Graphics card for Intel D915GLVG motherboard

samrat_rao

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
Hi,

I have a rather old system (~4.5 yrs) with an Intel D915GLVG motherboard, P4 2.66GHz and 2GB DDR 400 ram, LG ctr monitor.

The motherboard has a singe PCI express x1 slot. Is worthwhile adding a graphics card like nVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS 460MHz? In a couple of posts elsewhere i read that the x1 slot is not really worth it as it is slower that even the onboard card. (How do i figure out my onboard graphics capability anyway ??)

I do not play games, but i thought that having one may be useful if i install Windows 7 and compiz related stuff of Linux.

Could someone advise on the appropriate option i should take, ie to buy or not to buy?

Thanks.

samrat_rao

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010

Hi hunter,
How do i figure out if i have an AGP slot? Some product features of D915GLVG are here: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d915glvg/sb/CS-020821.htm

Also the motherboard technical info says that D915GLVG has dynamic Video Memory Technology (DVMT) which enables enhanced graphics and memory performance through Direct AGP, and highly efficient memory utilization. Any chance of an AGP slot?

Thanks.

samrat_rao

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010

Hi,

I think that D915GV has a 16x slot and not my D915GLVG :(

You unfortunately do not seem to have an AGP slot, they appear to have only given you two expansion slots which is unfortunate as it will restrict you to PCI card, old and outdated, or a 1x PCI-E 1.0 slot which is rather slow, you can run a 16x card in a 1x slot it just wont perform very well.

samrat_rao

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010

Hi,

So in effect you say that if i am not into gaming it is better to stick to the inbuilt graphics capability...But which will perform better for me PCI-E 1.0 card or a PCI-E 16x card or both worthless, just a rough guess from you...

Windows 7 without the aero theme would work fine for me sans the graphics card?

I thought that since D915GLVG was newer than D915GAV (which has a PCI-E 16x slot) it would be better. This is what happens if one goes buying without knowing the hardware properly.

Thanks for your help.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished

I know!! I told a salesman off in office depot the other day because he couldnt tell me what motherboard or power supply a model had--and refused to open the case to let me look--best buy is just as bad.