Why does my jumper block only have 4 pins?

metallica435435

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
I am trying to set up 2 hard drives to run from my 1 computer. however, I cannot figure out how to set either of them to slave or master. the first hard drive I have and the one with the OS installed has only a 3 pin jumper block. and the other hard drive has only a 2 pin jumper block. Can I set it up so that the first drive is the master and the second drive is the slave?

metallica435435

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011

They I believe are both SATA and the first drive(one with OS) is a Maxtor DiamondMax 10 Model:6L080M0 while the second drive is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7. thank you again for the reply

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
My quick look says the Maxtor is a SATA unit, and the Seagate 7200.7 is an older ATA (IDE) interface. That means the back edges of them with the connectors will look VERY different.

The Seagate, IF it is IDE, will have this from left to right on the back edge:
1. a 40-pin connector (well, 2 x 20 pins, with 1 pin missing in the middle) for the PATA data ribbon cable that plugs into a mobo IDE port;
2. a set of 8 pins (arranged 2 x 4) for placement of a jumper to establish Master or Slave; and,
3, a set of 4 larger pins in one line that is the power input connector for a Molex 4-pin from your PSU.

A SATA unit will have these:
1. a 15-contact connector for the power input from your PSU;
2. a 7-contact connector for the data ribbon cable that plugs into a mobo SATA port; and,
3. MAYBE some pin pairs for a jumper that you should NOT change! There is NO setting of Master or Slave on any SATA device. Jumpers on SATA units are for different purposes; if you don't know what you are doing, you can actually make your drive unit appear "dead" if you set a jumper wrong on some drives!

Master and Slave settings are relevant ONLY to an IDE port. There is no such thing as a Master drive for the whole machine. There IS a Boot Drive, and may be other data storage drives.

For a quick review of how to set jumpers on IDE (PATA) drives, see my post here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/278100-32-bios-detect-hard-drive#t1895339

TRENDING THREADS