Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PII X4 955 BE High Temps

Last response: in Overclocking
August 12, 2012 2:44:57 PM

I've read pretty much everywhere that the max safe temperature for a 955 is 62C, but I can't seem to get anywhere near that low at max load.

At the moment, I have only a very tiny overclock - 3.4GHz, 1.360V. I can't seem to get any higher than this stable no matter what I try. It won't even boot if I go above 3.6GHz.

With an ambient case temperature of 33C, it idles at 42C and at full load gets up to 68-69 cpu temp and 69-70C core temps. Even at stock settings, it runs at similar temps.

This build is 3 years old and has been running almost 24/7 since it was built (though in the last few months I've been trying to get into the habit of putting it to sleep when I'm not using it). The CPU is C2 stepping, not C3. The case is in an Antec 300 with 140mm top exhaust fan, 120mm rear exhaust fan, 120mm side intake fan and 120mm front intake fan, all set to their highest settings. All fans are working properly. The HSF is an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro and its fan is also working fine.

I've tried reseating the HSF, to no effect. I also routinely clean out dust from the computer and the front fan filter, and did so before taking these readings.

I do intend to replace the case with a HAF 932 when I have the money, but even in this case, it should still be possible to get temperatures below 62C, shouldn't it?

What else can I do to get a more reasonable temperature? And why can't I seem to get it to run stable at anything over 3.4GHz? Even with C2 stepping, it should be able to get to around 3.8GHz, shouldn't it?

More about : pii 955 high temps

a b K Overclocking
August 13, 2012 5:21:12 AM

Are you using 3rd party/aftermarket cooling?

Is your heat sink full of dust?

You have a good case, I'm using a 912 and my P2 x6 1065t is OC'd to 4.05 from 2.9ghz @ 5.0625v (yes it is killing my CPU but oh well) but my temps are 39*C max when gaming because I use the Cooler Master v6 cooler and I have good fans in my case (will post pics if you ask)
m
l
August 13, 2012 5:21:57 AM

bobusboy said:
Are you using 3rd party/aftermarket cooling?

Is your heat sink full of dust?

You have a good case, I'm using a 912 and my P2 x6 1065t is OC'd to 4.05 from 2.9ghz @ 5.0625v (yes it is killing my CPU but oh well) but my temps are 39*C max when gaming because I use the Cooler Master v6 cooler and I have good fans in my case (will post pics if you ask)

Allophyl said:
The HSF is an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
I also routinely clean out dust
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
August 13, 2012 5:35:40 AM

I don't know that cooler, and as for the dust good.

Do you have proper air intake in the front and or the side of your case and proper venting out the top and back? With out pictures I really don't know how to help you might just have a bum CPU.
m
l
August 13, 2012 5:44:49 AM

bobusboy said:
I don't know that cooler, and as for the dust good.

Do you have proper air intake in the front and or the side of your case and proper venting out the top and back? With out pictures I really don't know how to help you might just have a bum CPU.

Allophyl said:
The case is in an Antec 300 with 140mm top exhaust fan, 120mm rear exhaust fan, 120mm side intake fan and 120mm front intake fan, all set to their highest settings.

I've already answered all of these questions. Please take the time to actually read my post if you're going to respond.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 13, 2012 6:19:19 AM

have you applied any thermal paste?
m
l
August 13, 2012 9:18:53 AM

dudewitbow said:
have you applied any thermal paste?

Is this a serious question? I'm pretty sure it'd be impossible to for any cpu run for more than a few minutes before overheating and shutting down if you didn't use thermal paste.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 13, 2012 11:18:13 AM

You sound like you don't want help, maybe provide pictures or constructive feed back to people's responses if you want assistance.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 13, 2012 2:31:22 PM

Allophyl said:
Is this a serious question? I'm pretty sure it'd be impossible to for any cpu run for more than a few minutes before overheating and shutting down if you didn't use thermal paste.

if there was no air gaps between the cpu and the heat sink, you wouldnt need any tim. metal on metal is the best conductor! tim, is used to fill any possible gaps, and should be used sparingly.

those temps are high! what is the ambient temps of your room? I would investigate your heatsink and tim application...
m
l
August 13, 2012 2:34:30 PM

Mt Power said:
if there was no air gaps between the cpu and the heat sink, you wouldnt need any tim. metal on metal is the best conductor! tim, is used to fill any possible gaps, and should be used sparingly.

those temps are high! what is the ambient temps of your room? I would investigate your heatsink and tim application...

Temperature in the room is around 30C. I've already tried reseating the heat sink, as I mentioned.
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 13, 2012 2:52:54 PM

Does the HSF "sound" the same under load as it used to? I know you see it spinning but are you sure it's moving as much air as it always has

I am wondering if the fan itself is no longer moving air as well as it should.

