Your question
Solved

Flickering line while gaming with XFX 4890 1GB

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
January 6, 2010 2:28:32 AM

I get higher than 65 degrees celsius while playing games..that makes flickering lines on my screen while playing...using CCC when i turn on the vertical refresh thing...it shows much less but i get way less performance in some games...but i think getting 60-80 degrees is normal while playing and 45-55 degrees while idle and browsing the web...my psu is 550w...i think its way enough..whats the problem then?
a c 169 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
January 6, 2010 6:04:55 AM

Post your system sepcs please
Also have you tried enabling V-Sync in the game's video option ?
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
January 6, 2010 11:12:46 AM

with v sync i lag
System Information:
Intel® Core™2 Quad processor Q8300 2.5Ghz
XFX - ATI Radeon HD 4890 1GB DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 Graphics Card
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit Edition
m
l
Related resources
January 6, 2010 11:23:32 AM

How about your cooler?
m
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
January 6, 2010 11:31:00 AM

What game with what settings do you play? also what is your resolution ?
Because V-sync removes those lines with the cost of locking the FPS
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
January 6, 2010 7:50:02 PM

Maziar said:
What game with what settings do you play? also what is your resolution ?
Because V-sync removes those lines with the cost of locking the FPS

I play all my games on 1920x1080 and all games on max sometimes with AA
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
January 6, 2010 8:05:34 PM

this didnt happen with my old card..GT220...when this temp goes higher than 55 i see those flickering lines...so disturbing while enjoying a game..
m
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
January 7, 2010 6:44:27 AM

Quote:
I play all my games on 1920x1080 and all games on max sometimes with AA

Well,i give you an example with a good and not very demanding game.
Install COD4 or MW2,then go to video options and set the refresh rate to the maximum value and then enable V-sync,(turn off AA too) and with that your FPS will be locked to your monitors refresh rate which is mostly 60 or 75,then check how much FPS do you get
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
January 8, 2010 1:31:10 AM

Maziar said:
Well,i give you an example with a good and not very demanding game.
Install COD4 or MW2,then go to video options and set the refresh rate to the maximum value and then enable V-sync,(turn off AA too) and with that your FPS will be locked to your monitors refresh rate which is mostly 60 or 75,then check how much FPS do you get

thats just one game...while playing far cry 2 it would lag alot more
m
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
January 8, 2010 5:43:35 AM

And how much FPS do you get in FC2 with V-sync off/on ?
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
January 8, 2010 7:24:52 PM

Maziar said:
And how much FPS do you get in FC2 with V-sync off/on ?

V Sync ON x8aa 15-30 fps
4xaa 30-40 fps
V Sync OFF x8aa 20-45 fps
4xaa 30-60+ fps
m
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
January 9, 2010 6:38:33 AM

I don't think you need AA for 1920x1080 really,i play at 1920x1200 and turn AA off and it saves some FPS for me :) .
However if you don't want those invisible lines to appear then you have to turn on V-sync but as i said it will limit your FPS,best thing you can do is to set the refresh rate to maximum so at least your FPS will go max to 60/75 instead of being locked at 30
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
January 9, 2010 12:53:55 PM

Maziar said:
I don't think you need AA for 1920x1080 really,i play at 1920x1200 and turn AA off and it saves some FPS for me :) .
However if you don't want those invisible lines to appear then you have to turn on V-sync but as i said it will limit your FPS,best thing you can do is to set the refresh rate to maximum so at least your FPS will go max to 60/75 instead of being locked at 30

alright, ill turn v sync on in some games...but is those filckering lines normal? is it ok if i just dont care and play with v sync off? i only get those lines with 60 celsius or higher
m
l
January 9, 2010 1:20:04 PM

By flickering, I'm assuming what you're describing is video tearing. If you're not sure, do a video search for samples of video tearing on youtube or something. This is a common problem with all graphics cards and partly due to MS's driver technology.

If you're noticing that it's only happening with a temperature of 60+, get a better heatsink for your GPU, improve air flow in your case, or lower the core/memory clock speeds and voltages if you can. If you end up lowering anything it'll directly affect your performance though.

And no, V-synch doesn't completely correct the issue as it seems to be the common concensus. I get video tearing regardless.

Also, I think games look better without AA. AA "rounds" edges a lot and I like the feel of a more crisp image. Same for blooming effects on too high. That's just me though. >.<
m
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
January 9, 2010 1:52:27 PM

I get some invisible lines with V-sync OFF but since i need FPS ( :D  ) i can't turn on V-Sync,i got used to play with these lines
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
January 9, 2010 2:51:24 PM

pandemonium_ctp said:
By flickering, I'm assuming what you're describing is video tearing. If you're not sure, do a video search for samples of video tearing on youtube or something. This is a common problem with all graphics cards and partly due to MS's driver technology.

If you're noticing that it's only happening with a temperature of 60+, get a better heatsink for your GPU, improve air flow in your case, or lower the core/memory clock speeds and voltages if you can. If you end up lowering anything it'll directly affect your performance though.

And no, V-synch doesn't completely correct the issue as it seems to be the common concensus. I get video tearing regardless.

