Mobo and graphics card fitting problem? SATA Ports

Jouho

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
Alright, so I just got my Zotac! GTX 470 AMP! edition card in today, and I ordered a M4A89TD PRO/USB3 mobo yesterday.

But there may be a problem with fitting the card on the mobo and the interfering SATA port areas.

My soundcard is a pci-e card, so that automatically forces the GTX to go into the second pcie x16 slot.
The card width is ~2.5'', so it may go over the SATA ports.

Would having all right angle sata cables solve the problem, or would the card still not be able to fit?
In my current mobo M4A78E, the card won't fit because of the sata ports area...

Help please, thank you.

Solution
Are you sure it is a "four slot" card as you highlighted in your pick? It will cover your SATA slots only leaving the 1st PCIe x16 slot as a choice. A card that large, I don't think even right angle cables will work. Do you have a link for the card, I'll take a lome at it.

tecmo34

Administrator
My recommendation is drop the sound card or upgrade to a PCI Express x4 compatiable card (yours still might work in the PCIe x4 slot). You want the GPU in the first slot on the motherboard closest to the CPU.

If you go with the second slot, I don't see the SATA connectors causing an issue. They are two slots away from the second PCIe X16 slot, so you'll have clearance in a dual sloted card.

Jouho

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure if my creative soundcard will work in an x4 or not, but it won't matter if the graphics card is in the first pci e x16 slot, because it will cover both the x1 and x4 slots. The card is quite wide.

Please take a link at the picture at http://i37.tinypic.com/16ifksm.jpg

I marked it in paint with red font color to show about the width of the card. See how if I put it in the 2nd x16 slot, it will be over the sata ports?

and if I put it in the first x16 slot, it might completely cover the x1 and x4 slots. :/

tecmo34

Administrator
Are you sure it is a "four slot" card as you highlighted in your pick? It will cover your SATA slots only leaving the 1st PCIe x16 slot as a choice. A card that large, I don't think even right angle cables will work. Do you have a link for the card, I'll take a lome at it.

Solution

tecmo34

Administrator
It is a triple slot card meaning both PCIe (x1 & x4) would be covered. You will have three SATA connectors not covered by the card, so those would be the ones used for your hard drive & DVD.

I still recommend dropping the sound card and use slot 1, as designed. Also, you might want to download the manual ahead of time and just double check to make sure that a single card setup doesn't require the card to be in the first slot to boot (seen it before).

Jouho

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
I checked the manual online, and supposedly both slots are x16, and I didn't find mention of using the first slot if only going to be using one graphics card.

If I do put the card in the first slot, then I'm not going to be able to use a $100+ sound card, so I would probably purchase another.

Reg PCI cards might be just fine, eh? Xonar, Omega Plus+ type cards?

Going to hold off on that though, as I want to see if the system will work with the card in the second slot and my current sound card in the only available slot on the mobo, and with right angle sata cables. :/

Jouho

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
Do you think it would be fine with the 470 in the second x16 slot, and with right angle sata cables only? On the bottom sata row, just 3 sata cables.

They aren't going to be sticking out as much compared to non-angled ones, so it might be okay. The card fan/heatsink area might touch the cables, but I suppose I'll see if it works.

tecmo34

Administrator

Yes, it will be fine in the 2nd slot using right angle connectors or even the normal straight connectors.

Thanks for the best answer nod too :D