Sign in with
Your question

AMD X4 955 build - look good?

Last response: in Systems
January 10, 2010 6:25:12 PM

Still waiting on a reply regarding the advantages of going to an i7 (8 processors) for programming, vb, and light gaming, but until then, I can have this built for $600.00 on cyberpowerpc. I wont save much by purchasing everything through newegg but I won't have to build it either, How do my spec's look?

Questions: Asus vs Gigabyte motherboard? Crossfire or non? (I do light gaming and need to run two monitors), ATI 4650 vs 4670 for $10 difference?

Description
CD: LG 22X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Dual Layer Drive (BLACK COLOR)
CAS: CoolerMaster Storm Scout Gaming Mid-Tower Case w/ Transparent Side Panel [+30]
CPU: AMD Phenom™II X4 955 Black Edition Quad-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology [+36]
FAN: Asetek LCLC 120 Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Extreme Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)
MOTHERBOARD: Asus M4A78LT-M LE AM3 DDR3 AMD 760G/SB710 Chipset DDR3 mATX w/ Integrated ATI Radeon 3000, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB2.0, SATA-II RAID, 1 Gen2 PCIe, 1 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
HDD: Single Hard Drive (500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [-35])
MEMORY: 4GB (2GBx2) PC1333 DDR3 PC3 10666 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)
POWERSUPPLY: 635 Watts Power Supplies [+43] (Sigma Shark SP-635W PSU - SLI Ready)
VIDEO: ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB DDR2 PCI-Express DVI-I & TVO [-79] (Major Brand Powered by ATI)

More about : amd 955 build good

January 10, 2010 10:33:30 PM

As for the components, I am not looking at them, but do yourself a BIG favor, look at there comment boards, and see how the company is run, or just google them, and see reviews.
Here are a few links to give you an idea of the headache you might get, and please look them up. I was thinking of doing the same thing, but now I am not going to go that route, I hate gambling with computers, it just gets too expensive too darn fast.
Here are the links for you

and

and there own customer feed back forum

That last one is so telling, and it is on there own site lol.
I would suggest looking around, unless you do not mind gambling on a computer that works about 50% of the time, yes some of the time you do get what you pay for, and with cyberpower or ibuypower you typically get a lot less with Korean made fake parts.
m
l
January 11, 2010 11:29:18 AM

You really should build it yourself through Newegg. The point isn't saving the money, it's being able to customize the build completely.

Just off the top of my head, that motherboard isn't going to be a good gaming part. Also, you shouldn't be paying for that Storm Scout. Save the upgrade cost and spend it on part of the actual hardware. On the video card, you really, really want one of the new HD 5xxx series. Specifically, the 5770 is best for your price range, but you might not get it in there.
m
l
Related resources
January 11, 2010 2:22:30 PM

MadAdmiral said:
You really should build it yourself through Newegg. The point isn't saving the money, it's being able to customize the build completely.

Just off the top of my head, that motherboard isn't going to be a good gaming part. Also, you shouldn't be paying for that Storm Scout. Save the upgrade cost and spend it on part of the actual hardware. On the video card, you really, really want one of the new HD 5xxx series. Specifically, the 5770 is best for your price range, but you might not get it in there.

Sent you a pm, check it out when you get a second if you would.

What motherboard would you suggest?
m
l
January 11, 2010 2:24:48 PM

I like to recommend the Asus M4A79XTD EVO, but at $110 (after rebate) it can be a bit pricey.
m
l
!