Need help selecting gaming case for $50 to $100 range

travisty_13

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
I'm doing my first build (gaming PC for just over $1,000) and I need recomendations for cheap cases.
I'm not overclocking, but the case needs to keep cool as my room really heats up during the summer. I'm hoping to avoid doing after market work like installing extra fans or heat sinks on my own.
I would also like it not to be ugly. Black is good, and the fewer lights the better. I am willing to go over $100 if you can convince me I need to. Please help. Oh, and I am going with an Intel i5-750 CPU with a Radeon 5850 and a corsair 750 watt PSU if that helps.

Lian Li / Lancool Dragon Lord series:

http://www.lancoolpc.com/en/product/product04.php?cl_index=1&sc_index=25&ss_index=62

They come in a variety of configurations and prices under $100.00. mwave.com has the lowest prices in the USA:

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/deepsearch_v3.asp?scriteria=lancool&ALL=y&TP=

BTW - If you are doing your own build you will have to install a cpu heatsink whether it is a stock heatsink that comes with the cpu or a high performance heatsink.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
You're building a new custom machine but you don't want to add fans?

I add fans to everything I build. I like the Antec 300 cases- they look good, are easy to build, have plenty of room inside, have plenty of ventilation. Some people don't like mounting the PS at the bottom of the case though.

I've built 5 in the past year for myself and my office. The case comes with 2 fans already in it, one in the back and one in the top. I add 2 fans in the front. These machines aren't real quiet but I overclock them so I'm more concerned about them staying cool than staying quiet.

There are lots of good cases available, even at low prices. The Antec 300 can be found for around $50 if you look hard, and they even have a version for a few more dollars that already comes with 4 fans.

travisty_13

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010

... I was afraid of this. I'll be sticking with the heat sink that comes (I assume) with the processor. Does the processor also come with thermal compound, or will I have to buy?