Sign in with
Your question

A worthy build for gaming?

Last response: in Systems
January 10, 2010 6:26:44 PM

I am building this PC on Maingear.com, heard a lot of good things about them. As far the price, I do feel a bit over priced, however knowing their commitment in quality control and reliability, a few hundred $ more is worth it in my opinion. Hey, if you guys think i am being mislead/misinformed please let me know, i am open for anything.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Feb2010 to Mar2010

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: High End game, movies

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Maingear.com

PARTS PREFERENCES: best you see fit

OVERCLOCKING: No

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050 HP w2207h, 1360x768 Samsung 720P HDTV

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Fan cooling. Dual Monitor set up, HDTV will be used to view movies, HP used for gaming.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chassis: MAINGEAR F131 Chassis With One-Piece Aluminum Front Construction - Black

Power Supply: 750W Silverstone Strider Modular Industrial Power Supply

Graphics and GPGPU Accelerator: ATI® Radeon™ HD 5870 1GB GDDR5 DX11

Motherboard: Gigabyte® 790X AM3 Motherboard supporting CrossFire GA-MA790XT-UD4P

Processor: AMD® Phenom™ II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz Quad-core Processor

Processor Cooling: MAINGEAR Certified AMD® Retail Cooler

Memory: 8GB Kingston HyperX Dual-Channel DDR3-1333MHz Low Latency

HDD: 750GB Western Digital Caviar Black SATA 7200rpm 32MB Cache (X2)

RAID: RAID 0 - Increase and speed up your storage array

Memory Card Reader: All-in-One Integrated USB 2.0 Flash Card Reader & Writer

Optical Drive One: 22X Dual Layer DVD RW Drive w/ LightScribe Technology

Audio: 7.1 High Definition Surround Sound Supporting S/DIF Out

Network Adapter: On-board Gigabit Ethernet

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Total: $2,293.99

More about : worthy build gaming

January 10, 2010 6:59:41 PM

it took me a second to realize that you aren't actually assembling your system yourself... which i would definitely recommend. it's more fun, you learn a lot more about your system, and with this setup you'll save a HUGE amount of money. you'll end up with a system that'll be way faster and cost much less.

if you're spending close to 2500 and only getting one video card and a 965... well take a look at some of the more recent sbm from 09 and you'll see what you can do if you build your own.

there are tons and tons of resources and step by step help and nice folks to hold your hand if you've never done it before... it just makes sense to go for it! did i mention it's actually really fun?
!