Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Finishing a pc for under 500$

Last response: in Systems
January 10, 2010 11:32:43 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 2-3 months from now BUDGET RANGE: 300 500 to finish this, ive already put about 500 in it.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: GAMING GAMING youtube/surfing and watching movies from time to time.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard/Mouse/PSU (OCZ modxstream 700w)/ Processor (i7 860) Monitor (22")/ Case (HAF 932)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: America

PARTS PREFERENCES: Looking at ATI vid cards atm, but not necesary

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe once I get some free time for research, SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe, once i get enough money to get two cards.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050, 1920x1080, 1920x1200, probably not any higher then that.

Alright, here's the deal. I know its irregular to buy parts a piece at a time like this, but i saved almost 300 dollars by buying these things at the time I did. I'm a noobie at comp building, but ive been doing my research, 1-2 hrs a day for the past month or two. I need a new computer, mines starting to fail me on Framerates (20 in l4d2, 30 in TF2, <20 in red faction guerrilla etc..)

some parts im considering for what i still need ( Mobo, cd/dvd, hdd, videocard, RAM) are

Mobo: either MSI P55-GD65 LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard
OR
Evga P55 LE 123-LF-E653-KR LGA1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard

Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)

CD/DVD: i have no idea, but lite-on is cheapest, and considering that my computer doesnt often have a disc in it, its mostly a matter of price, more than quality or speed.
[/spoiler]
HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: ATI 57xx or 58xx, i havent looked into brands so much, reliable ones would be helpful.

(I'm getting a feeling im missing a part here.)

I really love this website, and I frequently browse it whenever I have questions, and id appreciate it if you could find a reasonable price to finish this rig. =D

More about : finishing 500

Best solution

January 11, 2010 12:00:56 AM

You are right -- you are missing a CPU cooler. Get the Cooler Master Hyper 212. Its only $30, does a good job cooling, and it is much quieter than the stock cooler. It is also much easier to install when the motherboard is out of the case.

The two motherboards you listed MSI and EVGA are equally good -- flip a coin if you can't decide. I might go with the EVGA because I think the black color is cool, but that is not a good reason.

I would recommend that you go with the 5770 graphics card. It offers the best performance for the money, and you can always add a second card later if you need it. Otherwise, if you have the money now, the 5850 will give you excellent performance but it is pricey.

The memory you chose is very good, and the rest of your build looks fine.
January 11, 2010 11:15:03 AM

Thanks for the cpu cooler rec. do you have an idea of what... manufacturer for those cards? like... asus, xfx, diamond, sapphire, etc.. are most reliable? and yeah, i was thinking about the motherboard for the same reason =P
m
l
Related resources
January 11, 2010 11:26:22 AM

For graphic card manufacturers, I like sapphire and XFX. You usually pay a slight premium for XFX cards because they offer a lifetime warranty.

All of these manufacturers use the same chipset from AMD, so it is their quality control on putting the rest of the product together that is a primary factor in determining the reliability. Good luck.
m
l
January 11, 2010 2:26:51 PM

alright, thanks.i think im gonna go with sapphire, im not gonna have these videocards for a lifetime =D
m
l
!