Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Alienware Cooling Unit

Last response: in Overclocking
August 13, 2012 6:15:59 PM

Hi there.

So I was thinking about upgrading my now aging 2008 Alienware Aurora (I think) and going through the list of things I might need. The q9450 processor is liquid cooled currently and is overclocked to 3GHz. I haven't had any problems with the processor AFAIK. Anyway that's not really why I'm here.

I just wanted to know what the deal is with the cooling unit. I cant really see what make or model it is. What is it and is it any good? How long will it last, considering I've had it for 4 years +/-? Is it easy to remove it, swap motherboards and processors and keep using it for the new hardware? It seems pretty big and sits in an awkward place in the case. Here is a picture of it

Now that I think about it, my processor idles at about 41 degrees, is that high for a q9450 at 3GHz?

More about : alienware cooling unit

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
August 13, 2012 6:24:18 PM

i doubt the cooler will fit on another motherboard, and it will not fit on anything but a LGA 775 (which is outdated at this point) motherboard for sure

my Phenom II idles at around 40 as well, overclocked to 4GHz, so you should be alright
August 13, 2012 6:32:08 PM

nna2 said:
i doubt the cooler will fit on another motherboard, and it will not fit on anything but a LGA 775 (which is outdated at this point) motherboard for sure

my Phenom II idles at around 40 as well, overclocked to 4GHz, so you should be alright

I didn't even think logically that it obviously wouldn't work on a new motherboard lol. I am entranced by its mystery. I still would like to know who makes it and if it is any good and people's general opinions on it. Thank you.
m
l
Related resources
a c 150 K Overclocking
August 13, 2012 6:55:41 PM

m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 13, 2012 7:19:03 PM

Those cooling units are generally proprietary, though may be modified for use on another platform. New coolers are cheap enough that it's not worth the time or money to try and modify it, IMHO.

Temps don't matter as long as your PC is running below the thermal ceiling (generally around 70-80C for CPUs), though it is an indicator of how well your system is cooling (i.e. if the loop is bad the CPU will heat up beyond the thermal ceiling). 41C sounds about right for one of these coolers on an OCed C2Q.
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
August 13, 2012 11:58:35 PM

Looks like a closed loop cooler facehugger.
m
l
August 14, 2012 12:06:54 AM

Hmm thanks for all the info. Yup that's the one in those pictures it looks like. I think I can see a barcode on the other side of the unit but I think I'd have to take it apart to even get to it and I don't know exactly whats written there... I cant's see anything other than the barcode. I tried using a mirror to get an angle but I can't see anything still lol. I can possibly give you more information on my computer but at this point I feel as though I've taken enough of your time so I guess I'll just live with the mystery lol. You have all been very helpful though so thanks again!
m
l
August 21, 2012 3:47:43 AM

Best answer selected by the_picard.
m
l
!