Sign in with
Your question

5870 after market air cooling?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 5, 2010 6:41:44 PM

It seems like its taken for ever for an after market cooling solution to come out for the 5870....... I can't remember it taking this long with other cards but this is the first card i bought at the release date.
January 5, 2010 6:46:12 PM

You got one at the release date? What did you do, hold up the warehouse? :p 

I've not seen anything about aftermarket coolers either, but it doesn't seem that long to me. I'd expect them in another month or two.
January 6, 2010 2:57:59 AM

I have done a little research, and I know Zalman doesn't list it, but the VF1000 should work. I had used the VF on a 4870 and it uses the 3" mount holes just like the 5800 series. The die should be about the same size, but im kinda skittish about ripping the cooler of my 5870. I mean, If my sediments are right, all I should need are enough ram sinks and probably a block for the voltage regulators. Or would that be kinda moot since the 4870 ran fine w/o it and the 58 series are using less power.... so... should i take the plunge, or is there anyone else that knows better?
Related resources
January 6, 2010 7:38:36 PM

WoW, I always miss A/C. That was going to be a second choice for my 4870's. If the 5870 was added, then it must work with the VF1000
February 1, 2010 8:25:18 PM

frozenlead said:
You got one at the release date? What did you do, hold up the warehouse? :p 

I've not seen anything about aftermarket coolers either, but it doesn't seem that long to me. I'd expect them in another month or two.

Not sure i think it was a rare case of good luck. I went to Newegg to by a gpu... and was like hmmm.... whats a 5870? (adds to cart) Hours later after reading benchmarks...(clicks the buy button.)

So anyone spot any aftermarket 5870 coolers wandering the plains yet?
February 1, 2010 8:26:24 PM

Besides the Accelero L2 Pro....
February 1, 2010 8:38:26 PM

wcarthurii said:
I have done a little research, and I know Zalman doesn't list it, but the VF1000 should work. I had used the VF on a 4870 and it uses the 3" mount holes just like the 5800 series. The die should be about the same size, but im kinda skittish about ripping the cooler of my 5870. I mean, If my sediments are right, all I should need are enough ram sinks and probably a block for the voltage regulators. Or would that be kinda moot since the 4870 ran fine w/o it and the 58 series are using less power.... so... should i take the plunge, or is there anyone else that knows better?

The Zalman VF1000 does indeed work - I have one on my 5870, and it does help with the temps and noise.
February 2, 2010 2:48:56 PM

What temp are the vrms with setup?
a c 147 U Graphics card
February 2, 2010 3:04:24 PM

The 5870 is hot and loud? I thought the stock cooler was quite good. I mean in game it does kick up the fan, but I can't hear anything over the explosions. At idle its all but silent.

Are you overclocking? I had mine up to 950MHz and with a voltage increase and it never touched 90C, hovered high 80's. And that was hitting it pretty hard with Vantage. Without an overclock i haven't seen it get much over 80C in the heaviest GPU taxing games. Modern Warefare 2 makes it laugh at 58C-60C.
February 2, 2010 3:04:24 PM

I still have my Zalman VF1000 leftover from my 4850. I may try this. Though, my temps with the stock HS are just fine ~30c idle, ~58c load.
a c 147 U Graphics card
February 2, 2010 3:28:59 PM

I'm done with aftermarket GPU coolers. I've bought so many of these in the past. I just buy the awesome cards and use the stock coolers. These cards don't get hot like the old x1900 cards used to. 100C on stock cooling at load? Whoooa. :-P
February 2, 2010 3:38:09 PM

Wow that thing could double as winter heater!
a c 147 U Graphics card
February 2, 2010 3:38:34 PM

That thing is a MONSTER!

PS, you don't even see a ton of gain from OCing a 5870 anyways. Why dump $50 into a cooler? From the review I've seen a 150GPU overclock only yeilds 1-5 FPS on any given game. That means you have to get it up to 1000GHZ on the GPU.. I am an enthusiast, but really that is some BAD scaling and even I am not worried about it.
February 2, 2010 3:51:00 PM

jay2tall said:
That thing is a MONSTER!

PS, you don't even see a ton of gain from OCing a 5870 anyways. Why dump $50 into a cooler? From the review I've seen a 150GPU overclock only yeilds 1-5 FPS on any given game. That means you have to get it up to 1000GHZ on the GPU.. I am an enthusiast, but really that is some BAD scaling and even I am not worried about it.

