I7 2600k - Accidental Overclock?

shawnw1127

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
First off, I honestly don't know much about overclocking, and I don't really feel the need to overclock right now.

I recently installed a new SSD in my pc and wiped everything to start back from scratch. I flashed the latest BIOS for my board once I was reformatted as well.

Before reformatting, my idle temps on my i7 2600k were about 26-30C tops and about 40C under load (with a Cooler Master V8 cooler). After reformatting my idle temps are about 30-35 (with a decent amount of fluctuation on all cores) and under load my temps get up to the mid 60s.

I'm using Real Temp to check my temps and what I also noticed is that my clock speed is getting up to 4.4ghz. The thing is I dont recall overclocking my cpu at all or touching any of those settings. I have an ASUS P8P67 LE board and I know their are profiles set up but even when I go into bios and set everything back to "Optimized Defaults" I cant seem to get back to fully stock CPU settings.

Nothing is not working for me or anything and I'm sure some of you would be totally happy with these results but I really dont have a need to be OC'ed right now.

If you guys could help me get back to stock with ease (aka mostly layman's terms) I would really appreciate it.

Specs:

Intel Core i7 2600k
Cooler Master V8 CPU Cooler
Nvidia GTX 670
ASUS P8P67 LE
Corsair 16GB RAM
Samsung 830 SSD 128 GB

shawnw1127

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
I found the cause to my clock speeds.. something called "turbo mode" was enabled in bios and allowing the clock speeds to get up to 4.5ghz as long as the temps were fine. Like I said, I know about nothing regarding overclocking haha. Thanks for the help!

shawnw1127

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
I never actually altered the bios settings in the first place. My temps are still at about 33-35 at idle and hit about 50-53 under full load (prime 95) even after turning turbo mode off. Maybe these temperatures aren't life threatening but I definitely had lower temperatures.

I checked my hsf to make sure I didn't bump it somehow installing my ssd but all looks well.

If you guys think these temperatures are bearable I'll just deal with them until I decide to get a different cooling method.