Sign in with
Your question

I7-3770k overclocking help

Last response: in Overclocking
August 11, 2012 4:12:09 PM

So I am building a new computer (my first computer build) and I am getting the 3770k processor. I was wondering if anyone by chance knows a sweet spot to overclock this at. I myself have never overclocked anything before so it is all new to me. I am installing a corsair h60 in my rig and will probably go up to an h80 or an h100 if need be. From the research i have done I know this processor get crazy hot if you put to many volts through it. Does anyone by chance know the sweet spot on where to overclock this processor so I can get a decent boost but not have to go to like a crazy full on water cooling system just to keep this thing cool. Thanks in advance.

More about : 3770k overclocking

August 11, 2012 4:33:22 PM

Quote:
So I am building a new computer (my first computer build) and I am getting the 3770k processor. I was wondering if anyone by chance knows a sweet spot to overclock this at. I myself have never overclocked anything before so it is all new to me. I am installing a corsair h60 in my rig and will probably go up to an h80 or an h100 if need be. From the research i have done I know this processor get crazy hot if you put to many volts through it. Does anyone by chance know the sweet spot on where to overclock this processor so I can get a decent boost but not have to go to like a crazy full on water cooling system just to keep this thing cool. Thanks in advance.

hmm... i wouldn't go over 4.6 ghz i would go to 4.3 or 4.4 but make sure the overclock is stable, u never know about these things
m
l
August 11, 2012 4:41:23 PM

Alright sounds good. I appreciate it.
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
August 11, 2012 5:13:53 PM

If you get lucky, you can push your chip to 4.8Ghz with as little as 1.3v.

However, if you're in the majority of the Ivy chips, and don't get such a good overclocker, I would say the max I personally would feel comfortable with is around 4.5Ghz w/ 1.3-1.4v.

A friend of mine has the 3770k OC'd to 4.6Ghz at the moment with 1.35v...the temperatures are insanely hot with an H100 on the 'High' mode.

I think they averaged out to around 98C across all 4 cores with ambient being 25C.
m
l
August 11, 2012 9:33:05 PM

Quote:

m
l
August 11, 2012 9:38:16 PM

Quote:

I'm running the H100 on my 3770k, @5.0 With 1.3v unstable, 4.9 with 1.3v stable and run @ 4.7 24/7
no problems at all for about 5 months.
m
l
August 12, 2012 1:20:38 PM

Quote:
I'm running the H100 on my 3770k, @5.0 With 1.3v unstable, 4.9 with 1.3v stable and run @ 4.7 24/7
no problems at all for about 5 months.

What are your temperatures looking like?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 12, 2012 3:22:32 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Overclocking by Mousemonkey
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 12, 2012 3:53:34 PM

Good luck Ivy doesn't overclock very well compared to what it replaced. Second most likely you won't hit 4.8ghz but will barely manage 4.3ghz all due to the lack of proper heat transfer from the core to the integrated heat spreader. Intel used instead of fluxless solder had used low grade thermal compound. Second there is a gap between the core and the heat spreader, it is always there but the solder did a good job of negating that. So heat builds up quickly before it passes through the heat spreader.

To cut it short your clocks will be limited, if you are going to be one of those extreme modders then you can hunt around online for some indium and melt it to the core while reapplying the heat spreader. It will then give you very similar thermals as the previous generation.

The other option I have already done and it only allows similar clocks but at lower volts.
m
l
!