Need help getting an hd 4650 agp to work

Status
Not open for further replies.

agevkired

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
Motherboard is ECS L4VXA2. GPU I'm trying to get working is Gigabyte HD4650 1GB GDDR2. I wiped the computer clean of the nvidia drivers I had before. I can't get any picture from the card. Currently using the latest BIOS.

Solution

I know this is an old post but this is still useful information for those trying to stretch out the life of an aging AGP video card interface. I had to go to the Gigabyte website...
Best thing to do is format it. Drivers with the AGP hotfix are touchy. Unfortunately, the Omega Drivers haven't been updated in a while and thus don't support the 4000 series cards. If you are trying to use the official ATI drivers you will need to apply the AGP hotfix yourself. Google is your best friend there. If you are using the drivers it came with you will have varying success. Likely, the Gigabyte drivers are not signed you will have to install the drivers manually and ignore the not signed warning when you try to install them if you're using XP.

Oh yeah, if you aren't getting any video signal on POST then check to make sure that the card is properly inserted in the AGP slot. Also make sure you plugged in the molex connector(s) properly in the back of the card. If your PSU is too weak and the card does not receive enough power, you won't get a video signal.

agevkired

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
The problem is not getting video signal on POST. The problem is the computer not posting and when it does, it freezes. The power supply is a Just PC jpc-425-12v. it says 430w max, so it should support it. This power supply was first used pretty recently. How do I check if it was inserted correctly? The card did snap in. The molex connecter is connected properly.

agevkired

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
I got this reply from Gigabyte.
Dear customer,
Seems system has memory problem, please test with single stick memory a time, and check if mother board bios has option allow adjust memory voltage match to current memory spec.Test grapihc card in other system to confirm bad video card or unstable graphic slot on mother board. Also check if graphic slot on mother board is compatible with R465D2-1GI high memory card.

memory is fine and voltage settings match. Can someone tell me about the last part about a motherboard being compatible with high memory card?

patrickh74

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012

I know this is an old post but this is still useful information for those trying to stretch out the life of an aging AGP video card interface. I had to go to the Gigabyte website and download a BIOS update for the video card. I could only get basic drivers to register until the the vid card BIOS update was done. This is NOT a motherboard BIOS update.
Dell GX270, Intel motherboard, Pentium 4 3.4mhz 800mhz FSB, 4gb DDR 3200 dual channel, 500gb SATA HDD and this Gigabyte 1gb DDR2 AGP card and the current hotfix 12.6 drivers downloaded from the ATI (AMD) website

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.