Sign in with
Your question

Going for it. need help with some stuff though.

Tags:
  • Water Cooling
  • Cases
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
  • Product
Last response: in Overclocking
August 12, 2012 12:29:37 PM

Alright, so my proposed rig will be a rose will black hawk super tower case, lepa 1600w, asrock extreme11, 32gb gskill 2133, 4xmsi lightning 7970.

I need recommendations for blocks, tubes, fittings, reservoirs and so on. So far I am thinkingthat I will simply lead the tubes outside of my case to a external phobya 1260 radiator with 9x140mm fans installed or 4x220mm fans. CPU block swiftech HD to do two parallel loops (would it be worth it for the massive radiator? And if can I have one set going from CPU straight to rad and the other from CPU to gfx to rad?). Was looking at ek block for msi lightning cards as this is the only non reference block for 7970 I have seen. I want to do a lot of 90 degree adapters instead of bending the tubes for aesthetics ex: compression fitting out of CPU block straight out from block to gfx card plug height then adapter to run another tube straight to gfx card. Same will be done all throughout interior of case.

I was thinking of going with a red on black theme as the blocks and mobo will be all black, my ram is red and then I was going to do red tubing, coolant, fittings, led fans, and cold cathodes. Please give me any advice, criticisms, remarks. If something sounds stupid please tell me. This is to run 3x2560x1440 in portrait mode and 5x2560x1440 if mst 1.2 hubs are released

I already have 1/2 ram, mobo, psu, case and one monitor on hand. So everything else can be changed. Want to order soon so answers withing next week are appreciated.

More about : stuff

August 12, 2012 12:35:50 PM

Completely forgot to say CPU is 3939k sandy e and hope to over clock to at least 4.8GHz. Also will 2 mcp655's be enough for all this? As I was looking at the all in on swiftech reservoir and dual mcp655 dual bay piece.

Edit: after some more research I'm now thinking about 4GB 680s as it seems that the ek blocks will fit the 4GB models. Will just have to do thermal pads for back gram chips. Also it seems the msi lightning name has really gone ****.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 12, 2012 5:42:44 PM

ok so what your Wanting to cool is 3x GPU’s and a CPU right? that is a lot of hardware and you will need a few rads for all of that I would pick a rad that you are willing to pay for and then figure out how many you will need for this setup we can help with that.
m
l
Related resources
a c 220 à CPUs
a c 139 K Overclocking
August 13, 2012 3:43:11 AM

I know that the motherboards for the socket 2011 will hold up to 64gb of ram but what are you doing that would require 32gb of ram?
Instead of four GTX 680's you could get two of the Evga Hydro Copper 690's and they come with the water blocks attached.

http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=04G-P4-269... 600 Series Family&sw=

I guess you have an unlimited budget to be building this computer , are you taking out a second morgage on your house?

The Silverstone TJ11 is a much better case then the Rosewill.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This radiator is a massive piece of hardware and will give you great cooling power.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_p...

With a cooling system this large you need to not rush it and take some time to plan it out.

These fans might be a bit on the loud side but the move an impressive amount of air each. The rated cfm of each fan is 215 cfm.

If you are going to have and cool four GTX 680's a cpu and 32gb of ram then you need to have a two loop system with two pumps , two radiators and two resivoirs.
m
l
August 13, 2012 9:34:19 AM

inzone said:
I know that the motherboards for the socket 2011 will hold up to 64gb of ram but what are you doing that would require 32gb of ram?
Instead of four GTX 680's you could get two of the Evga Hydro Copper 690's and they come with the water blocks attached.

http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=04G-P4-269... 600 Series Family&sw=

I guess you have an unlimited budget to be building this computer , are you taking out a second morgage on your house?

The Silverstone TJ11 is a much better case then the Rosewill.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This radiator is a massive piece of hardware and will give you great cooling power.

With a cooling system this large you need to not rush it and take some time to plan it out.

These fans might be a bit on the loud side but the move an impressive amount of air each. The rated cfm of each fan is 215 cfm.

If you are going to have and cool four GTX 680's a cpu and 32gb of ram then you need to have a two loop system with two pumps , two radiators and two resivoirs.

The reason that 2x690 will.not work is because I will need at least 3GB of video ram in order to power the monitors I plan to get. I already have one yamakasi cat leap and plan to get more for a combined resolution of 2560x4320.

