Processor upgrade

simmonz03

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
I currently have a et1641-02w E-machines computer. It was a quick buy when i didn't have any money and needed a computer. It is currently using a Intel Celeron dual core processor E1400 LGA 775 socket. I have been wondering since the core2's run the same socket could i go out and buy a low end core2 and slap it in my machine. Technically it should work but im not sure if the motherboard can handle the increase.

Any insight on the situation would be greatly appreciated!

~Simmonz

simmonz03

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010

Ok so I was finally able to find out what board i had after much digging, ECS MCP73VT-PM, states support for Socket LGA775 for Intel Core™ 2 Duo / Pentium® D Processor, FSB 1333/1066/800/533 MHz

With that in mind, Cost to performance (bear in mind it has a celeron in it) what would be the best processor to upgrade to around the 80-140 price range.

Again any information or suggestions would be appreciated greatly!

~Simmonz

simmonz03

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Thanks for the input! Ive never been impressed with the quality of ECS boards but im working with what i have. Not really looking for a quad core as i dont trust the board to handle it.

As far as performance of the 6500 and 7500 is there a 30$ difference or will they perform similar in stock situations (not going to OC on this board obviously)

simmonz03

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Well i bit the bullet and went for the 7500, first issue was that the board had threading in the fan mount for the fan it came with and without removing the board from the case i could not add a new fan. I haven't seen to many issues with that proc overheating running stock so i decided to continue to use the old fan.

After running a few of my own tests (haven't ran 3dmark or anything yet) I'm seeing a huge increase in performance. FPS on games have gone up due to the decreased stress on the graphics card. Load times are faster, On vista's performance chart the proc jumped up from 4.6 to 5.7 (still using some lower quality ddr2 ram that hits 4.9 so my score didnt go up to much)

Its still the first day since the upgrade but thank you for your input jsc