Also, I think games look better without AA. AA "rounds" edges a lot and I like the feel of a more crisp image. Same for blooming effects on too high. That's just me though. >.<

Ok i see this is a common problem...right now i cant install any heat sink or get a new psu...but since its fine ill just leave it..because i thought this would burn my whole computer
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
January 9, 2010 5:37:03 PM

Maziar said:
I get some invisible lines with V-sync OFF but since i need FPS ( :D  ) i can't turn on V-Sync,i got used to play with these lines

In crysis, i get some jerks and stuttering and sometimes the framerates drops from 30s to low 20s but then it goes back after turning around...is that common or not?
im playing on 1920x1080
m
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
January 10, 2010 7:43:17 AM

Well Crysis is a heavy demanding game,i think it goes to 20 when in some fights or in a big area right ?
What are your graphic settings in Crysis ?
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
January 10, 2010 3:59:48 PM

Maziar said:
Well Crysis is a heavy demanding game,i think it goes to 20 when in some fights or in a big area right ?
What are your graphic settings in Crysis ?

1920x1080 no aa using ultra high config...even when theres no enemy around it drops down to 20s.....and btw the flickering lines im seeing are going from the bottom to the top of the screen moving...i saw that in most of my games...but i was playing a game that didnt require alot of activity..i didnt see those lines...and those arent invisible lines...im still not sure if its ok
m
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
January 10, 2010 6:09:28 PM

Can you post a screen shot ?
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
January 10, 2010 10:11:43 PM

Maziar said:

nope i cant...
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
January 14, 2010 4:31:38 AM

Quote:
1920x1080 no aa using ultra high config...even when theres no enemy around it drops down to 20s.....and btw the flickering lines im seeing are going from the bottom to the top of the screen moving...i saw that in most of my games...but i was playing a game that didnt require alot of activity..i didnt see those lines...and those arent invisible lines...im still not sure if its ok

I am getting the EXACT same thing in every game. Even with nothing around me, no matter what settings im using in the game, if i just move my mouse, i can see the line moving up the screen & the textures kinda seperate where the line is, but it is kind of an invisible line.

Someone has to have some sort of an answer to this, its VERY annoying

BTW im on a i7920 at 3.2ghz with the same xfx 4890

Shawn
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
January 14, 2010 9:16:06 PM

Quote:
I am getting the EXACT same thing in every game. Even with nothing around me, no matter what settings im using in the game, if i just move my mouse, i can see the line moving up the screen & the textures kinda seperate where the line is, but it is kind of an invisible line.

Someone has to have some sort of an answer to this, its VERY annoying

BTW im on a i7920 at 3.2ghz with the same xfx 4890

Shawn

whats your psu? and who installed it?
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
January 16, 2010 6:13:14 PM

Maziar said:

bump.

why am i only getting 15~30 fps while playing crysis? 1920x1080 very high no aa
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
January 22, 2010 11:53:40 PM

pandemonium_ctp said:

http://milo.com/w0134ru
this is my psu...is it good? cuz that might be the problem
m
l

Best solution

January 23, 2010 6:03:27 AM

Quote:
http://milo.com/w0134ru
this is my psu...is it good? cuz that might be the problem

That shouldn't be the problem unless you're overclocking your GPU a lot. Have you changed any settings in CCC? http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1086/8/. That review will show the maximum power requirements if you are overclocking, so consider that a worst case scenario.

I did a bit of searching and couldn't find any issues pertaining to the PSU you have, so unless you're extremely overclocking both your GPU and CPU, 550W should be plenty.

If you've found it's just with heat you're getting the video tearing, see if you can improve air flow by your GPU a bit. Move some cabling out of the way for it to breath better or see if you have a socket location for a case fan to be installed by it - a lot of cases have one on the side panel specifically for that. A case fan shouldn't cost more than $15 at a local computer shop.

At least you have a basis of what the cause of the problem is to the tearing. If all else fails, you can probably blame the card or the aftermarket company (XFX).

Have a look here regarding v-sync http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/16504-4890-1gb-screen-tear-issues-sync.html and here regarding triple buffering http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3591&p=4.

Hope this helps!
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
January 29, 2010 11:11:08 PM

Best answer selected by mingdatang.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
January 29, 2010 11:11:20 PM

pandemonium_ctp said:
That shouldn't be the problem unless you're overclocking your GPU a lot. Have you changed any settings in CCC? http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1086/8/. That review will show the maximum power requirements if you are overclocking, so consider that a worst case scenario.

I did a bit of searching and couldn't find any issues pertaining to the PSU you have, so unless you're extremely overclocking both your GPU and CPU, 550W should be plenty.

If you've found it's just with heat you're getting the video tearing, see if you can improve air flow by your GPU a bit. Move some cabling out of the way for it to breath better or see if you have a socket location for a case fan to be installed by it - a lot of cases have one on the side panel specifically for that. A case fan shouldn't cost more than $15 at a local computer shop.

At least you have a basis of what the cause of the problem is to the tearing. If all else fails, you can probably blame the card or the aftermarket company (XFX).

Have a look here regarding v-sync http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/16504-4890-1gb-screen-tear-issues-sync.html and here regarding triple buffering http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3591&p=4.

Hope this helps!

thx.
m
l
!