Abit IP35 Pro Bios v.18 Question

gldtiamat

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
Recently, I flashed my bios to the Beta v.18 because I ordered a E0 Stepping Q9550.

On the load screen, at the bottom where the bios versions is listed, it lists as 00. Right now, the flash seems to have worked correctly, but I'm concerned and wondering if this is par the norm.

Thanks!

Pan_Melas

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2013
Hello to everyone

I am bringing this thread up again, because I intend to build a new PC from older and unused hardware that I have in stock. Specifically, it is an Abit IP-35 Pro motherboard (v. 1.1), which is going to be fitted with an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Processor, like the one used from the Thread Starter.

As we all know, Abit has ceased its operations. However, the brand remains under UNIVERSAL and still seems to offer support to the end users. In the following link, I can see that the latest official BIOS version is v.17:

http://abit.ws/page/en/download/download_bios_detail.php@pFILE_TYPE=Bios&pMAIN_TYPE=Motherboard&pTITLE_ON_SCREEN=IP35+Pro&pSOCKET_TYPE=LGA775

However, I found the v.18 BIOS in the following website:

http://www.lejabeach.com/ABIT/IP35Pro/

In the cited table, the v.18 BIOS is referred as BETA version, although there is a small note above the table, stating that the table is updated on 12/26/2010 by adding Mod BIOS 2010-07-05 IP35 Pro 18ZZZ.rar.

In the same table there is also a warning at the utmost right column, which warns the user not to use any other flasher to flash these BIOS, than those recommended above (Awd890.zip - Awd892.zip - Awd894.zip).

Can anyone tell me about the following?

- Is the v.18 a BETA version or it has become an official one?
- How about the flashing method. As we know, Abit offered a flash utility, usually found in their website or perhaps in the motherboard accompanying CD. The above quoted site gives some other recommended flashers. Can anyone tell me which one to use?

And a last question:
- I still have not tested the existing BIOS version of my motherboard (I am still at building process). I wonder if I find that this is v.17 (the latest "official" in the Universal Abit site), should I keep it or should I go for the v.18 one?

Thanks in advance.
-

Pan_Melas

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2013

Some fresher news, related to my above (last) question:

I temporarily fitted another CPU, compatible to the older BIOS versions, to check the existing version of my IP35 Pro. Fortunately, it is v.17, meaning that, even I leave it as it is, it will be compatible with the CPU I intend to use (the Core 2 Quad Q9550).

Therefore, my above question can be further formulated as follows:

Is it worth to update the BIOS from v.17 to v.18, or I should keep the v.17 and just forget any update attempts?

Thanks
-

Grepawking

Reputable
Mar 3, 2014
I have the same question about the board but am running a Q6600. My issue is that I can't use any virtualization programs b/c VT-x "isn't supported" it claims, yet this is a function of the CPU and my and your Q9300 support it. From what I understand the V10 remedies this issue and allows for virtualization to work, even though it will be reported as enabled and working within the older bios's.

I would update the BIOS is you want to ever run XP mode, Virtual Box or VMpalyer (I would say it is a good bet in the future for many users). I'll report back if I install it. I just don't like using unofficial BIOS releases more than any other software.

Pan_Melas

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2013

Good evening from Greece

The Q6600 processor was fully supported by this Mothreboard even with previous version BIOS (I believe that v. 14 was the one providing support for this processor family). Nevertheless, updating to BIOS v. 17 will improve other issues, as well. And that version is the latest official from Abit, when the company was still active. Therefore, it is 100% safe and it is recommended. However, the risky point here is the process itself, which has to be carried out under a 100% safe environment (use of UPS is strongly recommended) and the user has to be 100% sure what he is doing.
-