So if two if those 480 rads would do the trick then would that single 1260 with mid to high rpm fans probably be just fine? I understand it wouldn't be as thick. I was hoping doing two parallel loops through the CPU and then possibly 1 loop through two cards and another through the other two cards would work and then recombining in the read as the 1260 has three inlets and three outlets as well. I would just need to find a dual inlet/outlet Res for a cleaner look or as you said have two and each have their own pump. Are there any reasons not to have a read outside the case?

Also, at that price why wouldn't I just get the 7000-8000 rpm fans?

m
l
a c 220 à CPUs
a c 139 K Overclocking
August 13, 2012 3:59:08 PM

On my current setup both of the radiators are outside the case and in the desk along with a second psu that powers the fans , lights and pumps. That frees up the main psu to run the video cards and motherboard and hard drives.
The Alfaool Monsta radiator s have six ports on one end and a seventh on the other end , three in , three out and an extra one.
The thing that I like about the Feser Tribwerk fans is that they are thick (120x55) and will push (pull) a lot of air (215cfm) at only 2800 rpms. I currently have the low rpm model and they do a good job but I am reducing the sizes of the radiators so I am stepping uo the speed. Fans running at 7000 or 8000 rpms will sound like a jet engine. I just recently found an insane bargin. You can't beat this with a stick.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13560/fan-890/Feser_T...
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 337 K Overclocking
August 13, 2012 4:52:32 PM

It all comes down to TDP when considering cooling- so we kind of need to know what you are actually going to cool before you decide to order the parts to do so.

What is this going to be used for? There was mention that it needed to run some pretty decent resolutions, but is this for gaming, workstation, video editing, etc? I'm trying to determine what cards you should be using and what resolutions and for what purpose.
m
l
August 14, 2012 2:48:37 AM

inzone said:
On my current setup both of the radiators are outside the case and in the desk along with a second psu that powers the fans , lights and pumps. That frees up the main psu to run the video cards and motherboard and hard drives.
The Alfaool Monsta radiator s have six ports on one end and a seventh on the other end , three in , three out and an extra one.
The thing that I like about the Feser Tribwerk fans is that they are thick (120x55) and will push (pull) a lot of air (215cfm) at only 2800 rpms. I currently have the low rpm model and they do a good job but I am reducing the sizes of the radiators so I am stepping uo the speed. Fans running at 7000 or 8000 rpms will sound like a jet engine. I just recently found an insane bargin. You can't beat this with a stick.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13560/fan-890/Feser_T...

most reviews on this fan dont look very great, what is your experience with these fans? in terms of performance and quality? No disrespect intended i am just curious as to whether you may have struck lucky with a working set :p 
m
l
a c 220 à CPUs
a c 139 K Overclocking
August 14, 2012 3:44:51 AM

I have been using the low rpm model for about a year now and they are very quiet and they keep the radiators cool so I have no complaints. I have just decided to replace my current radiators with the Alphacool Monsta model because they come 86mm in thickness and went with a 360 and 240 to replace the 480 and 360 that I had. With the 86 mm thickness I figured I would go with the higher cfm Fesser Treibwerk because they have a 215 cfm rating and they were unusually cheap $10 ea. If they don't work out I still have the others that I know work.
m
l
August 14, 2012 3:52:26 AM

No worries, i was just curious as i started looking into getting them but i already have a huge noise problem haha.
m
l
a c 220 à CPUs
a c 139 K Overclocking
August 14, 2012 4:23:38 AM

If you can find the low rpm fans then they do work great and I'm waiting to see what the noise level is when I fire them up.
m
l
August 14, 2012 4:58:34 AM

no worries. Whats the CFM on the low rpm ones? im currently using a HL Black Ice GT stealth so i need a fair bit as its 30FPI. my current fans from coolermaster are at about 90CFM or somewhere close to that at about 20dba.
m
l
August 14, 2012 7:51:00 AM

rubix_1011 said:
It all comes down to TDP when considering cooling- so we kind of need to know what you are actually going to cool before you decide to order the parts to do so.

What is this going to be used for? There was mention that it needed to run some pretty decent resolutions, but is this for gaming, workstation, video editing, etc? I'm trying to determine what cards you should be using and what resolutions and for what purpose.

Gaming primarily.Most likely cooling 4 gtx 680s, over locked 3930k and that's it.
m
l
August 14, 2012 10:14:26 AM

CrestfallenDesign said:
no worries. Whats the CFM on the low rpm ones? im currently using a HL Black Ice GT stealth so i need a fair bit as its 30FPI. my current fans from coolermaster are at about 90CFM or somewhere close to that at about 20dba.

can you link me a fan that can do 90 cfm at 20 dba? Either the manufacturer greatly inflate the cfm or deflate the noise level since even the most expensive one out there can't achieve that cfm at that noise level.
m
l
August 14, 2012 10:47:11 AM

IF its for gaming you won't need 32 GB of RAM, 16 GB of RAM will suffice.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 337 K Overclocking
August 14, 2012 6:08:14 PM

Quote:
Gaming primarily.Most likely cooling 4 gtx 680s, over locked 3930k and that's it.

