Sign in with
Your question

How's my first build?

Last response: in Systems
January 10, 2010 9:48:13 PM

Approx Purchase Date: Whenever I can afford it, but based on my monthly budget I'll probably be buying it over the next few months in pieces

Budget Range: under $1k

System Usage: digital art projects (college/work, software like Design Premium CS4), homework, web browsing, maybe some games but they'd be ones like KotOR

Preferred Site for Parts: Amazon or anything someone suggests which is reliable and offers free shipping Country of Origin: USA

Parts not needed: keyboard, mouse, speakers

Overclocking: No

Of course, value for performance is always ideal, but I need this system to last me through college and probably until I can settle into a solid full time job when I can afford to upgrade with better, more fun stuff. So, quality enough for longevity but not so much that I can't afford it. All I've picked off of Amazon except the case, which is Xoxide.

I'm using "Build Your Own PC for Dummies" to do this... really never knew much about computer components, but this is what I've come up with:

Case:
Logisys Black In and Out Case w/ 480W power supply specs

CPU:
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition specs

Motherboard:
Asus M4A78T-E ATX specs

RAM:
Crucial CT2KIT25664BA1339 4GB specs

Hard Drive:
Western Digital 500GB WD5001AALS specs

Optical Drive:
Sony Nec Optiarc AD-7241S-0B specs

Wireless Card:
Super G 802.11BG Wireless PCI specs

GPU:
EVGA 01G-P3-N945-LR GeForce 9400 GT 1GB specs

Monitor:
Samsung XL2370 (picked w/o regard to price because I'm going to weasel it out of my family as a birthday present... :D  ) specs

Windows 7

The mobo has on-board graphics and sound, and since I'm not doing a whole lot that involves sound anyway I'm skipping on a sound card for now. Altogether this should cost me about $800 if I buy through Amazon (excluding the monitor, which I don't intend to pay for...)

All comments, advice, and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

More about : build

January 10, 2010 10:22:00 PM

Your build looks fine with the exception of the case and power supply and video card. Do not skimp on the power supply!

I would recommend that you look into the Antec 200 case and the Antec EA500 power supply:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For a video card, I would recommend the ATI 5750.
!