Sign in with
Your question

Single core to dual core

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 16, 2010 10:17:13 AM

Hello,
i enjoy playing on line with my friends,but must admit to knowing little about the inside of a computer,recently my friends have gone onto battlefield 2 and my computer wont play it.i have a compaq presario amd 64 3700+ windows xp and a nvidia 7600 gt.my question is can i upgrade to a dual core using this computer bearing in mind the whole family use it and i wouldnt want to lose any pics music etc or is it time for a new pc

More about : single core dual core

a b à CPUs
March 16, 2010 10:41:04 AM

Without knowing what motherboard you have it's impossible to know if you can upgrade. But given that your CPU is certainly a Socket 939 chip, it's unlikely that you'll find a decently priced drop-in replacement except perhaps on eBay. You'd be better off buying a new motherboard and CPU. This will certainly require re-installation of Windows, although you wouldn't lose any pics or music as long as you back it up.
a c 133 à CPUs
March 16, 2010 10:41:12 AM

Without your model number of your compaq its hard to tell what would work for sure but you might be able to go with either An ATHLON 64 x2 6000+ windsor 3.0ghz this would be the best processor that would fit but again til you tell us the mosel number for it thats only a guess also you will need a better video card and for that i suggest atleast a Nvidia 9800GT or a ATI HD 5670 either card would be a pretty balenced card for your processor.

So post back with your model number.
Related resources
March 16, 2010 10:43:17 AM

if want to use high end game then its time to upgrade your PC ..why your afraid of loosing data, just get new pc & hook you old hard drive to it.. it done..
a b à CPUs
March 16, 2010 10:49:53 AM

Or just get a new computer to game with, and leave that one with all the family's stuff on it alone. That way you don't into trouble for losing everything :) 
a b à CPUs
March 16, 2010 10:53:21 AM

manojgj said:
if want to use high end game then its time to upgrade your PC

He's only looking at playing Battlefield 2. ;)  It's by no means a demanding game (any more), but it is definitely still a RAM hog.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 16, 2010 11:17:58 AM

thanks for all replys model is sr 1639,windows was already installed and there was no re install disk, if i keep this computer could i just get a copy of windows 7,and if i were to get a comp just for gaming would i be ok with a fast dual core or should i think about quad core, i would be on a budget of about 500 pounds max .battlefield 2 company of heroes cod need for speed are the main games we play but obviously i would imagine that games in the near future will be aimed at using the new multi cores so has the dual core got much life left?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 16, 2010 11:22:09 AM

sorry when i said keep this computer i meant if i upgraded it could i add windows 7
a c 133 à CPUs
March 16, 2010 11:39:01 AM

Any info i could find points to Dual core will just not work on that motherboard looks like if you want to upgrade you are gonna have to start fresh sorry.
a b à CPUs
March 16, 2010 11:43:31 AM

A new video card and a dual core CPU would be a better investment than a quad core CPU and the same video card.
a c 83 à CPUs
March 16, 2010 6:29:47 PM

His computer is actually probably socket 754, there are no dual cores for that socket.

My personal cpu recomendation on a budget would be an Athlon II X3. Of course this is assuming you get a new computer since as already mentioned, it isn't compatible with your current computer.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 17, 2010 7:18:17 PM

many thanks, ive got a few things to think about now,hopefully ill be back shooting my friends soon lol see ya
!