Drive letter assignment

Hello,
I have installed an external hard drive, a hibachi g drive slim to be exact, windows did not assign a letter, when I go to my computer and manage I highlite the file to change/ assign drives but it won't let me change it, any ideas?
24 answers Last reply
More about drive letter assignment
  1. Hello Kennyb1956,

Just a thought - Did you format your HDD or it came pre-formatted.
  2. I was told it was already formatted, just had to plug it in, it shows up in my computer,and never did create a short cut etc
  3. Try this:

Disconnect HDD, Reboot and connect HDD again.
  4. I have tried that a few time...no luck
  5. Should I perhaps format? If so can you briefly tell me how? Kinda new at this sorry
  6. You could go to Disk Management (where you assign drive letter) and should see an option to format.
  7. But did you follow all instructions for this HDD - like if it came with some CD/software etc.
  8. In disk management it says the drive is Healthy ( GPT Protective Partition) Does that mean anything as to why it's not assigning?
  9. Is it 3TB HDD?
  10. It is a 500GB
  11. I installed a seagate but didn't like it so I un installed it, it installed right out of the box and windows assigned it the letter E
  12. Where did you buy this HDD - I mean is it Brand New out of box.
  13. Yes new out of the box, bought it at an apple store and I was told as soon as I plugged it in that windows would recognize it, no need to format etc
  14. Ya there shouldn't be any need to format then
  15. Reboot and try to connect to a different USB port. If its a Desktop PC, try to connect to a port at the back of your PC.
  16. Yes new out of the box, bought it at an apple store and I was told as soon as I plugged it in that windows would recognize it, no need to format etc
  17. Please reboot and try a different USB port. If you have a desktop, connect to a port at the back.
  18. Disk manager will not allow me to format...I see the file in there just won't let me highlite it so format
  19. How do I ensure that everything from E drive has been deleted? Perhaps that is why it won't assign, not sure what else I can do,
  20. Going by this link http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Change-add-or-remove-a-drive-letter - it says "•To assign a drive letter if one has not already been assigned, click Add, click the letter that you want to use, and then click OK."
    Hope you did the same way
  21. The drive comes pre-formatted in HFS+, a file system made by Apple that Windows can't read.

You have 2 options:
    - Format it in NTFS. Works fine with Windows XP/Vista/7 but Mac OS X will have read-only access.
    - Format it in exFat. Works fine with Windows 7 and Mac OS (from version 10.6.5 onward) but Windows XP needs an update first.
  22. Thanks for the response, but here's the problem, I have found the program in disc management, it's called disk 1. When I click on it a window opens up but the change drive letter/ format options won't open. Windows tells me the program is running but I have no way to access it.
  23. Kennyb1956
    Thanks for the response, but here's the problem, I have found the program in disc management, it's called disk 1. When I click on it a window opens up but the change drive letter/ format options won't open. Windows tells me the program is running but I have no way to access it.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Computer External Hard Drive Storage