Messed up the fan speed on my BFG 8800GTS 512MB

What's currently happening:

When I turn on my computer, both of my GFX fans spin up to 100% (Leafblower Mode), as normal.

Then the system posts, and the first card spins down to what I believe is AUTO, while the second card remains on Leafblower Mode. When I get to the OS, I can use EVGA Precision to manually control the fans on both cards independently, and when #1 is on AUTO, it sits at 35% duty around 58C silent. When I set #2 to AUTO the fan spins to 100% instantly, while still in the neighborhood of 50-55C.

What I think I did to mess it up:

I played with RivaTuner a few months back, setting up profiles and having all kinds of fun. I enjoyed the geek factor and the control I had over clocks and speeds, but I guess I really didn't know what I was messing with. I can't remember what I did in Riva when I made those changes (driver level/OS level or what) I'm not sure but doesn't Riva write fan settings into the card's BIOS? Did I mess up the defaults on my second card?

What I want to do is get both cards back to normal fan operation. If I could have my cards' idle fan speed never go under 50% that would be fine, I can't hear them there anyway. Can I repair my folly using Riva? Do I need to flash their BIOS? Big Question: Is there an Know-All End-All program that will let me tweak fan speeds AND clocks either automatically or with less than 1 or 2 clicks? Any input at all will be hugely appreciated! You guys really help others out alot around here.

System:

Asus P5N-E SLI
Intel Q6600 (Stock clock, no-name aftermarket cooler.)
4GB Gskill DDR2-800
2X BFG 8800GTS 512MB in SLI
500GB Spinpoint F1
Lite-on DVD burner
Antec P193
2 answers Last reply
More about messed speed 8800gts 512mb
  1. Uninstall EVGA Precision and delete any saved profiles during the uninstall.
    Uninstall Rivatuner and do the same, this should restore your system to normal operation.
  2. I was hoping for a bit more information. I haven't uninstalled yet. What I really want to know is this --- IS RivaTuner the ONLY program out there that will let me setup and switch overclocking and fan speed profiles on the fly? --- And CAN RivaTuner or another program do this AUTOMATICALLY when I enter a game?

I'm not around my computer until this weekend, sadness.....

Thanks for any help! I really appreciate it.
Ask a new question

Read More

Tuner Cards Graphics