldn't be concerned unless you are hitting 95c. No game brings my temps above 75c. I'm using a coolermaster hyper 212 evo.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

these are dangerous temps as well dude. the hotter you get the longer the lower the life span.

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
A fairly decent test of airflow is to remove the side of your case and see if the temps are lower. If they are then get additional fans as the hot air in your case is not getting out. I am guessing you are only using the stock fans, the front and top 23cm fans. I would start with adding one to the rear of the case.

If they are the same then re-apply the thermal paste.

The temps are a bit high in my opinion, if you plan to overclock then you will want to address this.

burns11

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005

I have, that's why lifetime decreased from 20-30 years to 15. 85c under extreme load isn't great, but it's far from dangerous. You couldn't even get to dangerous heat levels with a 3570k, it would throttle well before.

In the end, with the temps given, the CPU will be the longest lasting electronic part in that computer.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

you can destroy your chip thats your decision but i like to spread good safe advise not marginal advise at best.

burns11

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005

Misinformation is not safe advice. BTW, you do realize the voltage jump you have is more damaging than his occasional temperature spike, right?

cbrunnem

Distinguished

what voltage jump do you speak of? also idc if my chip burns up tmr but that doesnt mean i dont know the risks

nacos

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012
Ill most likely upgrade for skylake/skymont anyways. I don't see myself using the same cpu for over 5 years because it will easily be outdated by then. I'm only pumping 1.1v through it anywho.