Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking a EVGA 560Ti "Fermi" "Superclocked"

Last response: in Overclocking
August 12, 2012 2:09:36 PM

I'm an extremely novice computer builder looking for a dummies guide to overclocking the following card further than its shipped settings. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I purchased the cardabout 6-7 months ago along with a fancy new high end mobo and an I5-2500k with the intent to overclock, but i've been to paranoid to actually attempt it. The card under load is generally around 45-55C with the fan running almost constantly at max RPMs because i'm afraid it will burn up. Is it even a good idea to push this card any harder? Can this be done simply through EVGA's Precision tool?
a c 251 U Graphics card
a c 138 K Overclocking
August 12, 2012 10:23:25 PM

Your link goes to Neweggs home page.
The Evga Precision-X software is a great utility to do monitoring and overclocking of the video card. If you have a Superclocked model then it's already overclocked quite a bit and most likely only has limited foom to overclock. Having said that the amount that you will be able to overclock will not give you enough performance increase to make it worth the extra effort because now it's going to take some doing to go higher. To gain 5 fps more or less is not going to be noticeable or worth it.
August 12, 2012 10:58:57 PM

Using EVGA Precision, GPU-Z, and FurMark I went ahead and started slowly raising my Memory Clock and Core Clock. 5-minute interval stress testing w/ 4xMSAA,FS,1920x1080 resolution in FurMark resulted in me concluding that about 2355Mhz on the memory clock, and about 1045Mhz on the Core Clock was a stable overclock. However, upon running Metro 2033 for any length of time would result in OpenGL crashes or me having to hard reset my computer. Just by starting from the "factory overclocked stock" settings and working my way slowly up by testing stability by playing Metro 2033 resulted in a 2148Mhz Memory Clock/950Mhz Core Clock. I stopped here and it seems to be stable. Any chance it could go higher on stock voltages?
Related resources
a c 251 U Graphics card
a c 138 K Overclocking
August 12, 2012 11:26:40 PM

No and that's because as I had mentioned earlier that the card you have is factory overclocked and that means that they took a stock card and overclocked it at the factory so that cuts the amount of overclocking that you can get on stock voltages.
Once you start overclocking you can only go so far without adding voltage and at some point you have to start adding.
A stock 560Ti is clocked at 822mhz and a Supercloced model comes in at 900 mhz so it's already been clocked by 78 mhz and you went another 50 mhz for a total of 128mhz on stock voltage so you now have to start adding voltage if you want to go higher.
The game Metro will stress a video card pretty good but when overclocking you want something to do that and 100% load is a common thing to do for a stress test.
August 12, 2012 11:33:02 PM

Quote:
The game Metro will stress a video card pretty good but when overclocking you want something to do that and 100% load is a common thing to do for a stress test.

Is there any program you can recommend that would give an accurate result? The fact that FurMark was pushing the card to its max and ultimately ended with me not being able to follow the results i was getting is rather disheartening. Why would card not just crash while being loaded by FurMark but then go ahead and crash when running a game that stressed it far less?
a c 251 U Graphics card
a c 138 K Overclocking
August 12, 2012 11:36:55 PM

http://www.futuremark.com/

This is different from Furmark and will give you the results your looking for. It is like anything else in that if you buy the upgraded program you get more.
August 12, 2012 11:44:30 PM

inzone said:
http://www.futuremark.com/

This is different from Furmark and will give you the results your looking for. It is like anything else in that if you buy the upgraded program you get more.

Thank you, I'll give this a try. I'd still like to know why FurMark stressing my card would not cause it to crash at 1000Mhz/2355Mhz but running a game would then cause me to completely readjust my clock speeds. I understand I could easily hit those with a volt increase but this card runs hot as is and I don't feel safe going up in voltage.
a c 251 U Graphics card
a c 138 K Overclocking
August 13, 2012 2:10:50 AM

Does your case have a fan in the side panel? If not you can add one there as it would blow cooler air directly onto the video card area and provide the fans on the card with cooler fresh air.
August 13, 2012 6:26:54 AM

inzone said:
Does your case have a fan in the side panel? If not you can add one there as it would blow cooler air directly onto the video card area and provide the fans on the card with cooler fresh air.

