Sign in with
Your question

Help ivy bridge throttling

Last response: in Overclocking
August 13, 2012 7:11:20 PM

I have a 3570k and a noctua DH14 air cooler. i have the wierdest problem attempting to overclock. I am at 4.3Ghz and 1.18 volts. When I stress test it, max temps hits 72 with averages in the low 60s.

While stress testing, i can see the speed drop to 3400 and temps drop to the 50s. It does this for a while before clocking back up to 4300. System is 100% stable at this setup, but that looks like a cpu throttle to me??

Since i am only hitting 72 max - as measured by RealTemp 3.7 and OCCT -- why is this happening??

I modified current limits in the bios as well, but havent had any luck. Is my processor defective - and is this a warranty defect (bad thermal sensor)??

System:
asrock pro4 motherboard 1.40 bios
intel 3570K cpu
gigbyte gtx670 video card
noctua dh14 cooler.

Any ideas??

More about : ivy bridge throttling

August 13, 2012 7:21:41 PM

Ok some more info from testing -- this doesn't really seem to be temp related. my processor will do 4.4 and then takes a lot of voltage to hit 4.5. So if I jack up the voltage and bench at 4.5, temps skyrocket to 90s.

So it doesn't look like a temp throttle at 72 if it goes a lot higher.

What else causes a cpu to throttle? 3.4 is the stock speed for the 3570k, so something is happening.....

m
l
August 15, 2012 3:46:26 AM

Solved --

There are two throttles - current limits in the bios (tdp limits), and temp limit.

First I increased short duration limit and long duration limit to 500 watts (max value).
Then I increased primary and secondary plane current limits to 500 amps (max value)

Still throttled -

next I increased long duration to 56s (max value)

Throttling gone.....

ivy is a pain - looks like 4343 (101 *43) is gonna be the sweet spot for this cpu.

m
l
a c 218 à CPUs
a c 138 K Overclocking
August 15, 2012 4:25:01 AM

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-overcloc...

This article may help a little as it pertains to the Ivy Bridge and volyage. It seems like the Ivy Bridge being a low power cpu was not intended to be the overclocking powerhouse that Snady Bridge is. Intel failed to mention this in their promos of the cpu and people are stuck finding out the hard way.
m
l
!