$700~ Gaming Computer for Girlfriend (Suggestions)

PureSpacy

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: January 15, 2010
BUDGET RANGE: $700-$800

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Internet Browsing, Picture Editing
PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse, Mousepad, Headset, and Monitor.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: NewEgg
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: United States of America

PARTS PREFERENCES: Any suggestions

OVERCLOCKING: No
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No
MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1280x1024

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I want this computer to be fairly future proof for a cheap price (DX11 Video Card; DDR3 RAM; Quad Core CPU; etc)

Hey TomsHardware folks. Long time follower since 1999 ^_^ Just decided to post.

As the title says, I'm making a gaming computer for my girlfriend who got $1500~ back from Grants for College. I don't want to spend more than about $800 since it's not my money. Below is the build I have in mind for her. Tell me what you think.

Case:

Azza Orion ($15 After Mail-In Rebate)

Hard Drive:

320GB Western Digital ($48)

CD/DVD Drive:

LITE-ON 18X DVD-ROM ($20)

*I may use an old Sony X16 DVD ROM I have*

Power Supply:

Sunbeam 750W ($46 After Mail-In Rebate + Shipping)

*I may use a 650W Silverstone Power Supply I have if that can get the job done safely.*

Motherboard:

ECS 770X AM3 ATX ($55 After Mail-In Rebate + Shipping)

CPU (Processor):

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition @ 3.2 GHZ ($165)

RAM Memory:

OCZ Gold 4GB (2x2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 @ 1333 ($79 After Mail-In Rebate +Shipping)

Graphics/Video Card (GPU):

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5750 ($120)

Operating System (OS):

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium @ 64 Bit ($100)

Final Price (After Shipping, Tax, and Rebates):

$693.49

So, it looks like everything, when put together, will run fine and quite well. A 3.2 GHZ Quad Core, 4GB DDR3 Ram, a DirectX 11 Supported Video Card, and parts with plenty of room for upgrading; sounds good right?

Here are some questions I'd like to ask (In Terms of Price for Upgrade Performance)

1. Should I go Intel? If so, should I go Core2Quad or Core i5? Give me some suggestions.

2. Is a 650W power supply enough for this build? That will save me $50~ if so. If it's not that safe to use a 650W power supply then I'll go ahead and buy the 750W one.

3. Is it good I went with DDR3? I see there isn't a big gap in price from DDR2 -> DDR3 RAM Sticks

4. *Please suggest to me any upgrades to Mobo, PSU, GPU, etc that are within reason and not too costly.* I was thinking of upgrading the RAM, Mobo, and Power Supply to trusted common name-brands if the price difference isn't too big

TomsHardWare, I bid you a good day <3 ;)

PureSpacy

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Thanks Niklas_13. I was thinking of going for that Motherboard seeing the award and at a damn good price.

Your upgrades will be about +$90

Grand Total Now: $780

I checked out CyberPowerPC's prices and I can get the same computer for $817. (Including Shipping + Tax + Rebate)

Same Case
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition @ 3.4 GHz (+.2 GHz)
ASUS 770 4/5 Egg Motherboard
800W Power Supply (+50W)
Same RAM
Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 (+from 5750)
Same Hard Drive
Same CD/DVD-ROM
Same Operating System

So for an extra $37 I can have someone build it for her and have it upgraded a bit. For $817 pre-built, shipped, after applied tax, and with a 3 Year Warranty, CyberPowerPC is looking like quite a good deal. Is this a good buy? Anyone with experience with them?

Thanks Nik and anyone else who gives their two cents.

slyder2412

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
Really? I'd think that getting all the components seperate would provide a better overall price. Sorry, i'm not the most well versed but I'll be watching this post and good luck on whatever you choose to do.