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Added Fan: Antec TRICOOL120MM 120mm Case Fan

I went cheap on a side fan just for the sake of putting one in, in hindsight, with an air cooled rig atm, that was a rather bad idea. The card doesn't get ridiculously hot like I like to imagine, but I prefer to see low temps. Roughly 30-35C idle, 40-50C under load, and heavy load is usually mid 60C. It isn't terribly bad.
a c 251 U Graphics card
a c 138 K Overclocking
August 13, 2012 4:28:56 PM

After looking at your case the spot for the fan on the side panel blows directly onto the video card area. Sp a high cfm fan will help with the cooling of the video card.
I have water cooling on my video cards and at idle the first GTX 580 is sitting at 31c and under load they go up to 45c. You have to know that with air cooling the temps will be slightly higher and yet still be ok. If your at 60c under load then your ok , one thing you should know is that with a gpu the temps can go over 100c and still be fine , a cpu will shut down at that temp but a gpu can go higher some as high as 110c.
February 11, 2013 3:25:32 PM

Glycerine said:
I'm an extremely novice computer builder looking for a dummies guide to overclocking the following card further than its shipped settings. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I purchased the cardabout 6-7 months ago along with a fancy new high end mobo and an I5-2500k with the intent to overclock, but i've been to paranoid to actually attempt it. The card under load is generally around 45-55C with the fan running almost constantly at max RPMs because i'm afraid it will burn up. Is it even a good idea to push this card any harder? Can this be done simply through EVGA's Precision tool?

Ok I currently have a 2600k@4.8ghz on a p67-ud4-b3 gigabyte MB with 2 EVGA 560ti SuperClocked cards in SLI. I use afterburner program to setup my aggressive fan profile that ramps the fans up very quickly once they get over 40c, But not so much that is i am surfing the web or watching a 1080p video they ramp up....my system is very quiet until i game. NOTE:afterburner is better then evga's program

As for a safe 24/7 overclock I unlocked the voltage settings in afterburner along with making my aggressive fan profile. Default voltage for evga 560ti SC cards is 1.050 volts. Well i raise my voltage a whole .025 to 1.075v Cores on both cards is set to 975mhz......If you cannot get 975mhz use 950mhz. My memory even on stock voltage runs at 2400mhz instead of 2106mhz...i do not go over 2400mhz stability problems.. Raising my memory bandwidth from 136GB/s to 153GB/s. Also i would like to note this is a 24/7 setting. Though i have to admit i do run the cards stock here and there perhaps for a week at a time depending if I am not gaming or whatever. But with afterburner and the 5 preset profiles you can save, it takes but a second to use whatever overclock i see fit.
I run the cards at 1015mhz on the core and 2400 on the memory with 1.125 volts for benchmarking......Just ran 3dmark11 and scored 10172 points "link to score.. http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/5887031 Heck this 2600k 560tiSLI setup is 2 years old and i was ranked #3 in the world but a heck of alot more 560ti setups are out now:) 
If you have any questions feel free to email me at vargis14@gmail.com.
Also the serial numbers for my 2 video cards are in order....somehow i got cards made seconds apart pretty amazing serial #s 1112571563000159.....the other card is 160 or 158 i forget. Using GPUZ My ASIC ratings for my cards is 83.4 and 81.4 respectively. I really do not think it makes much difference what the ASIC rating is but who knows.
I also have the whole setup in a Coolermaster HAF922 that has a front 200mm fan that is the only factory fan still in my rig the rest are 5 COUGAR CF-V12HPB Vortex Hydro-Dynamic-Bearing (Fluid) 300,000 Hours 120MM Silent Cooling Fans. 2 in side panel blowing directly on video cards and motherboard vrms ETC. 1 in the bottom of my case in fron of my PSU to blow the colder air in bottom of case upward and i have 2 in a push pull configuration on my H-60 Closed water loop cooler. They are fantastic fans pushing 70cfm @100% making a low pitch air sound but since they are hooked to a fan cotroller They run at 50% and are completely silent untill i game. Also my case is sitting on top of my desk with the side panel right up against a window that has one of those window fans with the twin fans. with temps outside well below zero i blow cold air into my side panel for benchmarking......amazing what you can do with 20f ambient temps :bounce: 
June 23, 2013 7:37:31 AM

