Sign in with
Your question

Messed up the fan speed on my BFG 8800GTS 512MB

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 5, 2010 6:43:12 PM

What's currently happening:

When I turn on my computer, both of my GFX fans spin up to 100% (Leafblower Mode), as normal.

Then the system posts, and the first card spins down to what I believe is AUTO, while the second card remains on Leafblower Mode. When I get to the OS, I can use EVGA Precision to manually control the fans on both cards independently, and when #1 is on AUTO, it sits at 35% duty around 58C silent. When I set #2 to AUTO the fan spins to 100% instantly, while still in the neighborhood of 50-55C.

What I think I did to mess it up:

I played with RivaTuner a few months back, setting up profiles and having all kinds of fun. I enjoyed the geek factor and the control I had over clocks and speeds, but I guess I really didn't know what I was messing with. I can't remember what I did in Riva when I made those changes (driver level/OS level or what) I'm not sure but doesn't Riva write fan settings into the card's BIOS? Did I mess up the defaults on my second card?

What I want to do is get both cards back to normal fan operation. If I could have my cards' idle fan speed never go under 50% that would be fine, I can't hear them there anyway. Can I repair my folly using Riva? Do I need to flash their BIOS? Big Question: Is there an Know-All End-All program that will let me tweak fan speeds AND clocks either automatically or with less than 1 or 2 clicks? Any input at all will be hugely appreciated! You guys really help others out alot around here.

System:

Asus P5N-E SLI
Intel Q6600 (Stock clock, no-name aftermarket cooler.)
4GB Gskill DDR2-800
2X BFG 8800GTS 512MB in SLI
500GB Spinpoint F1
Lite-on DVD burner
Antec P193
January 5, 2010 6:58:59 PM

Uninstall EVGA Precision and delete any saved profiles during the uninstall.
Uninstall Rivatuner and do the same, this should restore your system to normal operation.
m
l
January 6, 2010 2:18:40 PM

I was hoping for a bit more information. I haven't uninstalled yet. What I really want to know is this --- IS RivaTuner the ONLY program out there that will let me setup and switch overclocking and fan speed profiles on the fly? --- And CAN RivaTuner or another program do this AUTOMATICALLY when I enter a game?

I'm not around my computer until this weekend, sadness.....

Thanks for any help! I really appreciate it.
m
l
!