Flickering line while gaming with XFX 4890 1GB

G

I get higher than 65 degrees celsius while playing games..that makes flickering lines on my screen while playing...using CCC when i turn on the vertical refresh thing...it shows much less but i get way less performance in some games...but i think getting 60-80 degrees is normal while playing and 45-55 degrees while idle and browsing the web...my psu is 550w...i think its way enough..whats the problem then?

Solution
http://milo.com/w0134ru
this is my psu...is it good? cuz that might be the problem

That shouldn't be the problem unless you're overclocking your GPU a lot. Have you changed any settings in CCC? http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1086/8/. That review will show the maximum power requirements if you are overclocking, so consider that a worst case scenario.

I did a bit of searching and couldn't find any issues pertaining to the PSU you have, so unless you're extremely overclocking both your GPU and CPU, 550W should be plenty.

If you've found it's just with heat you're getting the video tearing, see if you can improve air flow by your GPU a bit. Move some cabling out of the way for it to breath better or see if you have a...
G

with v sync i lag
System Information:
Intel® Core™2 Quad processor Q8300 2.5Ghz
XFX - ATI Radeon HD 4890 1GB DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 Graphics Card
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit Edition

G

I play all my games on 1920x1080 and all games on max sometimes with AA

G

this didnt happen with my old card..GT220...when this temp goes higher than 55 i see those flickering lines...so disturbing while enjoying a game..

I play all my games on 1920x1080 and all games on max sometimes with AA
Well,i give you an example with a good and not very demanding game.
Install COD4 or MW2,then go to video options and set the refresh rate to the maximum value and then enable V-sync,(turn off AA too) and with that your FPS will be locked to your monitors refresh rate which is mostly 60 or 75,then check how much FPS do you get

G

thats just one game...while playing far cry 2 it would lag alot more

G

V Sync ON x8aa 15-30 fps
4xaa 30-40 fps
V Sync OFF x8aa 20-45 fps
4xaa 30-60+ fps

I don't think you need AA for 1920x1080 really,i play at 1920x1200 and turn AA off and it saves some FPS for me :).
However if you don't want those invisible lines to appear then you have to turn on V-sync but as i said it will limit your FPS,best thing you can do is to set the refresh rate to maximum so at least your FPS will go max to 60/75 instead of being locked at 30

G

alright, ill turn v sync on in some games...but is those filckering lines normal? is it ok if i just dont care and play with v sync off? i only get those lines with 60 celsius or higher

pandemonium_ctp

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
By flickering, I'm assuming what you're describing is video tearing. If you're not sure, do a video search for samples of video tearing on youtube or something. This is a common problem with all graphics cards and partly due to MS's driver technology.

If you're noticing that it's only happening with a temperature of 60+, get a better heatsink for your GPU, improve air flow in your case, or lower the core/memory clock speeds and voltages if you can. If you end up lowering anything it'll directly affect your performance though.

And no, V-synch doesn't completely correct the issue as it seems to be the common concensus. I get video tearing regardless.

Also, I think games look better without AA. AA "rounds" edges a lot and I like the feel of a more crisp image. Same for blooming effects on too high. That's just me though. >.<

G

Ok i see this is a common problem...right now i cant install any heat sink or get a new psu...but since its fine ill just leave it..because i thought this would burn my whole computer

G

In crysis, i get some jerks and stuttering and sometimes the framerates drops from 30s to low 20s but then it goes back after turning around...is that common or not?
im playing on 1920x1080

G

1920x1080 no aa using ultra high config...even when theres no enemy around it drops down to 20s.....and btw the flickering lines im seeing are going from the bottom to the top of the screen moving...i saw that in most of my games...but i was playing a game that didnt require alot of activity..i didnt see those lines...and those arent invisible lines...im still not sure if its ok

G

1920x1080 no aa using ultra high config...even when theres no enemy around it drops down to 20s.....and btw the flickering lines im seeing are going from the bottom to the top of the screen moving...i saw that in most of my games...but i was playing a game that didnt require alot of activity..i didnt see those lines...and those arent invisible lines...im still not sure if its ok

I am getting the EXACT same thing in every game. Even with nothing around me, no matter what settings im using in the game, if i just move my mouse, i can see the line moving up the screen & the textures kinda seperate where the line is, but it is kind of an invisible line.

Someone has to have some sort of an answer to this, its VERY annoying

BTW im on a i7920 at 3.2ghz with the same xfx 4890

Shawn

G

I am getting the EXACT same thing in every game. Even with nothing around me, no matter what settings im using in the game, if i just move my mouse, i can see the line moving up the screen & the textures kinda seperate where the line is, but it is kind of an invisible line.

Someone has to have some sort of an answer to this, its VERY annoying

BTW im on a i7920 at 3.2ghz with the same xfx 4890

Shawn
whats your psu? and who installed it?

G

bump.

why am i only getting 15~30 fps while playing crysis? 1920x1080 very high no aa

G

http://milo.com/w0134ru
this is my psu...is it good? cuz that might be the problem