Glycerine said:
Using EVGA Precision, GPU-Z, and FurMark I went ahead and started slowly raising my Memory Clock and Core Clock. 5-minute interval stress testing w/ 4xMSAA,FS,1920x1080 resolution in FurMark resulted in me concluding that about 2355Mhz on the memory clock, and about 1045Mhz on the Core Clock was a stable overclock. However, upon running Metro 2033 for any length of time would result in OpenGL crashes or me having to hard reset my computer. Just by starting from the "factory overclocked stock" settings and working my way slowly up by testing stability by playing Metro 2033 resulted in a 2148Mhz Memory Clock/950Mhz Core Clock. I stopped here and it seems to be stable. Any chance it could go higher on stock voltages?

inzone said:
After looking at your case the spot for the fan on the side panel blows directly onto the video card area. Sp a high cfm fan will help with the cooling of the video card.
I have water cooling on my video cards and at idle the first GTX 580 is sitting at 31c and under load they go up to 45c. You have to know that with air cooling the temps will be slightly higher and yet still be ok. If your at 60c under load then your ok , one thing you should know is that with a gpu the temps can go over 100c and still be fine , a cpu will shut down at that temp but a gpu can go higher some as high as 110c.

I though I would add that My 560Tis in SLI are still running at 975mhz core and 2400mhz mem at 1.075 volts. lately i have been playing metro last light and crysis 3 pretty much on max everything minus MSAA...in crysis 3 i am using fxaa both games are averaging 55-70fps.

Do not worry about burning your cards up 75-80c is safe though my cards virtually never hit those temps even with the voltage increase. Also remember I have been running this 2600k between 4.4 and 4.8mhz and 560tis for well over 2 years 24/7 so do not worry about temps80c and under, but i would not let then run at those temps for say 24/7 folding. Most video cards will handle 90c+ for a good gaming session like my HIS iCooler HD7750 w 1GB GDDR5 that has no PCI-e power connection it get all its power from the pci slot. I have a HTPC hooked to my panasonic VT30 55.5 inch 3D plasma powered by a i3-2120 3.3ghz dual core with HT running the hd7750 overclocked from a 800 core to 1125mhz! and the memory from 1125 to 1350mhz! with increased voltage and increased board power. Before i put in some extra case fans in it to supply the graphics card with some fresh air trhe card was hitting 95c and i said OMG. At those temps i had no artifacts or anything. Now that i have the PC in a closet with a small hole to run the cables needed to my 100+ lb 55inch plasma on a wall mount that can move 2ft 11'' off the wall and move in any direction imaginable, since it was in the closet and my overclocked gaming temps were so high i added a couple case fans to give the video card some fresh air and my temps maxed at 80c on the graphics card, I only OC the card when gaming since when it is overclocked it perform like the more power hungry 7770. Also It plays crysis 3 and BF 3 on medium with +60fps average...sometime crysis 3 will dip to the 40s but it still plays butter smooth. Since it was a #D tv i tried diablo 3 in 3d at 1080p but was limited to 24fps because the driver or HDMI setup limits it to that. At 720p 3D it lets you get 60fps. I was blown away at the 3d effects in diablo 3 using the trial tridef 3d driver for AMD cards..especially since it was a dungeon crawler. I used up the trial period and since I did not have enough graphic horsepower with the HD7750 for 3d in BF3 I have not gamed in 3d since. I had my 2600k tower with the 560ti sli hooked up since Nvidia has 3dtv deal...but it was the same 24fps limit at 1080p and 60 at 720p so until i get a 3d monitor for my gaming rig my 3d gaming days are over. Besides i am looking at the new 2560x1080 29'' superwidescreen IPS monitors. I think they will help my gaming better then 3d and the 37'' vizio tv i am using as my gaming monitor now trhat my eyes have to wander about to find enemies in FPS games, since the 29' superwide monitor will give me a much better picture and is more compact so my eyes will not have to wander around as much to find targets.
I would also like to add that you can get another 560ti for under 150$ on ebay and they scale so well from 1 card to sli 2 cards that it pretty much doubles your frame rates. I get anywhere from 70% to 98% performance increase between a snigle card vs 2 cards. Also they do not have to be the same brand cards to work. Its either add another 560ti or spend 300+ on a much better single card solution. Mvidia has come a long way with fame latency with the 560 ti cards. the 560s get better frame latencies in sli then in single card. If you have question about frame latencies google it. Its very interesting that fraps can say you are getting 100fps but since the latency from the video card to the monitor is over 50ms your not getting anything like 100fps displayed on your monitor.
Cheers that was a rant from too much coffee :) 
!