Are you absolutely sure this is required, or are you shooting for overkill? You still need to calculate your loop TDP, regardless of cards you use.

Quote:
IF its for gaming you won't need 32 GB of RAM, 16 GB of RAM will suffice.

Agreed. Even then, 16GB is overkill and 8GB would easily suffice.
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
August 14, 2012 6:18:11 PM

CFM isn't everything, remember static pressure and CFM are different :) 

Unless, OP wants thick rads....
m
l
a c 220 à CPUs
a c 139 K Overclocking
August 14, 2012 8:34:45 PM

CrestfallenDesign said:

You can check out the spec's at the site.

http://www.tfc-triebwerk.com/
m
l
August 15, 2012 12:40:57 AM

To be honest I was thinking of doing the extra 16gb as overkill And aesthetics for my internal look, but I also wasn't sure how much ram could be used if using cad/prove assemblies while watching 1080 movies and so one at the same time... the video cards I ampretty sure are necessary as bf3 requires about 3gb of video ram for the resolution I am aiming for and the reason I use 2560x1440 is for the pixel density. My primary concern is that everything is visually awesome. Therefore I want to be Able to Max out all games on ultra, although even I will admit with the Res as probably won't be needed and if it is not much will be.

Each card should consume almost 200w and then the processor according to a psu website will require almost 500w when fully overclocked. (Nit sure how accurate that may be. So total tdp should be under 1500w with gfx over clocks I would assume.
m
l
August 15, 2012 1:31:33 AM

dctravis said:
To be honest I was thinking of doing the extra 16gb as overkill And aesthetics for my internal look, but I also wasn't sure how much ram could be used if using cad/prove assemblies while watching 1080 movies and so one at the same time... the video cards I ampretty sure are necessary as bf3 requires about 3gb of video ram for the resolution I am aiming for and the reason I use 2560x1440 is for the pixel density. My primary concern is that everything is visually awesome. Therefore I want to be Able to Max out all games on ultra, although even I will admit with the Res as probably won't be needed and if it is not much will be.

Each card should consume almost 200w and then the processor according to a psu website will require almost 500w when fully overclocked. (Nit sure how accurate that may be. So total tdp should be under 1500w with gfx over clocks I would assume.

To play at 3x 2560-1600 resolution and max AA and AF, I think a 4GB card like GTX680x2 or x3 would be ideal and better than the 3GB card 7970. The HD 7970 3GB would be fine if you play at 3x 1920-1080, but you are talking about 3x 2560-1600 with max AA and AF on a graphic intense game like BF3, I don't think 3 GB is quite enough.
m
l
August 15, 2012 2:21:37 AM

Flare01 said:
can you link me a fan that can do 90 cfm at 20 dba? Either the manufacturer greatly inflate the cfm or deflate the noise level since even the most expensive one out there can't achieve that cfm at that noise level.

http://www.coolermaster.com.au/product.php?product_id=6...
Im not sure how accurate it is for noise levels as i am unable to check it myself but they're barely audible and do push a lot of air. I guess Cooler Master wouldnt attempt to put false information on their own website because of legal reasons so i guess it might be legit. I was also suprised at the figures.

(edit)
Legal reasons being false advertising.
Even if they mean at highest speed its at 90CFM and lowest is 19dBA when I have the fans running at full speed theyre almost as quiet as my stock NZXT case fans on lowest speed.
However i've noticed a vibration on one of the three i've ordered that puts out quite a loud noise but it seems like the magnet might be at fault there because if you give it a quick poke in the middle it fixes it up for say the next few days.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 337 K Overclocking
August 15, 2012 4:49:25 PM

Quote:

While this might be true for the entire system, you need to account for the TDP of the components being watercooled: CPU + GPU's in question as these will need to be accounted for in your loop. While power consumption at 100% TDP is not exactly 100% efficient to the output of heat energy, they are directly related; power in watts is utilized, heat in watts is expelled. Something along the lines of 85-90% of actual TDP could easily be assumed; but be sure to include the intended clock speeds when determining TDP as most info you find is for stock speeds only; overclocking obviously raises TDP due to increased clock speed and power consumption and therefore heat output.
m
l
!