How much does the motherboard really matter?

tdk08

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
So I picked up a GTX 460 to get my StarCraft II on a few days ago and after some MAJOR issues, I finally got it running. Now, seeing as how it could be getting framerates as high as 110 avg, and I'm only getting 40 avg, I'm thinking it's time for some upgrades. That's where you experts here at Tom's Hardware come in :)

Right now, I have this board, and an X2 5000+ @ 2.6GHz. This is the obvious bottleneck with a game like this, so I was wondering; just how much would a new MB benefit this, other games, and even the general performance of my PC? At the time, I bought this board for 50 bucks as a quick replacement for one that I managed to fry, so it's probably not top quality, but I can't be sure! I have absolutely no clue as to what would or wouldn't be a decent replacement. I know extremely little about MBs. Ask me things about most other components and I could give you an answer, but not these.

As an aside, I was thinking about picking this processor up, as it seemed to be the most bang for my buck. Look alright? StarCraft II doesn't utilize more than 2 cores anyway, so 2 cores seemed to make sense. I'm on a budget here.

Thanks to anyone who is kind enough to help a PC newb like myself out!

Solution
Well motherboards doesn't have a great effect on performance.CPU,RAM and VGA have the most effect.
Phenom II X2 555 would give you a good boost,but the X4 955 is about $40 more and its worth the extra cash IMO.