Truth. I dinked around with OC'ing my 5870. No huge gains. The card already runs all the games I play at 60+ fps @ high settings. Another 1-5fps is not noticeable at all. It just wasn't worth the extra heat, power usage, etc etc... Not to me at least :) 
February 2, 2010 3:55:23 PM

This is a lot cheaper then selling my 5870 and trying to buy a vapor X card. If i get a minor gain and the machines quieter then I'm happy it. ( I did pick up 10 fps from just bumping it to 870 , 1285 in grid 2 @ 1920x1080)
February 2, 2010 3:56:12 PM

This thing says it's CF/SLI compatible, but I don't see how that's possible unless you've a ridiculous amount of space between your cards on your motherboard. Is that just it?

I'm with jay though on GPU OCing; I've never seen much gain from it in the past and the things get hot enough already. But the stock 5870 cooler is pretty good.

Plus, when you have two, your FPS are already through the roof, anyway. :kaola: 
February 2, 2010 4:00:59 PM

frozenlead said:
This thing says it's CF/SLI compatible, but I don't see how that's possible unless you've a ridiculous amount of space between your cards on your motherboard. Is that just it?

I'm with jay though on GPU OCing; I've never seen much gain from it in the past and the things get hot enough already. But the stock 5870 cooler is pretty good.

Plus, when you have two, your FPS are already through the roof, anyway. :kaola: 

I was impressed by it but it does sit very close to where i sleep so.... When I do install it i will post result for those who maybe interested.
a c 147 U Graphics card
February 2, 2010 4:52:35 PM

brett1042002 said:
Truth. I dinked around with OC'ing my 5870. No huge gains. The card already runs all the games I play at 60+ fps @ high settings. Another 1-5fps is not noticeable at all. It just wasn't worth the extra heat, power usage, etc etc... Not to me at least :) 

I think we are on the same page here.
February 2, 2010 5:29:39 PM

jay2tall said:
I think we are on the same page here.

eh to eachs own really... Not sure why anyone would buy an enthusiast card an not enjoy free extra performance or even be concerned with efficiency. (You don't see people turning down free money do ya?)

Extra heat is solved by better cooler which also solves the noise issue as a bonus. Seems pretty elementary to me...
February 2, 2010 5:41:30 PM

I do ask that you please do not crowd the post with opinions. It's sucks to have to look threw a ton of irrelevant answers to the actually question. Which is....

Are there better coolers for 5870?

So far we have the
Zalman VF1000 (verified)
Accelero TWINTURBO (verified)
ProlimaTech MK-13 Heat-Pipe VGA Cooler (unconfirmed performance)

a c 147 U Graphics card
February 2, 2010 6:29:20 PM

konjiki7 said:
eh to eachs own really... Not sure why anyone would buy an enthusiast card an not enjoy free extra performance or even be concerned with efficiency. (You don't see people turning down free money do ya?)

Extra heat is solved by better cooler which also solves the noise issue as a bonus. Seems pretty elementary to me...

Perfmance is never free. Lower efficiency = more power. Extra Heat = better cooler (that is if you want lower temps). So it is never really free you are paying for it either way. I am all over overclocking on the stock cooler, but I have personally not seen much benefit and I LOVE to overclock.

I am not a total fan of Zalman, the ProlimaTech MK-13 looks like a beast and would cool quite well, but the Arctic Cooler accelero looks nice to and I've had nothing but good experience with their coolers in the past.
February 3, 2010 2:26:04 AM

jay2tall said:
The 5870 is hot and loud? I thought the stock cooler was quite good. I mean in game it does kick up the fan, but I can't hear anything over the explosions. At idle its all but silent.

Are you overclocking? I had mine up to 950MHz and with a voltage increase and it never touched 90C, hovered high 80's. And that was hitting it pretty hard with Vantage. Without an overclock i haven't seen it get much over 80C in the heaviest GPU taxing games. Modern Warefare 2 makes it laugh at 58C-60C.

Sorry, should have said the VF1000 keeps it cooler & quieter, though the stock cooler worked just fine. I had an extra VF100 sitting around, so I gave it a try. Now it rarely goes over 65c during full load. And yes, I am overclocking to 900mhz.
February 4, 2010 5:51:30 PM

I have the asus 5870 with the built in volt tweak. 1005 @ 1295 vcore 1.3 at this speed the stock cooler holds steady at 66c under full load.

I'm hoping the ac cooler that's coming in the mail will drop the temps even lower.
February 12, 2010 4:37:10 PM

!!!UPDATE!!!

A/C cooler is amazing

The results are as follows 1017 @ 1300 vcore 1.35

Idle 24c full load 54c

I used Msi afterburner because Asus's oc utility seem to want ramped the voltage up to 1.5 after every reboot... Switch seem to solved a lot of bugs i encountered. Will post pictures of the install soon....
!