I would expect a fan to make some sort of noise when it starts to fail, but it's not impossible for it to drop RPM and CFM without sounds of distress.

You don't happen to have the stock HSF stashed somewhere do you? If so, I would install that just to be sure it's not a problem with the current HSF.
m
l
August 13, 2012 5:54:30 PM

It's not making any weird noises. When I put my hand behind the HSF, I can feel lots of hot air blowing onto it.
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 13, 2012 6:10:14 PM

Allophyl said:
It's not making any weird noises. When I put my hand behind the HSF, I can feel lots of hot air blowing onto it.

The only other thing I can think of off the top of my head is that the magic pixie dust ( HFC-134a) might have escaped from one of the heat pipes.

Any sign of a crack or hole in any of the heat pipes?
m
l
August 13, 2012 6:48:32 PM

Well Im new here so hello everyone lol .

The big question no one asked is what is your overclock settings ? did you increase your voltage ? if so what volt is it on ?

my 955 hits 3.8 at 54C ( max load )
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 13, 2012 7:04:10 PM

Arctic Freezer Pro 7 is an old cooler, designed for, and other than 4 pin PWM fan change, haven't changed since the S939 days when the TDP was 89 watts. I use the same cooler and it can barely keep my Phenom II 945 at 3.57 Ghz below 55 degrees on a warm summer day. That is with LLC enabled, and optimized and with Vcore at about 1.3 Volts. When I go above 1.3 volts, I quickly hit the 60 degrees. I've experimented with different pastes, etc. The cooler really isn't designed to handle a 125 watt processor when overclocked any.

Your CPU cooler is your reason why the temps are high.

Relative rankings of the cooler here:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Arctic-Cooling-F...

Review of that cooler with data here:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article285-page4.html

Also, as per SPCR (silent pc review above), the calculated best case scenario of that cooler has a 0.21 Degrees C / Watt TDP of increase over ambient, so:

0.21x125+Ambient(33) = 56.25 Degrees C at full load without OC.

With a mild OC at stock Vcore with only a 200 Mhz bump in the speed, the TDP might increase to 125+200/3200*125 ~= 133 watts, so:

0.21x133+Ambient(33) = 61 degrees C at full load with minor OC.

Plus, your Ambient Case temperature is bound to rise when the CPU, VRM PSU are all stressed, so I'd say what you are seeing is inline with expectations of that cooler.
August 13, 2012 8:03:37 PM

Im water cooled ;)  also make sure you have cool & quiet
m
l
August 13, 2012 8:08:58 PM

Thank you very much, maxx. I guess that that explains things. I'll need to get a better HSF once I'm able to.

Is it at all unsafe to be running at these settings, given that it reaches those temperatures?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 13, 2012 8:15:47 PM

Allophyl said:
Thank you very much, maxx. I guess that that explains things. I'll need to get a better HSF once I'm able to.

Is it at all unsafe to be running at these settings, given that it reaches those temperatures?

Well, as per AMD, to paraphrase: the AMD CPUs are capable of very high temperatures without sustaining thermally induced damage (usually electro-migration of thermally enabled electrons), and they have set this around 100 degrees celsius or more if I remember correctly (at least much higher than 62 degrees). However, past about 62 degrees, the computational core begins to yield errors, and my guess is that the junction characteristics change, like capacitance, and conductance, so that a reasonable charge can't be propagated at a target frequency across a junction due to the extra capacitance and reduced conductance, so that the transistor state becomes more ambiguous (between 1-ON, 0-Off). Based on AMD's explanations, I gathered that thermal migration of electrons that are damaging to the internal conduction tracks don't occur below about 100 degrees celsius, but sufficient changes to bulk properties like conductivity, capacitance do occur below 100 degrees to about 62 degrees, so the CPU doesn't run reliably (a well known AMD OC limitation called heat or thermal wall), although there is no damage physically. AMD also said that the CPUs are designed to thermal regulate by forcing shutting down of the computational core provided that at least a heatsink is used so that the heating curve isn't quick, like when someone forgets to install a heatsink and cooks the CPU (the CPU logic didn't have time to react).
m
l
August 13, 2012 8:27:28 PM

The C2 revision runs hot, I'd get a better cooler like Coolermaster's Hyper 212 EVO. I have a Thermaltake Contac 29, and my 965 hits 3.8GHz at 1.4v. It idles at ~40C and hits ~45C+ depending on ambient temperature. I've never had it pass ~51C or so.
m
l
August 21, 2012 10:49:37 AM

Best answer selected by Allophyl.
m
l
!